Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: How to use weapons that use skills other than the ones in the military screen.  (Read 8265 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I see two awesome things here:
1) Cool implementation of the workaround
2) Someone using my Fallout mod :)

I should definitely make some addon to 1.5 before the next version shows up.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

I learned something new today. Thanks for the necro.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile

This is one of my favourite threads. I remember when it showed up I immediately went and made a (or two) weapon for every single skill, divided into mood, non-mood, and social-skills.

Persuasion bats are still my favourite, though. Them and the pool noodles.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

TOMzors

• Bay Watcher
  • Edirzuden
    • View Profile

very, very useful XD thanks for all your research :)

muahaha!! now to make some Persuasion Hammers....
(sometimes, the child's cries for help can still be heard on the empty tunnels of this fallen fortress)

If only it showed Dwarf Fortress... oh yeah! it does

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This thread is excellent! I'm confused about some parts, though.

Why do you need those wacky ranged skills for weapons otherwise using civilian skills? I thought that if you made a chisel using the stone detailing skill, that a dwarf would pick one up just like a miner would pick up a pick; the chisel would also become a requirement for any engraver trying to ply his trade. If that is not so, then that's pretty unintuitive.

If I understood you all correctly, you are having your dwarves spar using those new weapons and gaining experience in non-combat skills. I'm thinking about doing sort of the opposite, i.e. introducing those "weapons" as tools required for certain jobs, which would have the added effect of arming my civilians.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

You can't introduce weapons as normal tools, that's the issue. The only workaround is to assign them to military dwarves via this trick.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Picks for mining and axes for woodcutting are hardcoded then? That's a shame, as I was looking forward to all sorts of modding.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Woodcutting = SKILL:AXE, and mining = DIGGER: , so yeah, hardcoded.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile

Alright, here we go:

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_STAFF_DRUID]
[NAME:druid staff:druid staves]
[DAMAGE:100:BLUDGEON]
[WEIGHT:70]
[RANGED:HAMMER:BLOWDART]
[SKILL:MAGIC_NATURE]
[TWO_HANDED:5]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:6]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:2]
[STICK_CHANCE:0]

That's the item entry and it's small enough for dwarves to use.

Furthermore, you need to add the following to the entity:

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_STAFF_DRUID]
[PERMITTED_JOB:DRUID]

That ought to cut it. I had to search out the list of skills to figure that out though. If somebody else wants it, I'll post it.

I just read the first page, and...

"MAGIC_NATURE"? I've never seen that before.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

I think it was used for a scripted event in an old 2D version where elves would attack and the druids would turn trees into treants.  It might have been one of those things that was removed before the first release, I don't know.

Ah, here we go:

The elves used to bring druids that animated the trees, but like other bits and pieces of magic it was taken out until something more robust goes in.

The elven druids used to make the trees on your map come alive.  Along with the corpses coming alive during the undead invasion, it was one of the few hard-coded "magic" effects.  I removed those since it needs to be replaced by an actual system rather than haphazard effects.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I think it was there back in 2d for druids. But I haven't tried it in 3d yet though and I think it does nothing.

[EDIT] Ninja'd
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile

This is pretty epic.  However, is there any way to change blowgunners' names?  Tags I've tried:

BLOWGUNNER_NAME
BLOWGUNMAN_NAME
BLOWGUN_NAME
BLOWGUN_USER_NAME
BLOWGUN_MAN_NAME

Trying to add slings into the game which use a non-standard skill. :( Best I can do so far is give them to kobolds only, using the crossbow skill. [CROSSBOWMAN_NAME:slinger:slingers] Pretty sub-optimal, as dorfs can pick up dropped slings and bullets, and use them with their usual Marksdwarf skill.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The profession names found in the DWARF creature entry are the only ones changeable at the moment. If memory serves, this is fully fixed next version.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile

Well, you can also change the Bowman and Lasher job names, I think. Basically only military professions, and possibly fisherdwarves? Not sure.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Isn't bowman already changed? Odd if it isn't, though understandable as dwarfs can't use bows right now. Lasher isn't changable right now. The entire thing's pretty much a hack to give dwarfs the right names for the jobs they use at the moment.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5