Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pushy elves  (Read 1892 times)

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
Pushy elves
« on: October 04, 2008, 02:53:56 am »

I've chopped down about three trees in the passed two game years, and a small number before that, I certainly didn't do any mass logging of any sort.

Only now I get a diplomat issuing a rather dire sounding warning about cutting down trees. What gives? It's not all the logs I imported is it?
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pushy elves
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 03:18:16 am »

If you haven't made an agreement with them, yet, about the number of trees you cut, I think he's just trying to intimidate you with no real consequence.

Once you get a tree quota negotiated, that's when the elves get extra pissy.

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 03:26:42 am »

Right, so all the more reason to crack on with building the elf-drowing machine then. I think I'll make it out of wood.
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 03:41:21 am »

I got somethign similar last year. this year a squad of spear elves and wrestlers popped up from ambush. i'd cut down something like... 12 trees.
Magma is overrated.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 09:31:11 am »

Elves and their false threats..... im gonna cut down every tree on my map now, just to lure them into the drowning chamber i made... muhahahahah...*cough cough* MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....HAHAha...ok im done
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 09:49:58 am »

All the more reason to clear cut your map before the elves show up. Make a quantum stockpile next to your carpenters with 5000 logs in it, then stop thinking about wood at all.

Make sure it doesn't catch fire, though.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 10:28:37 am »

just to spite the elves, I turned a thriving forest into a barren land of red sand.
I dammed the river, slashed the trees and plants and burned the ground.
Also happy magma
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 10:49:58 am »

that is great! in my fortress i could only cut all the trees and dam a brook.

of course, the first time i got a elven diplomat he just gave me a warning. no hi nor bye. only the warning. to make him happy, i cut the last trees in the map. so now i don't cut trees. there is nothing left to cut.

only problem is that it will be a problem to get the 10000 other logs i need for my megaproject. dwarves never bring any, and humans bring only what can fit in 2 wagons

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 12:19:54 pm »

that is great! in my fortress i could only cut all the trees and dam a brook.

of course, the first time i got a elven diplomat he just gave me a warning. no hi nor bye. only the warning. to make him happy, i cut the last trees in the map. so now i don't cut trees. there is nothing left to cut.

only problem is that it will be a problem to get the 10000 other logs i need for my megaproject. dwarves never bring any, and humans bring only what can fit in 2 wagons

You can request Tower-cap logs from the dwarves, and trees do grow back eventually.  It'll just take a while.
>.>
<.<
Or you can cheat for them, but that takes the challenge out of it.
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 12:39:20 pm »

i request tower cap logs from dwarves. they never take more than 4. and their wagon is half empty.

also, i know trees grow again, but 10K logs are many, and i start lagging much (too many dwarves)

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 01:05:30 pm »

This is in one of my favorite fortresses. I embarked on a frozen arctic wasteland of a mountain range, with no vegetation and no surface water that isn't frozen rock-hard all year long. A howling devastation, which was just fine for my band of paranoid isolationists. They dug down to the cave river and began building Paradise. Over the course of the next decade they hollowed out an enormous series of galleries along the east shore of the river, making a fine forest of tower-caps and underground herbs. Metalworking wasn't really a priority for these dwarves, and they'd bought enough wood off of passing caravans (or, initially, collected it once the caravans perished from being locked out in the freezing waste) that there was no need to harvest the trees; the goal was largely just to have a nice place to live underground. They never cut a single tree down.

Eventually, though, an elven diplomat comes and starts making complaints about how the dwarves are butchering trees. "This one's even crazier than the rest of the elves," the dwarves thought to themselves. "No trees existed here until we came along. But, just a moment now. It's so crazy it just might work... The middle and upper galleries, sure, we walk through there all the time and it's lovely. They're carved out of marble and mica, a work of art to behold. But the lower gallery is carved out of granite and nobody ever goes down there. And the rubble heaps are full of waste marble and iron ore from when we carved out Magnetite Hall. How many axes do we have to spare...?"

Once the dwarves got seriously going on their steel industry it became an addiction. Everything's steel, and the lower galleries are a continuous rolling clear-cutting operation. Good idea, elves! :)

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 02:01:59 pm »

I crushed the last elven traders in a cave-in (like I do every spring), the elven diplomat immediately left unhappy because there was an axe stuck in his arm, and I cut down about 800 trees to make bookshelves for my library.

And yet the elves returned again to trade this year. These are extremely tolerant elves.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 04:19:46 pm »

What's this about my elves?
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 05:55:21 pm »

I routinely deforest massive quadrants of "Heavily" forested biomes, and in all the games I've played I have never, EVER been asked by the elves to stop cutting trees.

I have a theory that this dialogue is NOT triggered by cutting trees, but rather by the sort of trade goods they see in your depot. Specifically...I make a point of never allowing any wooden items to touch the depot when the elves show up. Only stonecrafts and prepared meals that aren't in barrels.

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 06:53:43 pm »

I know there's a population mark you have to hit before they start making forest-preservation threats.  I think maybe the mayor?  My crappy computer is such that I can't play with more than 40 dwarves before things get uncomfortable, so I rarely see that.
Pages: [1] 2