Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin Fortress?  (Read 1289 times)

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin Fortress?
« on: October 03, 2008, 02:14:34 am »

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried swapping Goblins and Dwarves, and how did it work out? If not, could someone help me figure out how to mod it myself? I'm good at twaeking everything up until embark, where the lack of [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] on the Dwarves and the appearance of the same tag on Goblins seems to crash DF.

Help would be apprieciated, thank you in advance!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 02:28:15 am »

Have you checked the errorlog.txt file?

Removing [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] from dwarves and placing it on goblins makes it work for me.

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 02:37:56 am »

"Error Initializing Text: data/speech/goblin.txt"
This is the only reason I am given. Not sure what I've done wrong during my random "Mod the Goblins to breed like rabbits and take over worldgen" spree.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 03:05:50 am »

:<
Well apparently that modding broke something. I always backup when modding, because miss a tag or whatnot and you can really screw stuff up.

Try from a fresh install and redo [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] and add [liTTER:2:4] to Gobbos instead of multiple_litter_rare? It will work.

Deathbane

• Bay Watcher
  • Unus volatilis angelus, aeria gloriis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 03:22:30 pm »

littersize wont effect this, and because you can have multiple civs with [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] these solutions wont fix it, apart from maybe a fresh install. Why its giving you errors with the goblins speech file i dont know, check their SPEECH tags if you have made any changes, and check that the data/speech/goblin file is still there. If not, reinstall dwarf fortress.

Sorry, but without further information there isnt alot i can do to help!
Creator of the Chaos Reigns and Age of Heroes modifications.

Developer of the Adventurer Roleplaying game system, assistance required!

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46859.0

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 03:34:58 pm »

Also note, giving the civ controllable tag to every civ won't cause errors. There might be problems with civ entities not having the right tags(Like goblins lacking a woodcutter or something, or kobolds missing speech tags or something), but when you choose a place to embark, the civ you choose to come from will determine what race your fortress is. If it is a goblin civ, you get gobbos. If it is dwarven, you get dwarves.

Unless my files are just weird compared to others. Goblins play fine with just the civ and adventurer control tags.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 10:58:46 pm »

I re-installed and everything worked fine. I wonder what was wrong with it though? Thanks to the lot of you for your help. Now, can someone tell me what races will trade with goblins?

cecilkorik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 03:44:11 pm »

From my experience, no races in the default install will trade with Goblins. I believe only another civ with the [EVIL] tag will trade with them, not including Kobolds who don't seem to have an economy to speak of. Races that don't have the [EVIL] tag (yes, that means Dwarves, Humans, and Elves) will all siege you.

You can try adding the [EVIL] tag to the Dwarves and maybe Humans if you want them to trade, rather than siege you.

Alternately, you could create some copies of the default civs who are evil. (Eg, copy the Elves to make some Drow, copy the Dwarves to make Duergar/Dark Dwarves/Deep Dwarves whatever you want to call them)

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 04:38:55 pm »

Kobolds trade with no one because they can not speak.

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 01:00:42 am »

Hmm, perhaps I will add in a few evil races as you say, It seems to be the best choice. And it gives me more modding opportunities! :P I love modding.

As an aside, does anyone know how to get CIVs to go to WAR in the recent version? I'm sick of popping a goblin in the middle of a human town and being greeted warmly.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 02:56:26 am by Kay »