Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Seriously f**k pumps  (Read 4395 times)

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Seriously f**k pumps
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2008, 10:11:02 pm »

do you want to build giant axle connections with associated power plants to open doors? yeah i dont want to do that with pumps and power plants.
You do, amazingly, make a valid point here. Perhaps doors, bridges, etc. should require power of some sort to operate, in the future. That would create an extra level of depth and realism, which many players (myself included) would enjoy. Thank you for giving me this idea! I may well post it as a suggestion.

I've actually suggested that before (via IRC), but mostly tongue in cheek.  A list of features I wanted was:

1) Requiring a winch above a floodgate, allowing the floodgate to be lifted up and down,
2) Requiring a bridge to be winched to raise,
3) A counterweight system which would allow you to store "winching energy", so you could drop a counterweight to raise a bridge without having to winch it.
4) Allow water wheels and other rotational systems to provide winching energy.
5) Hydraulic pressure and steam pressure/underpressure could be used to push objects they are attached to.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

EvilCheerio

• Bay Watcher
  • Whats Candlejack doing h
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2008, 02:58:41 am »

i should probably make another thread for this, but on the topic of improved mechanics, i think we have to make sure not to go too far with mechanics. We have to realize that the screw pump should be one of the most complicated pieces of machinery, and that some of the things suggested ("powered" workshops that run faster for example) are a little out of the range of our little dwarven friends minions. I like the idea of winches and counterweights, but just make sure to ask yourselves if it's in your dwarves league to make these sort of contraptions.

Also, i find it hilarious when people don't think it's a good enough use of their time to use spellcheck.

Delicious wine biscuits
 A real dwarf can survive on meals consisting of Wine, beer, and more wine.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2008, 03:39:55 am »

BAM see popular support. I would personally love actual pipes, when i saw 'an iron pipe' i actually thought i could get a spigot going. Imagine that magma pipe sitting there doing nothing now with a roof of metal pipes filled with water which then gets converted to steam and spins your giant screw turbines- hot baths! PUBLIC SHOWERS AND FOUNTAINS! STATUES+PIPES+WATER/MAGMA/BOOZE! Its not a proper game until you get plumbing involved damnit and i want to dump my prisoners into my refuse pool.

I can see the problem with flood gates as they are often used very early before you have the proper materials but i would love cranes and just general counter weight tech. I love how dwarves build roads and bridges, imagine with a crane they could do the same mass construction with keeps/large stone build orders. Since theres already going to be mine carts you could add giant lifts which would prolly help pathing since they now just need to move a short distance instead of running up and down stairs. The only real problem is you just dont need this much industry haha shit its already easy enough to do these things adding tech would make every fortress a sprawling beacon of industry(if only there was a reason! *hint hint*).

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2008, 04:24:47 am »

Tongue-in-cheek
adj.
"Meant or expressed ironically or facetiously."
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2008, 06:30:04 am »

I've received three moderation reports about this thread.  I'd appreciate it if people not try to argue the who's-a-troll thing out in the thread -- just report if you think there's a problem.

arghy, you mentioned your "rage" associated to pumps 12 or so days ago here, and you still seem upset now.  Despite your assertion that you are trying to drum up popular support on this issue, I don't think you can really claim to be surprised or indignant about the accusations of trolling.  In fact, here you accuse somebody else of trolling with far less cause (just as a method of argumentation, really), and in your second post of this thread you seem to take pride in sophisticated trolling on "multiple levels", unless that was a joke of some kind.

If you just remain civil when you post, I think things will work out a lot better for everybody, especially yourself if you wanted me to read your original post carefully.  As it stands, you've only earned a warning about your behavior.

I dident know how liberal the forums were with swearing as most go from extremes, point noted no more open swearing:D. I get so much shit from these 'respectful' posters who are really just trolls my multiple level statement is basically my shout of denial, i dont care how long they've been posting unless their a mod they arent going to get me to conform to their style of posting. Any 'clever' attempts to undermine my posting shall be met with brute force rants like my second reply, technically i never start these- you'll note the snippy reply to this post.

After excavating huge cisterns to try and redirect that damnable(i wish!) brook i finally gave up and got the pumps working, a couple panic moments when there was leaks and i started flooding the courtyard but i now have it down. I did go off the block on my first post but pumps are still soooo annoying to tackle for the first time, but i digress the current system is still workable. I will eventually make a suggestion post but until then i guess i can only try and help others along but explaining things(like gearboxes ROCK! literally made from rocks so you can build huge resource free chains). I was going to take a picture of my water tower and withdraw my statement last night but when fraps loaded DF crashed haha.

Well, this forum was quite mature and good before. Now its a bit worse, there are some annoying new users. Yes new users like YOU for example. We don't need this behaviour on the forum. I know that you must be very young [..its easy to spot, since you post like a very immature person], but still you should at least TRY to moderate yourself, and post like an adult.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 06:32:03 am by Tormy »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2008, 07:04:48 am »

Geez, you guys must be bored stiff if you're still sitting around and poking this.  The matter has been settled, there's really no need to take offense for the sake of entertainment.  We really need a good discussion thread around here so you lads can get some fresh air, instead of all this hot gas we've had lately.

Also, for future notice (when a real case comes up), telling a troll "you are a troll" qualifies as feeding.  Please don't do it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2008, 07:11:23 am »

I'd just like to note that "f**k pumps" is true even if the first word is a noun and the second is a verb. :P

That said, the pumping issue is as old as the pumps. I don't remember where I saw it, it was some Discovery program, but there were several screwpumps built some time in history, for raising water to somewhere, and they did have to layer them, each pump raising water only a few meters.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Angellus

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2008, 07:47:10 am »

Ah Ah Babbling Insane Stark Raving Mad Human sighted!!!
FORTRESS GUARD GO THERE!! QUICK QUICK....

You are a troll, and troll weak to, fire! Burn him!
Lol, I recon you mean to flame him?

@main poster: I simply drop a windmill a z-level higher as my pump, it's easy, quick and gets the liquid up in lightning speed and continiously, other then a dwarf who does not seem to have had enough training XD...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2008, 08:52:50 am »

I dident know how liberal the forums were with swearing as most go from extremes, point noted no more open swearing:D. I get so much shit from these 'respectful' posters who are really just trolls my multiple level statement is basically my shout of denial, i dont care how long they've been posting unless their a mod they arent going to get me to conform to their style of posting. Any 'clever' attempts to undermine my posting shall be met with brute force rants like my second reply, technically i never start these- you'll note the snippy reply to this post.

The issue isn't open swearing.  Raging posts aren't the proper reply to criticism (or DF's pumps), even if the tone of the original criticism is off, because they only cause further degeneracy.

In addition, your stated intention of making more such posts isn't the proper reply to my attempt at moderation, because it tells me that you'd rather destroy a thread than get it back on track, and that makes allowing you to post here a liability neither I nor the larger community can afford.  If you have a problem with somebody's post, click the "Report to moderator" text below the message in question and let me know what's up.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 09:35:53 am by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2008, 09:33:41 am »

" "?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2008, 09:36:18 am »

Ah, that's right.  The " " is my warning button.

(I didn't leave the original text in the original post as I wanted it to remain as clear as possible when read by the relevant party.  This message, on the other hand, now lacks clarity).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 06:55:59 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2008, 10:39:58 am »

Slightly deviating from the subject, do the screw pump's use Archimedes Screw or is the dwarf operating just scooping up the liquid with his hands and chucking it down the tube?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2008, 11:32:11 am »

Archimedes Screw.
I do have to agree with the Op that, like all things in this game, the hardest is learning how to visualize it.
Pumps don't pressurize? I think I recall they've done it for me. Did he mean not flowing up further, or the body of water it's pumping into no flowing faster?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 11:35:40 am by Idiom »

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2008, 08:04:11 pm »

But toady what if i'm really passionate about pumps? I MUST EXPRESS MY FEEEELINGS FOR PUMPS THROUGH BIPOLAR POSTING!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2008, 09:08:56 pm »

(deleted) *too late to post in this thread*
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4