Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Seriously f**k pumps  (Read 4403 times)

makar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seriously f**k pumps
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 04:23:35 am »

Concerning the pumps not presurising water.

That in fact, is entirely how it should be. We are talking about an archimedes screw type of pump. A giant corkscrew inside a tube. Those don't presurise water, and only can elevate water up to their outlet height.

The picture below shows a naked version of the type of pump used in DF

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Archimedes_screw.JPG

Sareth

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the lever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 05:39:16 am »

People disagreeing =/= troll

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 06:24:34 am »

Arghy: You could just have put a nice, polite, readable topic in the suggestion subforum, but instead chose to make a barely coherent post that read as though written by a nine year-old, then insult the first person who reprimanded you. I do hope you are not doing this solely for the attention.

Whatever the case, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Sareth: Who are you referring to, arghy or Keizo?
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 06:32:31 am »

Concerning the pumps not presurising water.

That in fact, is entirely how it should be. We are talking about an archimedes screw type of pump. A giant corkscrew inside a tube. Those don't presurise water, and only can elevate water up to their outlet height.

The picture below shows a naked version of the type of pump used in DF

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Archimedes_screw.JPG

I just remember people pressurizing magma with screw pumps, so how difficult can water be?

Also, these are Dwarven screw pumps. They likely also have a feature of lighting things on fire while dry pumping, and if you could get a goblin in it somehow, Deathtrap Potential.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Spud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 06:34:10 am »

I made a perpetual motion machine on my first try with pumps.
You just need to be patient and give it a few go's. Its nothing to get upset about.

I had to restructure my pump area about 4 times, and the power is fun to make, i have enough power to power alot of stuff (8-1000). And my whole gear screw pump system takes only 200 something power.

I found it enjoyable to work around the challenges screw pumps presented me, which i beleive is where the enjoyability of this game comes around. you need to think to overcome obstacles and when you finally fail the game ends. :D
I hate it when people answer "whats going on" with "not too much".
Plenty of shit is going on and you know it. Spill motherfucker.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 07:01:47 am »

Your tone is incredibly disrespectful, and your argument is pointless. Threads like this don't deserve attention. If you have suggestions, make them constructive and respectful, and make them in the right place: the suggestion forums.

Word.
Arghy please learn to post in a better way, or if you cannot, stop visiting this forum for good..  ::)
Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 07:07:33 am by Tormy »

theubie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 07:15:46 am »

--Summer Glau

I see what you did there!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 07:23:42 am »

I'm gonna be honest when I say that I've not even touched pumps etc yet whenever I've played. Someday I just have to learn how to use that whole area of mechanics myself. Someday.......but until then I'm pretty much clueless as to how pumps work :P

Skyrage the pumpless...

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 08:10:09 am »

I'm gonna be honest when I say that I've not even touched pumps etc yet whenever I've played. Someday I just have to learn how to use that whole area of mechanics myself. Someday.......but until then I'm pretty much clueless as to how pumps work :P

Skyrage the pumpless...

The exact same goes for me. I don't use them because I don't know how to use them properly yet. When I get the chance, I will learn them (have a map now with a 'broken' brook wall that is slooooooowly flooding the map, so I might use it to test with). Until then, I don't complain about how difficult they are any more than I complain how difficult brain surgery is.
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 09:05:41 am »

Pumps are really cool! Def. start experimenting with them with a few dwarves and pumping by hand before you jump into full power generation (of the over the top original post, one thing is true - power generation and transmitting will chew up a LOT of wood - this is accurate of course, ever been inside an old windmill?). Contrary to popular belief, it's pretty easy to do something simple - like pierce an aquifer - with pumps. All you need is some micromanagement, 2-3 pump operators, one mason or engraver, 2-3 pumps that you assemble, disassemble, and move around as needed, and a drainage channel.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 03:09:13 pm »

I've received three moderation reports about this thread.  I'd appreciate it if people not try to argue the who's-a-troll thing out in the thread -- just report if you think there's a problem.

arghy, you mentioned your "rage" associated to pumps 12 or so days ago here, and you still seem upset now.  Despite your assertion that you are trying to drum up popular support on this issue, I don't think you can really claim to be surprised or indignant about the accusations of trolling.  In fact, here you accuse somebody else of trolling with far less cause (just as a method of argumentation, really), and in your second post of this thread you seem to take pride in sophisticated trolling on "multiple levels", unless that was a joke of some kind.

If you just remain civil when you post, I think things will work out a lot better for everybody, especially yourself if you wanted me to read your original post carefully.  As it stands, you've only earned a warning about your behavior.

I dident know how liberal the forums were with swearing as most go from extremes, point noted no more open swearing:D. I get so much shit from these 'respectful' posters who are really just trolls my multiple level statement is basically my shout of denial, i dont care how long they've been posting unless their a mod they arent going to get me to conform to their style of posting. Any 'clever' attempts to undermine my posting shall be met with brute force rants like my second reply, technically i never start these- you'll note the snippy reply to this post.

After excavating huge cisterns to try and redirect that damnable(i wish!) brook i finally gave up and got the pumps working, a couple panic moments when there was leaks and i started flooding the courtyard but i now have it down. I did go off the block on my first post but pumps are still soooo annoying to tackle for the first time, but i digress the current system is still workable. I will eventually make a suggestion post but until then i guess i can only try and help others along but explaining things(like gearboxes ROCK! literally made from rocks so you can build huge resource free chains). I was going to take a picture of my water tower and withdraw my statement last night but when fraps loaded DF crashed haha.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 03:18:01 pm »

Is this thread still here?  I stopped reading at the word fuck.  Honestly.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 05:05:36 pm »

I dident know how liberal the forums were with swearing as most go from extremes, point noted no more open swearing:D. I get so much shit from these 'respectful' posters who are really just trolls my multiple level statement is basically my shout of denial, i dont care how long they've been posting unless their a mod they arent going to get me to conform to their style of posting. Any 'clever' attempts to undermine my posting shall be met with brute force rants like my second reply, technically i never start these- you'll note the snippy reply to this post.

Go be an angsty teenager somewhere else.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 06:49:59 pm »

Is this thread still here?  I stopped reading at the word fuck.  Honestly.

I stopped reading when he said "HORRIBLE HORRIBLE WOOD."

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 09:56:56 pm »

I get so much shit from these 'respectful' posters who are really just trolls my multiple level statement is basically my shout of denial, i dont care how long they've been posting unless their a mod they arent going to get me to conform to their style of posting. Any 'clever' attempts to undermine my posting shall be met with brute force rants like my second reply, technically i never start these- you'll note the snippy reply to this post.
Now tell me: What makes you think that we are trolls, hmm? No, we are not attempting to get you to conform to our posting style, we are simply trying to prevent you from acting like a complete and utter idiot. Whatever the first statement was supposed to mean, nobody can even read it properly, let alone take it seriously. Having your own posting style is not bad in itself, but this is just ridiculous.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4