Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Seriously f**k pumps  (Read 4402 times)

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seriously f**k pumps
« on: October 02, 2008, 08:34:20 pm »

Out of everything in DF pumps are the worst to learn- first they use wood HORRIBLE HORRIBLE WOOD, second they need MECHANICS! So you now a static limited resource thats never fun to manage depending on your forts location, and then you have a profession thats always secondary. So you build your first pump(and all its assorted unique useless-outside-pumping materials) wheee!, wow those are some vague ass charts!.... this doesnt go up Z levels?! So to actually get up Z levels you now need A POWER PLANT!

Right now your entire plan has been shot to hell and thats just with the pump because you now need to make room for this huge useless pump AND MULTIPLE PUMPS! Adding the power plant introduces fun things like WATER WHEELS, WIND MILLS, GEAR BOXES, AXLES! What resources and professions do these take up? OH WHY THE SAME AS PUMPS!

You've already scrapped your pump idea 5x over because its just retarded and the amount of ITS FUN TO LOSE! you have to go through makes it truly  NOT FUN TO LOSE! why? because there was no room for mistakes and your not going to learn ever because its to friggin outrageous to get the fucker working.

We already have levers that magically connect to doors and traps/pressure plates why do we need magical stick of power(axle) to automate things? we could always just use more mechanisms to simulate horrible horrible axles. If we build giant screw pumps why cant we build them in a giant tube to pump water up multiple levels? instead we have to build giant stacks of pumps which isent realistic and is hugely wasteful. I honestly dont know why this wasent done before because no matter how patient you are pumps and power plants in current form are retarded and wasteful- do you want to build giant axle connections with associated power plants to open doors? yeah i dont want to do that with pumps and power plants.

When i see a dwarf mechanic i think of a dwarf who knows alot about what hes doing- why must you demand i(no friggin clue) design this complex machine? I tell the mechanic, hey you i want to pump water up 4 Z levels then have it cascade through the garden tower, i already got everything else built i just need pumps! So the dwarf tells me, i need these items and how are you going to power it? Wow that sounds alot easier and more realistic then some half ass crazy thing that clearly wont work(you wont know until its finished) which we have to deal with atm.

Fuck your pumps, can we please change them? i'm going to fucking wall off and redirect my brook cause thats faster then your stupid ass pumps.

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
Re: Seriously f**k pumps
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 08:42:53 pm »

Your tone is incredibly disrespectful, and your argument is pointless. Threads like this don't deserve attention. If you have suggestions, make them constructive and respectful, and make them in the right place: the suggestion forums.

Toady worked hard to give you, for free, a game that you don't appreciate. Well, that's fine--but don't come on here and bitch to us about it.

I'm not angry at this person for their pointless, trollish comments. I'm just disappointed.
火族

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 08:43:00 pm »

Actually, I think pumps pressurize water. So if you have a pump and a hollow walled area above the output, the water would fill the tube up. I think.

Although this post seems a bit, well, harsh. Really necessary?

And there is a bit of a difference between pumping water and releasing locks on doors.

Charts?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 10:06:11 pm »

Your tone is incredibly disrespectful, and your argument is pointless. Threads like this don't deserve attention. If you have suggestions, make them constructive and respectful, and make them in the right place: the suggestion forums.

Toady worked hard to give you, for free, a game that you don't appreciate. Well, that's fine--but don't come on here and bitch to us about it.

I'm not angry at this person for their pointless, trollish comments. I'm just disappointed.

Calm down MY GOOD SIR! contrare its people like you who should not post, tis the age of the internet and the basement dwelling 30 year olds who helped build it no longer reign supreme. The mere fact that you call me a trolls shows you are infact a friggin troll and the crappy ones that always attack in the same place, crack your eyes and gaze apon the future, trolling multiple levels with a serious post- my very existence(posting) straddles all realms in between.

The pumps dont pressurize the water which makes zero sense and the charts i was referring to was the very helpful wiki which made the game playable. Just because i fucking swear doesnt mean i'm angry, dear god was i angry when 6 hours of gameplay dident come through yes but it doesnt change the fact. As the suggestion voting points out a mere suggestion isent enough and popular support is often needed HENCE THE POST! before i bother writing up a huge ass suggestion its prolly better to see if i am alone in my views.

I highly doubt toady is finished with anything in DF so anyone attacking him is retarded but still... the pumps eh eh eh eh could make some sweet stress free water towers eh toady? A pull of a lever opens and closes a gate often under extreme pressure meters away with no other mechanical action other then pulling a lever, i have no problem with it nor do i have a problem with connecting a power plant the same way to a vertical shaft. Theres balancing to be done but no annoying axles means theres more room to do it, i would eventually love to be able to make giant steam driven turbines hanging above a magma pit but until then increasing power cost vs range to said object would do very nice.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 10:18:04 pm »

Arghy: Concerned troll is concerned. Reported. Everyone else just ignore.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:21:09 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 11:31:53 pm »

Calm down MY GOOD SIR! contrare its people like you who should not post, tis the age of the internet and the basement dwelling 30 year olds who helped build it no longer reign supreme. The mere fact that you call me a trolls shows you are infact a friggin troll and the crappy ones that always attack in the same place, crack your eyes and gaze apon the future, trolling multiple levels with a serious post- my very existence(posting) straddles all realms in between.

So you admit to being an example of a teenager with no brains?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 11:38:02 pm »

Tee hee *posts*

You are a trolls

I DO NOT BITE MY THUMB AT YOU, SIR

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 11:41:21 pm »

Ah Ah Babbling Insane Stark Raving Mad Human sighted!!!
FORTRESS GUARD GO THERE!! QUICK QUICK....

You are a troll, and troll weak to, fire! Burn him!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 11:43:40 pm »

I don't know... if you take what he says as a joke... a lot of it sounds pretty funny...

At least the first two lines

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 12:09:07 am »

Hes not a troll, hes just raging about how annoying pumps are to set up right now. Im sure we've all done plenty of that but this is the first post Ive seen about it.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seriously, I dislike the Pumps!
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 12:12:52 am »

To me, it isn't that he is complaining... Afterall he makes many good points and no game is beyond scrutany

(I for one also think that many machines need vast improvements and not more complications... especially the Screw Pump which is desperately needed for Aquifier maps and stone maps)

It is the way he goes around to do it. Some Tact was desperately needed... at least in certain areas.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 12:46:10 am by Neonivek »

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 12:25:13 am »

Besides, their SCREW PUMPS. they can raise water above their height in real life too :P
Magma is overrated.

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 01:12:42 am »

Out of everything in DF pumps are the worst to learn- first they use wood HORRIBLE HORRIBLE WOOD,
You do have a point here - they can use wood.[1] Wood can be a somewhat limited resource, however, they do not require wood.[1] If you do not have wood, or do not enjoy using it. I recommend making metal screws and pipe sections, with rock blocks.
second they need MECHANICS!
Is there something wrong with this? Your tone seems to indicate so, but you do not provide a reason why. Also, they require architecture[1] as well. I do not see what is wrong with mechanics being used. It is, in my opinion, a sensible required profession, as well as a useful one. You should always have at least one dwarf with high-leveled mechanics.

So you now a static limited resource
This is not entirely true. Trees do grow back via saplings, though this does take a long time.[2]

thats never fun to manage depending on your forts location
You are correct here. Some biomes do not have trees, which can make the acquisition of lumber difficult. However, as stated earlier, you need not use wood.[1] As well, fun is subjective; some people may find the management of underwater tower-cap farms to be entertaining, which is a viable source of trees in various biomes.[3]

and then you have a profession thats always secondary.
For a moment there, your rant seemed to border on lucidity. However, this seems to have thrown all credibility to the wind, if your poor punctuation and failure to capitalize properly did not already do so. What are you getting at?

So you build your first pump(and all its assorted unique useless-outside-pumping materials)
Blocks are used in several other places,[4] and corkscrews can be placed in weapon traps.[5]

wheee!, wow those are some vague ass charts!....
Once again, you seem to have gone off on a completely different tangent. This is not trigonometry. What exactly are you talking about? I find it difficult to decipher meaning from this sentence.

this doesnt go up Z levels?! So to actually get up Z levels you now need A POWER PLANT!
Not entirely true. You can use manual dwarf power, though it is unreliable.[1]

Right now your entire plan has been shot to hell and thats
Perhaps you should have done some research before deciding to embark upon such an endeavor as making a pumping system. My references list has several resources that may be useful to you, or anyone else, who has trouble using screw pumps.

just with the pump because you now need to make room for this huge useless pump AND MULTIPLE PUMPS!
Your wildly swerving train of thought is severely harming your credibility to make any sort of useful argument, as well as making it incredibly difficult to follow. What do you mean by this? "AND MULTIPLE PUMPS![sic]"? Why would you need more than one pump with power for a task that requires only one pump sans power?

Adding the power plant introduces fun things like WATER WHEELS, WIND MILLS, GEAR BOXES, AXLES! What resources and professions do these take up? OH WHY THE SAME AS PUMPS!
Yes, it does require these things. However, you continue to fail to make an argument as to why requiring mechanics is a negative aspect of screw pump construction.

You've already scrapped your pump idea 5x over because its just retarded[citation needed]

and the amount of ITS FUN TO LOSE![sic]
I do not believe what you are implying here is what is meant by the phrase "Losing is Fun!". I believe most players are entertained by the myriad ways that a fortress can fall into destruction and oblivion; they do not find pleasure in being frustrated by controls and archaic construction methods, as you claim screw pumps require.

you have to go through makes it truly NOT FUN TO LOSE!
See my previous point. Also, I believe you are differing from extremely widely agreed consensus on the prospect that it is not fun to lose.[6]

why? because there was no room for mistakes and your not going to learn ever because its to friggin outrageous to get the fucker working.
Once again, you seem to take dodge away from coherence much like a dwarf dodging into a chasm whilst fighting a naked mole rat. I fail to see what you are attempting to communicate here. Perhaps you could depict your intentions; this seems to work perfectly fine for those in a secretive mood.

We already have levers that magically connect to doors and traps/pressure plates why do we need magical stick of power(axle) to automate things?
There is a certain limit of untrue or incorrectly represented things that one can tolerate before it impacts their enjoyment of a form of entertainment.[7] I believe that screw pumps working with no method of power whatsoever is beyond that limit. Additionally, many players (myself included) find it entertaining and a worthy challenge to have to provide power of some means to our pumps.

we could always just use more mechanisms to simulate horrible horrible axles. If we build giant screw pumps why cant we build them in a giant tube to pump water up multiple levels? instead we have to build giant stacks of pumps which isent realistic and is hugely wasteful.
I am beginning to lose patience with you. Please see my previous point; you seem to have mostly repeated yourself without adding any merit to your argument.

I honestly dont know why this wasent done before because no matter how patient you are pumps and power plants in current form are retarded and wasteful
This is opinion, and I believe it differs from the generally accepted consensus of players; I include myself in this.

do you want to build giant axle connections with associated power plants to open doors? yeah i dont want to do that with pumps and power plants.
You do, amazingly, make a valid point here. Perhaps doors, bridges, etc. should require power of some sort to operate, in the future. That would create an extra level of depth and realism, which many players (myself included) would enjoy. Thank you for giving me this idea! I may well post it as a suggestion.

When i see a dwarf mechanic i think of a dwarf who knows alot about what hes doing- why must you demand i(no friggin clue) design this complex machine? I tell the mechanic, hey you i want to pump water up 4 Z levels then have it cascade through the garden tower, i already got everything else built i just need pumps! So the dwarf tells me, i need these items and how are you going to power it? Wow that sounds alot easier and more realistic then some half ass crazy thing that clearly wont work(you wont know until its finished) which we have to deal with atm.
Your train of thought seems to have wandered into ranting territory. Please see my next point.

Fuck your pumps, can we please change them? i'm going to fucking wall off and redirect my brook cause thats faster then your stupid ass pumps.
Wonderful. You end off an extremely poorly written post with a barrage of ad-hominem attacks. In conclusion, when examining the above post by arghy, after carefully working my way through a haze of spelling errors, abuse of capitalization, and general crimes against grammar and syntax, I have determined that, beneath it all, the work betrays the author's staggering ignorance of the inner workings and design philosophies of Dwarf Fortress and Toady One. While the author's wildly shimmering train of thought did briefly flirt with coherence, this brief encounter was more than likely a chance occurrence than a result of even rudimentary lucidity.

--Summer Glau

References:
[1]: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Screw_pump
[2]: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Tree
[3]: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Tower-cap
[4]: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Block
[5]: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Enormous_corkscrew
[6]: Common sense
[7]: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WillingSuspensionOfDisbelief

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 01:49:17 am »

Actually, I think pumps pressurize water. So if you have a pump and a hollow walled area above the output, the water would fill the tube up. I think.

No.  Water will not travel higher than its source.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 02:17:27 am »

I've received three moderation reports about this thread.  I'd appreciate it if people not try to argue the who's-a-troll thing out in the thread -- just report if you think there's a problem.

arghy, you mentioned your "rage" associated to pumps 12 or so days ago here, and you still seem upset now.  Despite your assertion that you are trying to drum up popular support on this issue, I don't think you can really claim to be surprised or indignant about the accusations of trolling.  In fact, here you accuse somebody else of trolling with far less cause (just as a method of argumentation, really), and in your second post of this thread you seem to take pride in sophisticated trolling on "multiple levels", unless that was a joke of some kind.

If you just remain civil when you post, I think things will work out a lot better for everybody, especially yourself if you wanted me to read your original post carefully.  As it stands, you've only earned a warning about your behavior.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4