Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Being Clever  (Read 5889 times)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
Re: Being Clever
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2008, 06:48:14 pm »

Whenever the elves appear on my map, they explode. So, when the attempt to ambush or siege me, they explode.

However, having my fortress look like a charred and singed wasteland isn't very cool. And all those smoking elf corpses aren't very fun.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2008, 10:21:31 pm »

I don't know if it qualifies for cleverness, because I haven't really tried it yet...

But I have a theory for increasing the frequency of goblin sieges.  Duplicate the goblin entity entries and call them EVIL1, EVIL2, EVIL3, etc.  On embark you will see "Dwarves, Elves, Humans, Goblins, Goblins, Goblins, Goblins" in the neighbours screen, since the game appears to pick the nearest civ of each entity type to interact with you. 

The hope is that duplicate goblin tribes = more ambushes and sieges.  But I haven't properly tested it yet.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2008, 10:58:27 pm »

I don't know if it qualifies for cleverness, because I haven't really tried it yet...

But I have a theory for increasing the frequency of goblin sieges.  Duplicate the goblin entity entries and call them EVIL1, EVIL2, EVIL3, etc.  On embark you will see "Dwarves, Elves, Humans, Goblins, Goblins, Goblins, Goblins" in the neighbours screen, since the game appears to pick the nearest civ of each entity type to interact with you. 

The hope is that duplicate goblin tribes = more ambushes and sieges.  But I haven't properly tested it yet.

Unfortunately, the problem is that you'll have regular civilizations go down. I've genned a few maps lately where there is an influx of goblins, but no dwarf civies.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2008, 11:27:27 pm »

Unfortunately, the problem is that you'll have regular civilizations go down. I've genned a few maps lately where there is an influx of goblins, but no dwarf civies.

Raising the number of spawned civilisations and (if necessary) the number of available mountain tiles should help with that.  I'd only be doing this for fortress mode - it wouldn't bother me if the game world was ridiculous as long as fortress mode played normally and had more sieges.  So just one human town, one elven town and one dwarven hall need to survive *somewhere* to generate traders.  Post army and caravan arcs this hack probably won't work, but hopefully won't be necessary.

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2008, 03:25:58 am »

I haven't had the chance to test this, but I've modded some humanoid creatures, Tigermen for example, into their own civs. Alone that doesn't sound too clever, but I've also given them the appropriate [PET], [trAINABLE] and [EQUIPS] tags. My thinking is that if I can capture them in cage traps, I can train them to be War Tigermen, and not only will they be assignable to my Dwarves, they will carry and use weapons and armour.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 05:35:14 pm »

No, because ambushers and siegers (AFAIK the only way that other civs get onto your map other then traders, which are friendly and can't hit traps anyway) can't be trained, period.  They still attack you, IIRC.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2008, 05:58:55 pm »

I thought blowdarts would fine.
Where  the verb ?

I've given them ridiculously overpowered weapons and my Gobbos still don't always win the world gen...

ivegotgoodabs

• Bay Watcher
  • Horo
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2008, 09:06:04 pm »

Where  the verb ?
I thought blowdarts would be fine

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2008, 04:42:49 pm »

Where  the verb ?
I thought blowdarts would be fine
I thought blowdarts would _____ fine.
Read posts that you troll better.

Nogert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2008, 06:11:58 pm »

I am ashamed of myself, normally I'm the type to a grammar Nazi.
(hehehehe  ;D)

Note to self: Don't post in forums later than 4am

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2008, 06:39:36 pm »

normally I'm the type to ____ a grammar Nazi.
Irony in its simplest form.
Sorry, just had to.
Anybody had any new ideas while the forums were down?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2008, 06:55:18 pm »

Sorry, just had to.

Eh, just leave the guy alone already.   ;D

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2008, 07:30:13 pm »

Sorry, just had to.

I figured he did that on purpose.

Nogert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2008, 01:25:38 am »

I figured he did that on purpose.

Indeed I did, explained by the:
(hehehehe  ;D)

It appears my form of irony is not explainable by some...

Gondana

• Bay Watcher
  • OMG!!!
    • View Profile
    • OMG!!!
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2008, 02:10:55 am »

I was bored so I created a creature that will spontainiasly compust at any temperature.
Unfortunatly, for obvias reasons, they have trouble surviving.

[CREATUR:BOMB]
   [NAME:Bomb:Bombs:Bomblike]
   [TILE:*][COLOR:2:3:2]
   [LARG_ROAMING]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:50:60]
   [CLUSTER_NUMBER:100:100]
   [ALL_MAIN]
   [SIZE:10]
   [BODY:HUMANOID]
   [MAXAGE:10:20]
   [CHILD:1]
   [ALL_ACTIVE]