Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Most horrifying injury?  (Read 14315 times)

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
Re: Most horrifying injury?
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2010, 02:22:40 am »

Peasant hauler, collapse during the construction of a sniper tower (3x3x3 with fortifacations at middle, ammo at top, access by tunnel.  fell six stories, through a sewer, into a magma pipe, landed on a sizzling hot fresh as ever obsidian ledge.  Mangled a toe.  Her cat landed safely atop her.

Six years of bedrest.

Too many parties, and she got dehydrated one too many times, perhaps the near constant miasma from her growing kittie blanket trying to help bring her food did something, and she went berserk.  Maulled to death by her own cat's kittens in mere seconds.  There was a severed arm somewhere under all those cats.

Grafsburg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mad Catta
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2010, 12:46:10 pm »

One of my hunters walked around for years with a mangled lung. It barely slowed him down at all, unless he passed out (which he did, frequently). The poor guy kept trying to go hunt unicorns, but I made him my bookkeeper instead to beef him up a bit and give him a menial task so he wouldn't get upset.
"The great thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain." ~Bob Marley

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2010, 01:21:26 pm »

Quote from: Biag
I fear there is a mutant in my fortress.

"Other of us is the monster, Urist. Either me... Or you."

Besides my failed quote, I fell to 1/7 magma with an adventurer.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 01:30:05 pm by Ottofar »

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2010, 11:24:43 pm »

While looking through legends mode, I came across this:

In 1060, Stakud's head was smashed by the giant Adil Vigorcontrols the Mouth of Adventure.
In 1060, Stakud's right eye was torn out by the giant Adil Vigorcontrols the Mouth of Adventure.
In 1060, Stakud managed to escape from the giant Adil Vigorcontrols the Mouth of Adventure's onslaught.
In 1070, Stakud confronted the Titan Snuk Pastpoem the Relic of Prophecies.
In 1070, Stakud struck down the Titan Snuk Pastpoem the Relic of Prophecies in Woundsewers the Wayward Nights.

I guess a smashed head isn't fatal.  He died of old age 90 years later.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2010, 02:56:33 am »

A couple forts ago some goblins ambushed me before I'd completed my defensive structures. My marksdwarf (I only had the one because I don't like using crossbows. I find my dwarves have a propensity for standing next to a tree and tying to shoot through it, for some reason) was chasing down some goblins who were fleeing. She fired ONE shot from 20 squares away, because she was down to her last bolt. It hit and the goblin fell over in extreme pain. Because I enjoy watching injuries accumulate, I checked his wounds. His brain was brown, and he was missing an eye- she'd shot him in the back of the head and the bolt had pierced his eye from behind. She caught up with him and beat him to death a few seconds later.

Not the most horrifying injury I've ever seen, but that one sticks with me because of the imagery.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2010, 03:01:10 am »

Peasant hauler, collapse during the construction of a sniper tower (3x3x3 with fortifacations at middle, ammo at top, access by tunnel.  fell six stories, through a sewer, into a magma pipe, landed on a sizzling hot fresh as ever obsidian ledge.  Mangled a toe.  Her cat landed safely atop her.

Six years of bedrest.

Too many parties, and she got dehydrated one too many times, perhaps the near constant miasma from her growing kittie blanket trying to help bring her food did something, and she went berserk.  Maulled to death by her own cat's kittens in mere seconds.  There was a severed arm somewhere under all those cats.

So let me get this straight. She sacrifices her health to rescue one cat, then holes herself up in a room that is eventually filled with cats, catstink, and rotting catfood only to have them turn on her in an instant. Did she go berserk and try to *throw* one of the cats, by any chance?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrazyCatLady
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2010, 07:18:29 am »

I was sold an empty goat before...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2010, 08:49:07 am »

I was sold an empty goat before...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think those are just light injuries, but I can't really tell.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2010, 10:39:20 am »

Not horrifying per se, but I'm still amazed by my champion Waymaligned who received a punctured (red) right lung in a fight 10 years ago. He's still going strong and has killed many gobbos since then, but his attributes don't level anywhere near as quickly as those of his contemporaries.
Probably because he keeps passing out.
Oh, and my favourite miner, Rovod, lost an eye in a fight with a dragon 14 years ago. Hasn't stopped her learning loads and popping out sprogs.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2010, 02:26:01 pm »

my Kobold vs a cougar.

The cougar pounced on his chest, clawed out his left lung and stomach, removed the majority of his face, all before finally biting his throat and allowing him to die.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2010, 08:23:47 pm »

Not exactly an injury, but probably painful:  After a cave-in, one dwarf's inventory showed "Clay loam covering:  Left eye" and "Clay loam covering:  Right eye".  Not just the eyelids, but the eyes.

I imagine that's pretty common, though.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 11:15:37 pm by BodyGripper »
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

kapusta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2010, 10:22:53 pm »

I don't have any of those quadruple amputee with both eyes gouged out horror stories, but this is something that really stood out as an injury that shouldn't be survivable.

So a few goblins ambush my woodcutters/haulers... nothing serious, they get owned by cage traps and lowering drawbridges next to the entrance to the fortress yard. One dwarf gets caught in the yard outside the main gates and is hacked at by the goblins before the nearby caravan guards interfere and save him. He is carried inside and evaluated. Now, apparently the dwarf has a broken rib, one broken limb... and a broken heart. Literally broken, and requiring surgery. Due to the hospital bugs he can't be operated on and ends up lying on the bed unconscious for a couple of years. Suddenly he stands up and slowly drags himself to the food stockpile where he picks up a plump helmet and starts munching on it in the dining room. Oh well, I guess heart injuries are nothing to worry about after all.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2010, 11:02:35 pm »

That part is probably the most horrifying part of the injury.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2010, 11:45:16 pm »

Had a dwarf get both his arms ripped off (one at the shoulder, the other at the elbow) along with a variety of other minor scars after a battle with some blind cave ogres and trolls.  He went on to live a long if slightly less active life (Even going so far as to battle a giant rat by biting it) until I abandoned.

-MB

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2010, 09:53:00 am »

this one time a doctor went down to the cavern to get webs but then 2 blind cave ogres attacked him riping his whole arm off and giving everything else red and yellow until a wrestler saved him and killed the ogres with his bare hands also losing his arm it was quite funny to watch they both lived.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8