Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Most horrifying injury?  (Read 14316 times)

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most horrifying injury?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 07:44:10 pm »

I constantly have blind champions. They do quite well, suprisingly.

Batta

• Bay Watcher
  • Black Wyvern
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 11:20:48 pm »

Most of the injuries my dwarves get are relatively minor, but two of them managed to get hit in the foot/hand by crossbow bolts during a poorly handled siege.

Both of them lost a toe/finger to said bolts, but that's not what's horrifying to me.

What's horrifying to me is that after two years of waiting for them to recover, I checked their wounds. Still nothing. And then I remembered that bolts can stick into a dwarf when they're hit by it. So I checked their inventories... yep, they'd been sitting there with iron bolts stuck in their limbs for two years.

Needless to say I now check my wounded after every single attack or siege.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 11:39:22 pm »

Everything is perfectly fine except he is MISSING a lung.

Urist Mconelung:Damned lung, Where'd I leave that stupid thing?
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 12:34:43 am »

I had a dwarf in a permanent coma after he got caught in the middle of a siege.
He was too tough to kill, but not too tough to pull apart.
No legs left, and only a mangled upper arm remained. Virtually all the other part sof his body were broken or mangled or missing. He'd lost his eyes, and he had a broken spine and head, and severe internal organ injury. Somehow, he lived. He was still unconscious after nearly 11 years when I finally got bored and abandoned.
He was ecstatic to the end.

"Nugget" McUrist has been ecstatic lately...

Bodkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Hoondat Report
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 12:59:52 pm »

My first underground river led to some pretty horrible lessons.  It was full of lizardmen, snakemen, and olmmen, and after one of them climbed out and massacred a peasant, I knew that it was time to mount a campaign against them.

I bricked up the opening to the river, then made a four-step assault plan: (1) Carve out a sizeable room near the water and station two squads in it (but don't expose it to the river yet); (2) prepare a ramp so that overzealous dwarves who dive in the water can climb out; (3) dig out one subterranean tile to expose the ramp to the river; and (4) dig out the aboveground tiles that still separate the squadrons from the river, so that every soldier can get in on the action.  None of them can swim, but if enough of them participate, they can finish the fight in time to escape without drowning.

The problem is, my miner (a card-carrying Teamster) clocked out after Step 3 and went back to his elegantly-appointed quarters for a couple of weeks of deep slumber.  Then a squad leader, appropriately named Rimtar Cryptfasten, happened to glimpse a lizardman through the narrow opening, and dove straight underwater.  His cries of "Follow me to glory!" must have come out as "glub glub glub," because the other soldiers just sort of shrugged and stood around waiting patiently.

Rimtar actually fought very well, for a while, surrounded as he was by slimy critters.  But eventually one of them managed to brown his thumb, and he was paralyzed.  From that point I could only watch in horror as my drowning champion was slowly torn asunder, one tiny dwarf chunk at a time.  It becomes amazing how many chunks a dwarf can lose while still having all his limbs; I lost count.  I tried in vain to persuade my other dwarves to come to his rescue, but none of them could be made to notice the boiling bloody froth lapping at the top of the ramp.

I knew the cause was lost when an olmman chewed out Rimtar's eyes, and I called off the rescue effort.  Interestingly, even though he was underwater for a very long time and eventually his throat was torn out, he finally died by bleeding to death.
I have so far executed three dwarves by means of impalement ... for bringing cats into my fortress.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 07:07:57 pm »

Never try to deconstruct aboveground forts if something happens to the underside. Flooding + new fort + vain attempt to salvage materials = 87 collective floor/roof tiles falling 9 z stories and punching the ground open so that 9 dwarves fall into magma flooded tunnels. They only died in the magma though, checking right beforehand allowed me to see 5 red wounds, a yellow, and two browns on the one with the most greivous injuries.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 12:53:36 pm »

The most severe survivable injuries occur when near the barracks. Being rescued instanty stop all bleeding and allows dwarves to live without throats, they just get winded every few seconds.

My worst was a no throat+2 yellows+5 assorted greys and browns or a 3 red 2 yellow countless grey/brown(he was outside in a post-artic world so he was suffering from frostbite pretty badly)
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 02:39:31 pm »

I currently have a fighter who, after having one lung punctured, has refused to rest.

For two years.

I call her "Wheezy".
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 03:08:58 pm »

Yeah, I've noticed that red lungs don't ever heal, and the dwarves just seem to shrug and go 'eh, I've got another'. I was sad to see one of my squadleaders die recently. He'd been running around with a red lung wound forever, but it only slowed him down a little. He eventually died trying to save one of my peasants from an ambush. He got ganged up on by 4 wrestlers and pinned while two guys with pikes took pot shots at him. He had massive wounds everywhere, but lived long enough for another squad leader to run in and bash his attackers to bits. Neither of their squads ever bothered to show up to the fight. Lazy bums.

This fort also had a woodcutter die recently, because she was just left sit after having her knee mangled. No one seemed to want to rescue her or even bring her food/water. She was even inside the main curtain wall, and not that far from everyone running off to go salvage all the equipment left after the last few ambushes. She eventually went berserk and got taken down by the guards.

This fortress is heartless, apparently.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Khain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 03:13:45 pm »

Not so much horrifying as annoying - My new 2nd year fortress currently has 6 novice wrestlers who I recently decided to switch to swordsdwarves. 5 minutes later and 5 of them are in their beds with yellow or red wounds =.="
Khain is a dubious worshipper of Stozu Oxtrararstruck Baxstutspen

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 04:09:34 pm »

My worst injury was probably the sworddwarf who got his entire left arm torn off, lost his hands and feet and had his remaining limbs broken. Amazingly he survived long enough to somehow drag himself to his room only to die one space from his bed.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2008, 01:57:27 am »

Two things, one really cool, and one worst injury.

My worst injury was this one time where I had an unexpected thing happen with a bloodsucking creature. This creature chopped all of the dwarf's limbs off (the bloodsucking attack was slash damage), but for some reason the dwarf did not bleed to death. He remained just a torso and head for the next year or so until he died of starvation.

Now there was this other really cool thing where I had a superhealing dwarf. He was superdwarvenly tough, and currently legendary in about three different things, none of which were from moods. He was digging when he channeled the area beneath him and fell down six z-levels, making him have a red or yellow wound on almost every body part. He then got up and started dragging himself towards the staircase. Now here is the cool part, he healed as he did so. By the time that he made it back up the staircase to the surface he was fully healed in every body part except for one leg was still yellow. You can just imagine this dwarf with all of his limbs dislocated just crawling and then walking as his limbs pop themselves back into place and all of the damage to his body just heals like that.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2008, 08:43:35 pm »

I'm only on my second fortress, so I don't have some of the awesome stories saved up that you guys do (yet...) but I just got besieged by goblins - sent my army out to meet them... then after routing them got a message "Urist McDwarf, Glassworker has been struck down." Hmm, I don't *remember* assigning a glassworker to be butchered... :P

Turns out there was a second squad attacking from the other direction! Their diversionary tactics succeeded, and the fortress guard (died) held them off until my faster military dwarfs could get back. One of my marksdwarfs survived with his only injuries being in melee against a goblin lasher. He lost both eyes. I promoted him to Captain of the Guard after the fight was over.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2009, 10:41:20 pm »

Dredged this back up for a Hunter that surprised me this afternoon.  My Hunter was Agile, nothing else, and managed to survive getting too close to a Skeletal Giant Eagle as a one eyed quadriplegic.

Long story short, the Skeletal Giant Eagle had its way with the Hunter.  He lost his left eye, both legs from the hips down, his left arm from the shoulder down, and his right arm from the elbow down.  The rest of his body was a mixture of yellow and red, and he suffered yellow injuries to his upper spine.

Suffice to say, he has been assigned to the Department of Dwarven Veterans Affairs.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2009, 12:57:55 am »

I had a dwarf in a permanent coma after he got caught in the middle of a siege.
He was too tough to kill, but not too tough to pull apart.
No legs left, and only a mangled upper arm remained. Virtually all the other part sof his body were broken or mangled or missing. He'd lost his eyes, and he had a broken spine and head, and severe internal organ injury. Somehow, he lived. He was still unconscious after nearly 11 years when I finally got bored and abandoned.
He was ecstatic to the end.

"Nugget" McUrist has been ecstatic lately...

Really?  You passed up an opportunity to say "Urist McNugget"?
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8