Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I mod fire imps so they breed?  (Read 1311 times)

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I mod fire imps so they breed?
« on: October 01, 2008, 03:39:22 pm »

I haven't tried modding before so I did something simple and made fireimps tameable, and now I have two of the critters captured and tamed. However, they're genderless and don't seem to breed. How would I need to change the raws so that they do, and will the ones in my save start breeding or will I need to start a new game?

socially_inept_butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
Re: How do I mod fire imps so they breed?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 05:24:08 pm »

remove [NO_GENDER]
and add [liTTERSIZE:n:u] where n is smaller then u, both are numbers of course. (I recommend maybe 2:3 or 1:2...depending on how fast you want them to breed)
They should breed after that.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:26:01 pm by socially_inept_butterfly »
Urist Axebeard, Mayor, has banned the export of brains.

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 01:35:06 am »

The ones he has would likely still be genderless, though.  You can use DF companion to change their genders to male and female, if that doesn't feel too cheaty to you.
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 05:22:19 am »

[liTTERSIZE:~:~] isn't necessary, but [CHILD:~] is.  LITTERSIZE determines the number of kids the creature will have per birth, with the number representing minimum and maximum values.  CHILD determines how long (in years) a creature needs to spend as a child before it becomes an adult.  It's the only age-related tag that is necessary for breeding. 

There is another tag, [BABY:~], which determines how long a creature has to spend as a helpless little baby before it can turn into a child.  It's recommended you only put this on creatures with a [GRASP] bodypart, otherwise you'll get some mothers going nuts because they can't pick their kid up (I think.  I've never actually tested it).

daemoria

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERTEX_SMITH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 09:10:07 am »

Adding a [Baby:] tag is probably not the best for the fire imps. On birth, won't the young'ns just drop to the center of the earth (magma pipe/volcano) or do they innately know to swim for survival?
3 <≡Vertex≡>
This is a exceptionally prepared stack of 3 vertex. It forms the shape of a triangle.

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 11:11:47 am »

This is all good info thanks guys.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 07:43:17 pm »

Adding a [Baby:] tag is probably not the best for the fire imps. On birth, won't the young'ns just drop to the center of the earth (magma pipe/volcano) or do they innately know to swim for survival?

Don't Fire Imps have [SWIM_INNATE]?

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 08:58:43 pm »

Fire Imps have [SWIM_INNATE] indeed.

First time poster, btw. Thought I'd make my entrance actually being helpful.

daemoria

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERTEX_SMITH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 01:28:51 am »

I think the majority of first time posters have the predisposition to actually be helpful or useful in their first post. (I made a sound range/combat report filter request for mine)

I personally don't see what's wrong with new people joining B12 if they contribute new ideas. Oh and welcome.  ;D
3 <≡Vertex≡>
This is a exceptionally prepared stack of 3 vertex. It forms the shape of a triangle.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 09:31:20 am »

But why in the name of Arnok's crusty underpants do you want the damn things breeding? This is going to apply to the wild ones too, you know.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 09:47:48 am »

Fire is a reason in and of itself.