Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Click the option you feel would best describe your beliefs.

Anti-Theist
- 1 (1.2%)
Atheist
- 30 (35.3%)
Agnostic
- 15 (17.6%)
Unsure
- 3 (3.5%)
Heretic
- 7 (8.2%)
Blasphemer
- 2 (2.4%)
Pastafarian
- 3 (3.5%)
IPU Follower
- 0 (0%)
Frisbeetarian
- 3 (3.5%)
Teapot Watcher
- 7 (8.2%)
Other
- 14 (16.5%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Disbelief by the Numbers  (Read 13832 times)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Disbelief by the Numbers
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2008, 08:16:05 am »

I'd fit under the Old Norse religion.

Odin's coming back.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2008, 08:24:59 am »

Åsatru?  Those guys are kinda nutty, and not in the good Viking way...

Or, wait...  Åsatru is the new old Norse religion.  Do you mean the old old Norse religion?  That would require time travel.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2008, 08:55:33 am »

When it comes to pagan gods, I think my two favorite pantheons are Greek and Norse.  Zeus is a magnificent bastard.  Odin is a badass.  And that's just the beginning!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2008, 09:04:06 am »

I would be inclined to agree with you.  Celtic myth is just confusing, the Africans were obsessed with penises, Native American gods were really quite dull, and the Japanese seem to think it's possible for a woman to die by accidentally banging her genitals into a loom.

The Greeks and Norse had awesome gods and stories.

Melloth

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf. The other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2008, 10:27:03 am »

Tea pots man....
They do boil if you watch them.. Just watch them!
The truth out there!
Is that the rush of water I'm hearing?

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2008, 11:09:04 am »

The Greek pantheon is the coolest one ever. Gods raping humans, jealous women cursing their men? Win.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2008, 01:45:01 pm »

I personally think religion's just the side-effect of people not knowing shit back when we were still considering spears to be state of the art in weapons tech and not getting wiser once they started figuring out exactly what makes things fall, what causes sunrise etc.

Then the whole shebang snowballed into a horrible clusterfuck which on many occasions prevents people from being reasonable and trying to solve their problems rationally. On one hand I have an intense dislike of people having to cling to religion to keep themselves sane, but on the other I derive some sick schadenfreude from watching the faithful yell at each other.

The unfortunate thing is that people find 'absolute truth' (hah) to be more appealing than 'I don't know, but let's see if we can't find out, yes?'

I agree with you completely on the nature of religion, but it is true that being explicitly told that you're right and everyone else is going to Hell is surprisingly comforting. I really see nothing wrong with other people's beliefs and whatnot as long as they keep them to themselves and don't try to evangelize. That said, I do find it rather disconcerting that the majority of people believe I'm going to Hell...

Oh, and as far as the poll goes, I answered "Pastafarian."

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2008, 03:26:12 pm »

I think there should be all religions in the poll, not just atheist and other variations of it. Christian, Judaism, Buddhism, etc.
I understand that in the first post this is supposed to be for 'the less religious' but why not alter it a bit? Widen the discussion's limits.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2008, 03:28:57 pm »

I still think that there should be(even just as a joke) a religion devoted to Toady One in those options...
Eh?
Eh!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2008, 03:36:45 pm »

I think there should be all religions in the poll, not just atheist and other variations of it. Christian, Judaism, Buddhism, etc.
I understand that in the first post this is supposed to be for 'the less religious' but why not alter it a bit? Widen the discussion's limits.

The poll would take up the entire page.  And besides, I made this to be an atheist thread.  Since the atheists were hogging the Muslim thread, I figured it would be better if they had their own area to play in.  Plus I just wanted to see how people would describe their atheism (Pastafarian, Heretic, Atheist, so on).

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2008, 04:08:36 pm »

The poll would take up the entire page.  And besides, I made this to be an atheist thread.  Since the atheists were hogging the Muslim thread, I figured it would be better if they had their own area to play in.  Plus I just wanted to see how people would describe their atheism (Pastafarian, Heretic, Atheist, so on).

Okay, just suggesting. And it wouldn't take up the whole page if there weren't Pastafarian and such...but anyway. Maybe someone should make a third religious thread.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2008, 04:13:24 pm »

Okay, just suggesting. And it wouldn't take up the whole page if there weren't Pastafarian and such...but anyway. Maybe someone should make a third religious thread.

I dunno, I find exposing all these religious beliefs(And lacks of them, for you  Atheists that absolutely NEED to be described as otherwise) might lead to an atmosphere of un-chill. And that's the total opposite of chill.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2008, 04:45:23 pm »

Catholic
Protestant
Presbyterian
Lutheran
Baptist
Methodist
Jesuit
Jehovah's Witness
Greek Orthodox
Orthodox Jew
Reconstructionist
Karaite
Humanistic
Alternative Jew
Sunni (all divisions)
Shi'a (all divisions)
Kharijite (all divisions)
Sufi (all divisions)
Mu'tazili
Ash'ari
Maturidi
Athari
Murjite
Vaishnava
Śaivite
Shakta
Smartha
Bhakti
Jain
Hinayana
Mahayana
Vajrayana
Neo-Druid
Dievturi
Ásatrú (I have no idea what a worshiper is called)
Theodist
Hellenism (again, no idea what a worshiper is called)
Jewitch
Kemetism (ditto)
Wiccan
Spiritual Satanist
Golden Dawn member
Scientologist
Taoist

That's a bit long.   And it's skipping over the Sunni/Shi'a/Kharijite/Sufi divisions, and the slightly more obscure Christian denominations, and a couple Jewish divisions, and I haven't even touched on the traditional Asiatic religions (aside from Taoism, which I just remembered and tacked on at the end.  And Bhuddism, if you think it falls into that category).

Yes, it could probably be compacted significantly.  But a Protestant would hate getting thrown into the same group as a Catholic, and let's not even mention the relations between the various Muslim divisions.  And I daresay a Wiccan will be quite different from a member of the Hellenic Polytheistic Reconstruction. 

And it leaves out agnostics, atheists, and the unsure, but that's only because I just now remembered them.  And Zoroastrianism, which has a few subdivisions of its own.  And Sikhism.

So you have to choose how far you want to generalize religion.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2008, 05:01:56 pm »

After reading this thread I'm strangely tempted to go Militant Agnostic... Meh. I'll stick with Agnostic with strong leanings towards atheism for religion.

I'm also doing a little research into the philosophy of Athiest Existentialism, it's a fascinating belief. In short it can be described as "When something (an act, an object, or a description) exists, we will attach meaning to it. When we attach meaning to something we can further use that meaning to define the rest of our existence.

In Athiest Existentialism in particular, "...the way to face the absurdity of the world is to create a meaning for yourself. This creation of meaning ex nihilo[out of nothing] doesn't degrade your meaning as such, as all meaning would be created meaning."
" In other words, creating a meaning to your own life is completely legit, as long as you don't give it "objective" existence, or let it be the main "pillar" of your life." Wikipedia, sec 2-1
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2008, 08:36:08 pm »

Universalist. I believe that regardless of religion, you are judged on the content of your character. Also, I  believe there's a Higher Power that we can't comprehend, and it has never really talked to us. (In the Jesus or Bhudda sense)
I don't think you know what Buddhism is ;)

Whenever he encountered a question about god or gods, Buddha stated that god/gods were 'irrelevant" in the truly important thing, nibbana/nirvana and true happiness.

Most Buddhists do acknowledge the existance of various gods, spirits, etc (it did spawn from hinduism) but realize gods don't have control over your happiness if you don't let them. That's all based on the strength of your own mind/spirit.

Shoot, I must have mixed it up with something else... Muslim? I don't know much about religion  ::)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6