Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Click the option you feel would best describe your beliefs.

Anti-Theist
- 1 (1.2%)
Atheist
- 30 (35.3%)
Agnostic
- 15 (17.6%)
Unsure
- 3 (3.5%)
Heretic
- 7 (8.2%)
Blasphemer
- 2 (2.4%)
Pastafarian
- 3 (3.5%)
IPU Follower
- 0 (0%)
Frisbeetarian
- 3 (3.5%)
Teapot Watcher
- 7 (8.2%)
Other
- 14 (16.5%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Disbelief by the Numbers  (Read 13845 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disbelief by the Numbers
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 03:26:10 pm »

Awww...

You left out Militant Agnostic aka "I don't know and neither do you!"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 03:47:40 pm »

Careful with slinging the term Anti-Theist around...  That's strong stuff.  You can get into trouble with both sides of the cross if you don't use it wisely.

And Asheron, the flying noodle monster falls under "Blasphemy".  It's on the list.

Since I'm here, I'd like to ask Hawkfrost something.  I've heard a couple names related to Satanism before, but I don't know if it's your kind of Satanism.  What are your views on Aleister Crowley and his writings?

If that question seems a bit offensive, I did not intend it as such.  You've just been very obscure when talking about your beliefs, so I don't really know what the tenets of your faith are.

And remember, I am an atheist.  To me, all other beliefs are equally unbelievable.  So I really wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Real Satanism and Garden Variety Satanism.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 04:17:36 pm »

What's "Unsure?" Isn't that the same as agnostic?

I guess agnostic is being sure about being unsure, but still.

Anyways I'm agnostic. Except that I figure there's probably something in existence which our senses can't perceive at all which is maybe similar to what we might call God or spirits....but since our senses can't perceive it/them at all, there's no reason to act like we know.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 04:28:35 pm »

I'll believe it when I see it!
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 04:38:33 pm »

Since I'm here, I'd like to ask Hawkfrost something.  I've heard a couple names related to Satanism before, but I don't know if it's your kind of Satanism.  What are your views on Aleister Crowley and his writings?

If that question seems a bit offensive, I did not intend it as such.  You've just been very obscure when talking about your beliefs, so I don't really know what the tenets of your faith are.

And remember, I am an atheist.  To me, all other beliefs are equally unbelievable.  So I really wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Real Satanism and Garden Variety Satanism.

I wouldn't know, I have never read them.
I follow the teachings of the Qu'ret Al-Yezid and Highest Priestess Maxine Dietrich.
And unless the refer to themselves as "Spiritual" or "True" satanists, I assume they are goths, which are posers who know nothing about the Father.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 04:56:25 pm »

My only belief is that I know nothing... :)

I don't know a lot about Crowley, but I don't think he was a satanist. He was a freemason and part of the Hermetic order of the golden dawn, or something like that. Founded his own religion too, I think.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 05:00:46 pm by Wiles »

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 05:00:23 pm »

Incidentally, I would classify modern North American societal values as largely Greek pagan with a pseudo-Christian wrapping.

Oh Jesus

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 05:14:35 pm »

I've only skimmed over a couple things that talk about Crowley.  I assumed he was related to satanism from what I saw.  Goes to show you how much I know about that particular subject...

And Jude, Greek Pagan was entirely more interesting.  We don't line our streets with penises for good luck.

Nor is rape considered a fitting legal punishment for burglary.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 05:16:27 pm »

It should be.
If I was president, criminals would be beat to death by everyone they have ever wronged.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 05:40:49 pm »

You know, there's this theory that "an eye for an eye" was not advocating extreme punishment, but rather a way to make sure it wasn't too extreme?
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 06:01:51 pm »

Atheist all the way. I did invent a religion called Moncrieffism once... That was funny.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 06:29:33 pm »

If I was president, criminals would be beat to death by everyone they have ever wronged.

Whoa there, chief!  Be careful where you sling around vague terms like "criminal!"  A criminal is by definition someone who's committed a crime, and there are a great host of crimes to commit, most of them trivial.  Hell, there are laws against jaywalking in some places.  The death penalty (with a very painful manner of execution at that) is a little excessive for that, isn't it?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 06:31:26 pm »

Whoa there, chief!  Be careful where you sling around vague terms like "criminal!"  A criminal is by definition someone who's committed a crime, and there are a great host of crimes to commit, most of them trivial.  Hell, there are laws against jaywalking in some places.  The death penalty (with a very painful manner of execution at that) is a little excessive for that, isn't it?

Person: Watch it Dave, there are laws against jaywalking here.
 Dave: Woah, thanks. That could have turned ugly. Anyway, lets go crash at your place. *Drops a candy wrapper*
 Police: He littered! BEAT HIM WITH THE EARTH!
 Dave: Waugh!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 06:57:14 pm »

Universalist. I believe that regardless of religion, you are judged on the content of your character. Also, I  believe there's a Higher Power that we can't comprehend, and it has never really talked to us. (In the Jesus or Bhudda sense)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 07:39:04 pm »

I've only skimmed over a couple things that talk about Crowley.  I assumed he was related to satanism from what I saw.  Goes to show you how much I know about that particular subject...

And Jude, Greek Pagan was entirely more interesting.  We don't line our streets with penises for good luck.

I was more referring to what our culture values. Obviously nobody worships Dionysius and Aphrodite, but the ideals they personified are still the most highly esteemed in various parts of society.

Add a little religious rhetoric, and your average frat party is a Dionysian ritual. And despite women's liberation, you can't kid yourself about what the most valued aspect of a woman is in the eyes of lots of men.

Oh Jesus
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6