Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Click the option you feel would best describe your beliefs.

Anti-Theist
- 1 (1.2%)
Atheist
- 30 (35.3%)
Agnostic
- 15 (17.6%)
Unsure
- 3 (3.5%)
Heretic
- 7 (8.2%)
Blasphemer
- 2 (2.4%)
Pastafarian
- 3 (3.5%)
IPU Follower
- 0 (0%)
Frisbeetarian
- 3 (3.5%)
Teapot Watcher
- 7 (8.2%)
Other
- 14 (16.5%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Disbelief by the Numbers  (Read 13828 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Disbelief by the Numbers
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 07:56:40 pm »

Universalist. I believe that regardless of religion, you are judged on the content of your character. Also, I  believe there's a Higher Power that we can't comprehend, and it has never really talked to us. (In the Jesus or Bhudda sense)
I don't think you know what Buddhism is ;)

Whenever he encountered a question about god or gods, Buddha stated that god/gods were 'irrelevant" in the truly important thing, nibbana/nirvana and true happiness.

Most Buddhists do acknowledge the existance of various gods, spirits, etc (it did spawn from hinduism) but realize gods don't have control over your happiness if you don't let them. That's all based on the strength of your own mind/spirit.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 08:07:15 pm »

I put Anti-Theist because it sounds so cool. It sounds like a super villain name.

HA HA, CAMEL MAN[/b]

YOU'LL NEVER STOP ME, THE ANTI-THEIST, FROM DESTROYING THE MOSQUE OF DJENNE, EVEN WITH YOUR CAMEL POWERS

HA HA

Fixed
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 08:10:06 pm by IndonesiaWarMinister »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 08:40:29 pm »

If I was president, criminals would be beat to death by everyone they have ever wronged.

Whoa there, chief!  Be careful where you sling around vague terms like "criminal!"  A criminal is by definition someone who's committed a crime, and there are a great host of crimes to commit, most of them trivial.  Hell, there are laws against jaywalking in some places.  The death penalty (with a very painful manner of execution at that) is a little excessive for that, isn't it?

Person: Watch it Dave, there are laws against jaywalking here.
 Dave: Woah, thanks. That could have turned ugly. Anyway, lets go crash at your place. *Drops a candy wrapper*
 Police: He littered! BEAT HIM WITH THE EARTH!
 Dave: Waugh!

Even though that would be completely awesome, I meant criminals on death row.
(Technically, I am a criminal anyway.)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2008, 08:45:38 pm »

In time I may convert to Toadyism, but that would only happen after v1.
Until then you don't need to know(although you might want to).
Eh?
Eh!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2008, 09:37:41 pm »

If I was president, criminals would be beat to death by everyone they have ever wronged.

Whoa there, chief!  Be careful where you sling around vague terms like "criminal!"  A criminal is by definition someone who's committed a crime, and there are a great host of crimes to commit, most of them trivial.  Hell, there are laws against jaywalking in some places.  The death penalty (with a very painful manner of execution at that) is a little excessive for that, isn't it?

Person: Watch it Dave, there are laws against jaywalking here.
 Dave: Woah, thanks. That could have turned ugly. Anyway, lets go crash at your place. *Drops a candy wrapper*
 Police: He littered! BEAT HIM WITH THE EARTH!
 Dave: Waugh!

(Technically, I am a criminal anyway.)

Yeah, killing everybody on death row is a great idea. It's not like innocent people ever get put to death, or anything like that.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2008, 09:41:40 pm »

In my opinion, gods can only exist if they're trying as hard as they can to hide themselves. So I'm mostly an Atheist, with some Agnosticism thrown in.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2008, 10:06:06 pm »

In my opinion, gods can only exist if they're trying as hard as they can to hide themselves. So I'm mostly an Atheist, with some Agnosticism thrown in.

Or, they could just be dicks.

Really it could be anything. That's why I'm agnostic - largely because as I've said before, there's so much about the universe that not only do we not know yet, but are incapable of knowing at all anytime in the foreseeable future, just due to the limitations of our biology, that it's ridiculous to make the definitive pronouncement that nothing resembling a universal power exists.

That said, if God exists, I'm pretty resentful at him. Especially if he's the kind that expects you to believe on faith and then makes me the kind of person that doesn't believe stuff unless I see it.

Oh Jesus

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2008, 11:32:09 pm »

I've only skimmed over a couple things that talk about Crowley.  I assumed he was related to satanism from what I saw.  Goes to show you how much I know about that particular subject...

And Jude, Greek Pagan was entirely more interesting.  We don't line our streets with penises for good luck.

Nor is rape considered a fitting legal punishment for burglary.

I was more referring to what our culture values. Obviously nobody worships Dionysius and Aphrodite, but the ideals they personified are still the most highly esteemed in various parts of society.

Add a little religious rhetoric, and your average frat party is a Dionysian ritual. And despite women's liberation, you can't kid yourself about what the most valued aspect of a woman is in the eyes of lots of men.

Er, some people do worship Dionysos and Aphrodite (among others), and frat parties have very little to do with religious ecstasy (although the oft-used hallucinogenic/entheogenic element -- if you ever wondered why mushrooms were associated with Dionysos, this is the reason -- may be present at some parties, in "frat" parties it is largely replaced by beer bongs.) Aristophanes, while a viable source, is one to be taken with a grain of salt since his only surviving plays were parodies of popular culture at the time.

Modern worship of Aphrodite (and there is also some evidence for this in ancient Greece, though a bit scanty) often involves women taking control of their sexuality -- possibly aiding a psychological recovery from rape or other trauma, maybe just improving self-esteem so they are less easy to take advantage of.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2008, 12:00:26 am »

Quote from: inaluct link=topic=25590.msg295869#msg295869 date=1222804300[i

GIANT

CAVE

CAMEL
[/i]

SPIDER

Fixed

OH SHI--
Lets see where this goes.

;D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 01:02:04 am by Foa »

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2008, 05:06:46 am »

We also have this little clause in our constitution against cruel and unusual punishment.  Fun fact.

EDIT:  Was accidentally quoting Jude quoting Hawkfrost.  Partially fixed.

Especially if he's the kind that expects you to believe on faith and then makes me the kind of person that doesn't believe stuff unless I see it.

A god like that doesn't exist.  That notion is merely human vanity at work.  Believing in it doesn't make it any more real.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:11:01 am by Earthquake Damage »

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2008, 06:46:16 am »

I've only skimmed over a couple things that talk about Crowley.  I assumed he was related to satanism from what I saw.  Goes to show you how much I know about that particular subject...

And Jude, Greek Pagan was entirely more interesting.  We don't line our streets with penises for good luck.

Nor is rape considered a fitting legal punishment for burglary.

I was more referring to what our culture values. Obviously nobody worships Dionysius and Aphrodite, but the ideals they personified are still the most highly esteemed in various parts of society.

Add a little religious rhetoric, and your average frat party is a Dionysian ritual. And despite women's liberation, you can't kid yourself about what the most valued aspect of a woman is in the eyes of lots of men.

Er, some people do worship Dionysos and Aphrodite (among others), and frat parties have very little to do with religious ecstasy (although the oft-used hallucinogenic/entheogenic element -- if you ever wondered why mushrooms were associated with Dionysos, this is the reason -- may be present at some parties, in "frat" parties it is largely replaced by beer bongs.) Aristophanes, while a viable source, is one to be taken with a grain of salt since his only surviving plays were parodies of popular culture at the time.

Modern worship of Aphrodite (and there is also some evidence for this in ancient Greece, though a bit scanty) often involves women taking control of their sexuality -- possibly aiding a psychological recovery from rape or other trauma, maybe just improving self-esteem so they are less easy to take advantage of.

OK, I'm not talking about wackos who literally worship ancient Greek gods, I was referring to how the ideals those gods embodied are in a lot of ways the values various parts of American society hold in high esteem.

Oh Jesus

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2008, 06:50:53 am »

Ahh, I understand.  So what you're really trying to say is that Americans like drinking and having sex.

Just like everybody else.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2008, 06:52:51 am »

Ahh, I understand.  So what you're really trying to say is that Americans like drinking and having sex.

Just like everybody else.

The Greeks were actually honest about is what I'm saying. And we are too, underneath the pretenses of being "generally Christian."

Oh Jesus

Prometheus

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2008, 08:11:42 am »

I personally think religion's just the side-effect of people not knowing shit back when we were still considering spears to be state of the art in weapons tech and not getting wiser once they started figuring out exactly what makes things fall, what causes sunrise etc.

Then the whole shebang snowballed into a horrible clusterfuck which on many occasions prevents people from being reasonable and trying to solve their problems rationally. On one hand I have an intense dislike of people having to cling to religion to keep themselves sane, but on the other I derive some sick schadenfreude from watching the faithful yell at each other.

The unfortunate thing is that people find 'absolute truth' (hah) to be more appealing than 'I don't know, but let's see if we can't find out, yes?'
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6