Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Dwarf Manager (Dwarf Foreman Reloaded) Updated 2009-04-02  (Read 65561 times)

Sourlout

• Bay Watcher
  • L-l-l-ook at you hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Manager (Dwarf Foreman Reloaded)
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2008, 04:41:36 pm »

Really, really like what you have done.  Thank you.

A small feature request, one that I would find useful, is for each labor task to have a count of how many dwarfs are currently assigned to it.

For more complex skill sets (i.e. default craftsdwarves), you might try to append their title with letters denoting which skills are legendary.  So long as you put the letters in the same order every time, you can neatly sort your legendary bonecrafters (Craftsdwarf B) from your combination leg. bonecrafter/glassmakers (Craftsdwarf BG).

This so reminds me of XCOM:UFO, where it was really hard to tell what soldier was good at what so you just had to rename each soldier with letters referencing if he was strong, agile, etc.  It worked for xcom, more then likely it will work for dwarf fortress.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2008, 07:27:08 pm »

Hopefully this is updated to handle 40d2 soon =)
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

StirFry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2008, 08:39:32 pm »

I am using v0.28.181.40d of the game.  I ran the net 3.5 program.  I use Windows XP.  I tried to open it in game and outside of game. I always get "DwarfManager has encountered a problem and needs to close...."

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2008, 07:33:44 pm »

Anyway someone can make this so you don't need .NET to use it?

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2008, 08:21:49 pm »

Anyway someone can make this so you don't need .NET to use it?

Probably not.

.NET is like java, you cant just compile it to run natively. It has to go through a just in time compiler.

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2008, 12:07:36 am »

*sigh*
There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2008, 12:24:50 am »

*sigh*

Actually, I just looked.

It's not even open source, so I cant even attempt to create a stand alone binary.

StirFry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2008, 05:00:15 am »

If I can't get this to work is there a version of Dwarf Foreman that works with the latest version of DF?

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2008, 11:48:23 am »

this would be even better if there was a All button that opens/closes all the others a lets you change everyone's jobs...  ::) maybe you could add it.
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2009, 09:27:15 pm »

Is there a way (as with Dwarf Foreman) to edit which memory locations it seeks, so that we can try it out with 40d2 ... 40d8?
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2009, 12:23:06 pm »

Is there a way (as with Dwarf Foreman) to edit which memory locations it seeks, so that we can try it out with 40d2 ... 40d8?
I just looked at the program and there is a MemoryLayouts.xml file that has them in it.

They may actually even work with the current versions of DF just the checksum might be wrong.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2009, 12:58:13 pm »

I just looked at the program and there is a MemoryLayouts.xml file that has them in it.
They may actually even work with the current versions of DF just the checksum might be wrong.

Any idea how to derive the checksum from a given version?  The Dwarf Foreman page, for example, says that you can just run Dwarf Foreman in the same directory as your current game and it "just works" but that doesn't seem to work for me now that I've moved to the 40d variants.  Does Dwarf Manager use the same process?
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

codewright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2009, 04:00:03 pm »

Generally you can edit most memory-related things in the MemoryLayouts.xml. As long as the internal structure stays about the same, version upgrades can be handled by this. The bigger problem is to find what changed. The 40dx versions seem to have a number of changes that go beyond the simple changes to global pointer addresses. For starters, the exe filename has changed. Then, of course, the global pointers have changed (creature vector, language vector,...). Additionally, there seem to be structural changes within at least the creature structure. I am still trying to figure them out but i'm not too keen on investing much time into non-official releases.

What I can tell you is that it is not possible to use DM with the new DF versions without an intensive update of the memory layout (and renaming the exe file, which will no longer be required in the next version).

codewright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Manager (Dwarf Foreman Reloaded) Updated 2009-01-10
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2009, 09:15:06 am »

After some memory sniffing and tweaking I am proud to present: Dwarf Manager 0.3

Not much new, but it's compatible with 40d8 and 40d9. The changes of the memory structure have shown that it can be quite complicated to find the new locations. I assume the next official release will be about as complicated. To ease up this task for me and maybe others, I'll try and set up some more info about it on the website (don't expect it too soon).

Version 0.3 [2009-01-10]
  * Added alternative process name "Dwarf Fortress" instead of dwarfort.
  * Added MemoryLayout for 40d8 and 40d9.
  * Added Base attribute to memory layouts which allows to inherit properties of another.
  * Added possibility to close the creature edit form with enter (ok) or esc (cancel).
  * Fixed minor bug which prevented the fishing skill level to display correctly.

Hangfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Manager (Dwarf Foreman Reloaded) Updated 2009-01-10
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2009, 09:23:11 pm »

This looks like a great tool.  I have been waiting for a upgrade to Dwarf Foreman for ages now, and it looks like it is finally here.

Trouble is, I am having problems getting it to run in 40d9.  I just downloaded the new DF version and dumped it into a new folder, started a brand new world and played for a bit.  Then I downloaded your 0.3 Manager and installed .Net from the link on your site.  After rebooting for the install of .Net, I ran Dwarf Fortress again, started my game, and then started up Dwarf Manager.  The program starts fine, but as soon as I click 'Load from DF' I get a error message:

"An Unhandled exception error has occurred in your application."

And later in the same error...

"Object Reference not set to an instance of an object."

The details of the error are here: 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So then tried Dwarf Manager on a plain jane version of Dwarf Fortress 40d.  I just created a quick pocket world, started the game, then started Dwarf Manager.  On the older version Dwarf Manager ran fine, and allowed me to load my dwarves into the manager just fine.

If there is any other information that you need or anything I need to try, just let me know.  I am really looking forward to getting to use this tool.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13