Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Dwarf Manager (Dwarf Foreman Reloaded) Updated 2009-04-02  (Read 65537 times)

codewright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Manager (Dwarf Foreman Reloaded) Updated 2009-04-02
« on: September 30, 2008, 11:01:26 am »

DwarfManager v0.7 [2009-04-02]

Dwarf Manager helps you manage your dwarf workforce. It lets you manage the labor assignments and custom profession names of your dwarfs. It is inspired by Dwarf Foreman, but adds more features to it.

Requirements: Microsoft .NET 3.5 Framework and Dwarf Fortress
Download: DwarfManager-0.7

More info, including changelog and some basic documentation can be found on the Dwarf Manager website.

It is out-of-the-box compatible with DF 0.28.181.40c, ~40d, ~40d8, ~40d9 and ~40d11.

So what does DM have what Foreman hasn't?
  • It enables you to set the active labours of single dwarfs, instead of only whole professions.
  • It shows the skill of dwarfs for a specific labour.
  • It enables you to change the nick and custom profession name of dwarfs easily.
  • It has a much better scrolling behaviour and better default ordering.
  • It is fully customizable. Colors, orders, names and many other things can easily be changed.
  • It has an acronym that isn't the same as the game it is for ;)

Although it's running rather stable for me, I guess it may have a number of bugs here and there. Feel free to post them and any other comments you have ;)

Oh, and let me thank the wiki memory hackers, the DC dev and especially Ben Wilhelm for making Dwarf Foreman open source. That really helped a lot to get me kick started and when DM is getting stable I will release the code as well.

Edit: Version 0.7 released (now you can automatically set labors when switching profession!).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 10:53:36 am by codewright »

caas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Manager (Dwarf Foreman Reloaded)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 12:06:08 pm »

I love you! in a non-gayish way  ;D

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 12:08:02 pm »

Looks awesome. I'll try it in a bit.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 12:58:20 pm »

Also, the "known colors" link on your webpage wasn't very helpful. Ok, to be blunt, it wasn't helpful at all. To anyone who cares, here's a table of usable colors I found by googling.

http://yyyz.net/CSharpCode/ColorTable.aspx
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 01:16:04 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 02:04:53 pm »

This looks good. Looking forward to more work done by the memory hackers.

codewright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 05:38:45 pm »

Also, the "known colors" link on your webpage wasn't very helpful. Ok, to be blunt, it wasn't helpful at all. To anyone who cares, here's a table of usable colors I found by googling.

http://yyyz.net/CSharpCode/ColorTable.aspx
The reason I linked to this site was, that I do not like linking to random pages and there seems to be no reasonable other official page about it. Well, I hope you are more happy now, I changed it a bit ;)

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 11:11:10 pm »

Wow. Thanks for reading my mind and doing everything I want. I'm guessing the only thing it dosn't do is let you grok your dwarfies non-activateble skills, e.g., judge of intent, axedwarf, etc. Aside from tabulating that, I can't think of anything else it SHOULD do ^_^.

CaveBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 12:07:22 am »

One thing that I always wished foreman would do is allow you to set weapon/ armor settings for your military dwarves.

This would be especially nice if you could assign dwarves to use weapons that they cannot normally use in dwarf mode, ex. "fight with whip" or "fight with pike" (or bows or blowguns)

Building on that functionality, it would be nice to be able to pick specific weapons and armor for your dwarves to use, or allow your dwarves to switch to 'training weapons' (although those would require considerable amount of work to add)
Praise the Miners! You have discovered an Underground Cavern!
You have struck Cave Bacon!

daemoria

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERTEX_SMITH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 09:20:24 am »

In relation to the post above, I found labor IDs for pike, blowgun, etc, in the Labors.xml file.

Setting
Code: [Select]
<LaborDescription Id="61" Name=("whip")/>to
<LaborDescription Id="61" Name="Whip" Skill="Lasher"/>results in no change untill you add
<Column Width="6" BackgroundColor="Cyan" />
<Column Width="20" BackgroundColor="White" LaborId="61" /> <!-- Lasher -->
To the TableLayout xml.
I have no idea if this actually will make my humans use whips in battle, because I've yet to make one in my fortress (no metal industry as of yet).

I'll post my results of getting it working (or not) sometime soon. I'll probably try something I can make, like daggers (master shanke--I mean knife user).
--
Oh, just in case people get errors, it might be because you forgot to put a space in there somewhere. Damn me for getting used to 'loose' formatting html.
--
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 09:21:57 am by daemoria »
3 <≡Vertex≡>
This is a exceptionally prepared stack of 3 vertex. It forms the shape of a triangle.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 10:05:30 am »

This would be especially nice if you could assign dwarves to use weapons that they cannot normally use in dwarf mode, ex. "fight with whip" or "fight with pike" (or bows or blowguns)

This.

In fact, if you could expand this to any skill, that'd be awesome.  Thus we could use rubber chickens ([SKILL:COMEDY]), clockwork carbines (MECHANICS), magic wands (MAGIC_NATURE), and other nutty creations.

codewright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 10:24:04 am »

It's good to see you like the little tool and already go ahead with your suggestions ;).

Wow. Thanks for reading my mind and doing everything I want. I'm guessing the only thing it dosn't do is let you grok your dwarfies non-activateble skills, e.g., judge of intent, axedwarf, etc. Aside from tabulating that, I can't think of anything else it SHOULD do ^_^.
You mean like at least showing the skills of these non-labour tasks? Well, you can see them if you double click a dwarf, but you don't see them in the table, because the table is primarily a labour table and secondly a skill table. Aside from the weapon-specific skills, why are you so interested in the non-labour skills? Don't you usually have just a few quasi-nobles (trader, bookkeeper,... ), which you can recognize using their profession/custom profession?

@daemoria
I think what you are doing works to a certain degree. I tried around with the weapon-specific skills and it works pretty much the same as other labours, except that only one of all of them can be active. So adding them all to the table "works", but I don't know how DF will react on multiple activated weapon skills. To make this work nicely, it'll need a dedicated handling. Additionally, armour and shield levels, plus the weapon number, work totally different (no booleans, but numbers).

Edit: Oh, and just to make this complete: military skill handling will work best if the squad-structure is taken into account. This may be subject to change in DF and I hadn't looked into it yet at all, so I don't know what this requires.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 10:27:44 am by codewright »

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 10:45:57 pm »

I think I may have found a bug.  There has been three different attempts at using Dwarf Manager, and only the first worked.  In that situation, I had 17 or so dwarves, all Legendary levels due to Dtil's embark editor.  It worked fine, it seemed.  However, my other two attempts also used legendary dwarves, at 100 and 49 members respectively.  Both failed outright, creating the following log.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here is what I see happening when I try using Dwarf Manager.  On both attempts, the root problem was the same in that I could, in theory, switch around my dwarves - but only to a single profession.  That means I can have Miner, Crafter, and Farmer professions, but moving anyone from any of them only adds that dwarf to Crafter, and no where else.  This is bad, because this essentially neuters the powers of Dwarf Management.   I have done several different ways of setting up my dwarves before using Dwarf Manager, like manually naming professions and their labor properties, but this doesn't happen.  When I try to alter most things in Dwarf Fortress with the manager, Writing creates the bug report in the spoiler.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 06:27:24 am »

Very nice tool, thanks.

D_Malachi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 07:55:43 am »

I like the tool, thanks for that. The extra features are a big help at times, saves from having to flip back and forth between the game and Foreman to tweak custom class names. Question, though, about a possible future feature, if it sounds useful enough:

Class Presets - In a nutshell, if you give somebody the title of, say, Stone, with the press of a button you could automatically assign all duties associated with stones and rocks, completely up to the user to create their own presets of course. Would this be doable?

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 05:30:42 pm »

keep getting an error when i press "load from DF"

Unhandled exception

The given key was not present in the dictionary.

not sure how to post hidden by a spoiler tag so i don't spal everyone with the error information.

i do have net 3.5 installed. used the link right on your site.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13