Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Dwarf Manager (Dwarf Foreman Reloaded) Updated 2009-04-02  (Read 65572 times)

codewright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Manager (Dwarf Foreman Reloaded) Updated 2009-01-16
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2009, 07:25:03 pm »

Ok, the problem is that the exe is not loaded to 0x0400000 (it's preferred memory location). This may be due to a conflicting dll or whatever else, the result was that the checksum and all other memory reads were way off target. The new version now explicitly takes the position of the exe into account and corrects all other memory locations accordingly. Thing is, the relocation of the exe also results in a modification of the code (to reflect the changed addresses) and thus changes the effective checksum. It looks like I'll need to figure out a more stable way of identifying the DF version.

For now, if you had troubles in Vista, try the new version and see if it works out of the box. If it doesn't, try to modify the MemoryLayouts.xml and replace the checksum for the 40d9_vista layout (third line) with the one you get. The current checksum is for the exe location I get, but I have no idea if it's loaded to that location in general or if it's something that depends on your config (windows, updates, dlls installed,...). Feedback is welcome :)

The 0.5 is not of interest to you if it currently works. Download here. Changelog:

Version 0.5 [2009-01-21]
  * Added address correction for the case that the exe file is not loaded to the default location,
     which should solve the vista problems. - Sadly, only partly, because the relocation also changes
     parts of the code and thus the checksum.
  * Added a 40d9 layout with the checksum I'm getting in vista.
  * Added the MemoryLocator tool which should make updates to new versions easier.
     This is not intended to be end-user friendly, but more of a dev-tool, as it can only handle few changes
     of the overall structure.

Codewright, what development environment is needed to work on Manager?
I don't know whats needed, but I use VS C# 2008 Express.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:03:55 pm by codewright »

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Manager (Dwarf Foreman Reloaded) Updated 2009-01-21
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2009, 09:48:33 pm »

Yay, it works now! I still had to go into the XML file to change it, but once I did so the program worked the way it did with the prior versions.

Thank you very much for the effort you've put into this program, it really is helpful.

lordkrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2009, 09:53:05 pm »

Aye, it worked for me as well, once I changed the checksum.

So, with a little tweaking it seems to have 40d9 working on Vista 32-bit here.

Thanks for all the hard work!  I'll be following updates for this, that's for sure.

Busses

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2009, 10:49:44 pm »

Aye, it's working for me to now. After I changed the checksum. Thanks for getting it working. I went back to playing 40d just to use this program.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Manager (Dwarf Foreman Reloaded) Updated 2009-01-16
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2009, 01:17:53 am »

the relocation of the exe also results in a modification of the code (to reflect the changed addresses) and thus changes the effective checksum. It looks like I'll need to figure out a more stable way of identifying the DF version.

In my utilities, I just use the .TimeDateStamp field out of the PE header.  Unique and easy to find.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Manager (Dwarf Foreman Reloaded)
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2009, 02:32:27 pm »

In fact, if you could expand this to any skill, that'd be awesome.  Thus we could use rubber chickens ([SKILL:COMEDY]), clockwork carbines (MECHANICS), magic wands (MAGIC_NATURE), and other nutty creations.

You can make weapons that use just those skills instead of SWORD or whatever, and you can use them in adventure mode, and then gain the skills from them. This might just be possible. Has anyone tried it? reading back I couldn't find this getting picked up.

Edit: Also - YAY this wonderful little utility works for me now! Vista 64
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 02:35:07 pm by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2009, 05:36:57 pm »

I'm just curious if it is possible to change how the skill indicator appears.  The little square isn't that good.  I know it is possible to change the color, but it is possible to change the style of the indicator?  ex: make it color in a triangle depending on skill.  Start at the top left and color in alittle, then alittle more and at max have it be two triangles one of the indicator color one of the enabled/disabled color.

J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2009, 09:27:28 pm »

Well its been about 24 hours and I have another question to ask.  Is there anything special I have to do to get this to work on windows vista?  It works fine on my xp computer but not on the vista one.  Also my last question still stands.

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2009, 11:13:07 am »

1) If you're comfortable working with the .Net library and have an svn clientyou could modify the table to show numbers instead.  Otherwise you're stuck with the square for now.

2) For Vista, Open Dwarf fortress and load your game.

Open Dwarf Manager 0.5, when the error pops, look at details and copy the hex code (example: 0x001221e) and close dwarf manager.

Edit the memorylayouts.xml file.

Replace the hex code for vista so for this example this:
Code: [Select]
MemoryLayout Name="v0.28.181.40d9_vista" CheckSum="0xfd3559a4" Base="v0.28.181.40d8"

becomes this
Code: [Select]
MemoryLayout Name="v0.28.181.40d9_vista" CheckSum="0x001221e" Base="v0.28.181.40d8"

save the memorylayout.xml file.

Open Dwarf Manager again and when you load from DF it should populate.

Unfortunately you will need to do this each time you run dwarf fortress.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 11:16:41 am by TheMirth »

codewright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2009, 02:19:44 pm »

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like we are getting closer to vista support for the newer DF versions.

In my utilities, I just use the .TimeDateStamp field out of the PE header.  Unique and easy to find.
I've tried that and it looks rather promising. Thank you for the hint. The new version 0.6 incorporates this new way of identifying the used DF version and should thus have no problem with exe relocations. Get it, as usual, from here.

Version 0.6 [2009-01-23]
  * Changed Checksum to use the PE TimeDateStamp field. This way the checksum should be independed
     of the image location in memory.

Feedback is welcome as I haven't tested this on vista yet, but as there is only one value read, there shouldn't be much difference.

In fact, if you could expand this to any skill, that'd be awesome.  Thus we could use rubber chickens ([SKILL:COMEDY]), clockwork carbines (MECHANICS), magic wands (MAGIC_NATURE), and other nutty creations.

You can make weapons that use just those skills instead of SWORD or whatever, and you can use them in adventure mode, and then gain the skills from them. This might just be possible. Has anyone tried it? reading back I couldn't find this getting picked up.
Well, DF handles the usual labors (Miner,...) the same way as weapon labors (Axeman,...), so I don't see anything DM can improve here. Ok, one thing, it can make all weapon labors accessable (Knife User, Pikeman,...). You only need to add them to the TableLayout.xml, they are already in the Labors.xml. As this can be considered cheating and is not supported by DF itself, I opted to not include this by default.

I'm just curious if it is possible to change how the skill indicator appears.  The little square isn't that good.  I know it is possible to change the color, but it is possible to change the style of the indicator?  ex: make it color in a triangle depending on skill.  Start at the top left and color in alittle, then alittle more and at max have it be two triangles one of the indicator color one of the enabled/disabled color.

The resizing square is the only indicator style currently available. As TheMirth pointed out correctly, anyone with the necessary skill is welcome to change that and other things to their liking and possibly send me patches so it can be incorporated into the official version. Other than that, I may make different indicator styles available from time to time, but for now I think the little box is quite intuitive. In my opinion, numbers must be read and clutter around and the resizing triangle you suggest is only mildly different from the box. In the end, the goal of this indicator is not to show the exact measure of the dwarfs skill level, but rather a quick-to-identify heads-up, which helps to identify certain dwarfs (i.e. very, average and low skilled in a particular skill).

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Manager (Dwarf Foreman Reloaded) Updated 2009-01-23
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2009, 03:52:09 pm »

It does work well to give you a quick aggregate idea of where your dwarves are. A lacking ability in the current method though is to see if they hit dabbling. This really only matters when you're setting several of your skilless dwarves to have a dabbling level of a preferred artifact skill type (armoursmithing, weaponsmithing) or knowing whether a soldier\guard is about to hit Great in a military skill to prevent permanent military status.

Just some thoughts on why people may think they want numbers.

/not brave enough to open my own code to scrutiny.

codewright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2009, 06:26:12 pm »

It does work well to give you a quick aggregate idea of where your dwarves are. A lacking ability in the current method though is to see if they hit dabbling. This really only matters when you're setting several of your skilless dwarves to have a dabbling level of a preferred artifact skill type (armoursmithing, weaponsmithing) or knowing whether a soldier\guard is about to hit Great in a military skill to prevent permanent military status.

Just some thoughts on why people may think they want numbers.

/not brave enough to open my own code to scrutiny.
Well ok, as a small, quickly changeable setting this may be quite useful. Although I'm not sure if numbers are the best. You don't see numbers in game, do you? But maybe a hover tooltip can solve that until you get used to it.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2009, 07:04:38 pm »

Now to integrate this with DF.

The only thing that could improve it is an option to alter size of boxes, for those of us with 1024x768 screens.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2009, 12:52:25 am »

agreed, the boxes are too damn huge. i'd apprechiate it if i didn't have to alt tab to scroll in the utility.

it's either that, or set resolution so high that you can't see what you're looking at, both in-game in DF and in the utility.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

nataq

• Bay Watcher
  • Atheist
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2009, 06:48:18 am »

I have latest Dorf Fortress, and Dwarf Manager 0.6
im using windows xp sp3, 32bit version and i have .net 3.5 installed.

to the time DM worked fine, but today i get strange error when i try to click "Load from DF"

screen

error text:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 07:00:29 am by nataq »
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13