Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Dwarf Manager (Dwarf Foreman Reloaded) Updated 2009-04-02  (Read 65548 times)

codewright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Manager (Dwarf Foreman Reloaded) Updated 2009-01-10
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2009, 06:25:37 am »

Now that is strange. I can't seem to steadily replicate this, although I had some troubles too that went poof after trying again and may be related to something else. The error message seems to indicate that DM is not able to find a suitable memory layout (which should, of course, be reported in a more understandable way). Can you simply try it again? Has anyone else experienced errors with 40d9 or is it running smoothly? Make sure you load from DF when you are in fortress mode and not before (but I assume this would give a different error).

Hangfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2009, 09:39:06 pm »

Well, now I am even more confused.  I restarted the computer and got the same results, then rebooted again, started a new world and got the same results again.  I redownloaded both DF 40d9 and DM 0.3, but them in a new directory and got the same results. 

Finally I downloaded DF, DM, and .Net to my wifes PC, started a new world and... Got the same results.

Both of the PCs were Vista machines, so I am not sure if that would make any difference.  Unfortunatly, aside from my MythTV Ubuntu box, Vista is all I have at home.

Finally I found one last odd thing...  Dwarf Forman, with the config file changes that I got from the wiki for 40d9 also doesn't seem to be working, but going back to just plain 40d and the config file for it works just fine.

I doubt this is it, but is there a chance that Toady made a recent slight change to the d9 download since you downloaded your zip of the file that could be throwing memory locations off ?  I didn't download the file until just yesterday.  Other than that I am out of ideas and things to try...  I suppose at the worst I can just go back to using 40d by itself. 

codewright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2009, 05:41:27 am »

It may be related to Vista. I just redownloaded d9 and it works like a charm (on WinXP). I'd be happy about feedback from other people. Does it work with d8/d9? Do you use Vista?

Foreman won't work as there is an structural change to the creature-structure in the dX builds and you cannot config this in Foreman. The code needs to be updated to respect this change.

Hangfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2009, 08:22:45 am »

I am pretty sure I can get ahold of a XP laptop from work.  I will give that a shot tonight and report back my findings.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2009, 03:40:44 pm »

Finally I found one last odd thing...  Dwarf Forman, with the config file changes that I got from the wiki for 40d9 also doesn't seem to be working, but going back to just plain 40d and the config file for it works just fine.

I'm the one who figured out that config file.  What symptoms are you seeing with Foreman?

If you're not able to get it to run at all, it's because Foreman is hardcoded to look for a program named dwarfort.exe and DF 40d* is now named Dwarf Fortress.exe.  What you can do is copy or rename Dwarf Fortress.exe to dwarfort.exe and then run the latter.

If you're seeing weird behavior in that it's ignoring a few dwarves, well, I'm seeing that too.

Hangfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2009, 12:28:27 am »

Well, the exe name was part of my problem with Foreman.  After changing that I got further... and may have got something that may show where my issue with Manager is too.

After changing the name and running foreman, I get the "I am not sure this is the right version of Dwarf Fortress" message, but my check value from that message is fd3559a4, instead of the one listed on the discussion page of the wiki for 40d9 (01318B82).  Not sure if that explains anything... I only have a very basic knowlege of how Foreman works... but if it does, why are my values different than the ones other people have got?

Busses

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2009, 10:10:00 am »

I'm also having problem with Dwarf Manager in 40d9 on Vista. Here's the error report.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2009, 10:34:50 am »

I so want this for linux df :(
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2009, 04:34:29 pm »

After changing the name and running foreman, I get the "I am not sure this is the right version of Dwarf Fortress" message, but my check value from that message is fd3559a4, instead of the one listed on the discussion page of the wiki for 40d9 (01318B82).  Not sure if that explains anything... I only have a very basic knowlege of how Foreman works... but if it does, why are my values different than the ones other people have got?

This implies that something has modified the Dwarf Fortress executable.

Virus.

Scan your computer now.

Other possibilities include anything else that would change an executable, such as an exe packer.

Or things that would change the in-memory image of a program.  Some of my utilities do that, but they don't change the area that Foreman and Manager checksum.  Actually, I can't think of any legitimate reason for changing the area that is checksummed.

Check if the file size of dwarfort.exe is 6,159,360 bytes.  (Open the folder, right click on dwarfort.exe, and choose Properties.)

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2009, 08:24:11 pm »

Tested d9 on Vista x64 and  did not have success

0.3 does work with d5 though.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2009, 08:34:25 pm »

Would you kindly release the source code.

Not that I plan on recompiling it, but several have mentioned they would like it on their platform and perhaps a linux or mac port can be done...

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2009, 08:46:26 pm »

Actually never mind, I can just dissassemble it back into source since it is a C Sharp program.

(Source code link removed because the author wished to release it in a better format.)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 07:14:11 am by profit »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2009, 12:31:36 am »

Tested d9 on Vista x64 and  did not have success
0.3 does work with d5 though.

Dang. Can you tell it to "Run! Run like you're in XP!" and get functionality?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

codewright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2009, 03:09:49 am »

Hey profit, I know you want to help others, but that doesn't give you the right to put up the code of my work. It's fine if you can decompile it and play around with the code, but don't make it publicly available. It's still my decision if, when and how I open source it and not yours. And, frankly, it's not just a matter of zipping the code and uploading it. I want to clean it up a little, add a license and THEN release it in a way I can update later. Yes, this takes a little time, but I don't think anyone will die without the code. So, if you don't mind, could you please remove the file?

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2009, 07:06:04 am »

Hey profit, I know you want to help others, but that doesn't give you the right to put up the code of my work. It's fine if you can decompile it and play around with the code, but don't make it publicly available. It's still my decision if, when and how I open source it and not yours. And, frankly, it's not just a matter of zipping the code and uploading it. I want to clean it up a little, add a license and THEN release it in a way I can update later. Yes, this takes a little time, but I don't think anyone will die without the code. So, if you don't mind, could you please remove the file?

Actually if you READ the license of DWARF FOREMAN the program you used code from, You MUST give everyone access to your source code otherwise you have no right to use it.

So the copy of the source code is perfectly legal AND within the spirit of the GPL which you are bound to by using dwarf foreman as a base.  However... I will still remove it...

GNU General Public License as comes with dwarf managers source:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13