Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Dwarf Manager (Dwarf Foreman Reloaded) Updated 2009-04-02  (Read 65542 times)

codewright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Manager (Dwarf Foreman Reloaded)
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 07:03:09 pm »

I think I may have found a bug.  There has been three different attempts at using Dwarf Manager, and only the first worked.  In that situation, I had 17 or so dwarves, all Legendary levels due to Dtil's embark editor.  It worked fine, it seemed.  However, my other two attempts also used legendary dwarves, at 100 and 49 members respectively.  Both failed outright, creating the following log.

Hm, did you load another game in the same DF process while keeping DM open? That definitely doesn't work nicely in the available version. You'll need to close and reopen DM if you load a game. This has been fixed in the next version.

Here is what I see happening when I try using Dwarf Manager.  On both attempts, the root problem was the same in that I could, in theory, switch around my dwarves - but only to a single profession.  That means I can have Miner, Crafter, and Farmer professions, but moving anyone from any of them only adds that dwarf to Crafter, and no where else.  This is bad, because this essentially neuters the powers of Dwarf Management.   I have done several different ways of setting up my dwarves before using Dwarf Manager, like manually naming professions and their labor properties, but this doesn't happen.  When I try to alter most things in Dwarf Fortress with the manager, Writing creates the bug report in the spoiler.

I guess I know what you mean, and it wasn't intentional ;)  (as in "it's a bug") Fixed in next version.

I like the tool, thanks for that. The extra features are a big help at times, saves from having to flip back and forth between the game and Foreman to tweak custom class names.

That's exactly what I was missing most. I was even too lazy to set custom prof names at all, although it allows much nicer management.

Class Presets - In a nutshell, if you give somebody the title of, say, Stone, with the press of a button you could automatically assign all duties associated with stones and rocks, completely up to the user to create their own presets of course. Would this be doable?

Indeed it would. I'll add it to my possible features list ;)

keep getting an error when i press "load from DF"

Unhandled exception

The given key was not present in the dictionary.

not sure how to post hidden by a spoiler tag so i don't spal everyone with the error information.

i do have net 3.5 installed. used the link right on your site.

Please post the first few lines of the error or use the
Code: [Select]
[spoiler] your text [/spoiler] tag. I guess you are not using 40c or 40d, but that error might be anything.

I was also playing around with a more loose coupling of labors and skills, so it is possible to show the social skills. I'm still experimenting with military stuff, but I guess I won't go too far here, as Toady seems to be changing attributes and squad stuff. Instead I'll try to release a new version with the fixes above and whatever changes I already did and can clean up easily.

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 07:49:20 pm »

yep i'm stupid. 40c.. downloading 40d now to see if thats all it was. sorry for my attack of stupidness.

codewright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 08:16:01 pm »

yep i'm stupid. 40c.. downloading 40d now to see if thats all it was. sorry for my attack of stupidness.
Actually, 40c should work. Except I made some last minute changes, which I can't remember. Anyway, in case you encounter the error again, just post it.

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 01:16:17 am »

I tried using Dwarf Managers several ways, sometimes opening the program while a game was running, or have it open before starting Dwarf Fortress.  In the latter case, I always loaded the game.  I don't recall using the program while playing a dwarf fortress game and switching to another, but it is possible.

caas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 05:01:04 am »

Just wanted to let you know , I have been using your program from the start now, and I have yet to encounter any misbehavior.
You ROCK!

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 01:01:31 pm »

This program is made of jesus and win. Thanks a ton <3<3<3

As an advanced feature, I'd love to be able to toggle a job on or off for all dwarves based on what jobs those dwarves already have. For example, I need my mining to get done, so batch disable refuse hauling for all dwarves that have mining enabled. :D
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Spartacus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • You cannot pass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 05:54:26 pm »

Woah!

This is the exact program that I was so patiently waiting for!
You did a good job on this!  ;D
This is gonna improve my Dwarf Fortress experience a ton!  :)
...Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone...

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2008, 08:37:37 pm »

Ok i do seem to have a little issue.

I got it to work first of all. Yes it was cause I was using 40C.
40D worked fine.

When I use it to assign a profession name it adds that name to a little list to quickly assign dwarves to that preset. Like it. But, it doesn't work for me.

(Example) Say I assign someone manually as a farmer or something else so i can keep track of them. Well then if i use the drop down to turn another dwarf into a farmer. It just makes them  the last profession I added, and not the one i selected in the list.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 02:32:51 pm by nicholasneko »

codewright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 06:40:39 pm »

Thank you for all the kind words ;)
I hereby announce the new version which is mostly a bugfix release, but incorporates some (partly experimental) features, including military-style labor support. Please note that i do not plan to go on further with incorporating attributes or military structure, because it seems like a bunch of changes are coming in these sectors. I will, however, have a more in-depth look at the non-boolean "labors" armor and weaponnum and the mutually exclusive military labors (axe, sword,...). For now, please be careful when using these labor-thingies as DM allows you to set multiple weapon skills to be active at once, which is not possible in DF. Unarmed is simply no weapon skill active.

Changelog:
Code: [Select]
Version 0.2 [2008-10-21]
  * Fixed error when loading a different game in DF, while DM was already connected.
  * Fixed bug that made the quick-profession-naming always give the first custom profession name.
  * Added possibility to define multiple tables in table layout
  * Fixed bug in 40c memory layout (i think)
  * Added possibility to define SkillId in columns instead of only labour (which is then linked to a skill).
    A column with skill id can not be enabled/disabled, but only shows the skill indicator.
  * Fixed crash when loading another game while DM was already connected

Ok i do seem to have a little issue.

I got it to work first of all. Yes it was cause I was using 40C.
40D worked fine.

When I use it to assign a profession name it adds that name to a little list to quickly assign dwarves to that preset. Like it. But, it doesn't work for me.

(Example) Say I assign someone manually as a farmer or something else so i can keep track of them. Well then if i use the drop down to turn another dwarf into a farmer. It just makes them  the last profession I added, and not the one i selected in the list.

That should be fixed in the new version.

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 08:04:26 pm »

haven't tried the new version yet as i haven't loaded the game BUT! i came up with an idea.

default profession settings. i like how as we manually set professions it loads them into that quick select list.. but what if the game came preloaded with one? or we could make up one then post it as a simple file that we could then dump into the DM folder and thus have our quick select preloaded with profession settings?

codewright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 08:19:49 pm »

haven't tried the new version yet as i haven't loaded the game BUT! i came up with an idea.

default profession settings. i like how as we manually set professions it loads them into that quick select list.. but what if the game came preloaded with one? or we could make up one then post it as a simple file that we could then dump into the DM folder and thus have our quick select preloaded with profession settings?

I was thinking about externally storing the names already, but I think it's only really worth it if it's bundled with this:
Class Presets - In a nutshell, if you give somebody the title of, say, Stone, with the press of a button you could automatically assign all duties associated with stones and rocks, completely up to the user to create their own presets of course. Would this be doable?

This will, however, require some kind of little config menu. Not necessarily for initially setting the labors of a custom profession (this can be done using the context menu for a single dwarf -> "set labors of this dwarf as his professions default"), but for finetuning/managing them. This is definitely on my todo list.

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 01:03:09 am »

ok <.<;; so how about a way to change the sorting of the lists? gets kinda strange with the upper set of jobs A-Z then a lower set for manually added professions A-Z.

Gertack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 05:50:44 pm »

Awesome program.  You can even make nobles do useful things.

I just wish people with "Legendary" skills were move obvious.  It's hard to tell from the big box who's Legendary and who's simply close to it, such as Master.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 06:51:34 am »

Does it really matter?
<3

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 09:20:46 am »

He posted it, did he not?

As a (temporary?) solution to the "I dunno who's legendary" issue, periodically grant custom titles to legendary dwarves.  For dwarves with very few labors active (i.e. default stoneworkers:  masonry & engraving), you can mark legendary engravers with the title "Stoneworker+" (ignoring masonry since it's easy to train masons in a non-legendary, block-only trainee workshop).  For more complex skill sets (i.e. default craftsdwarves), you might try to append their title with letters denoting which skills are legendary.  So long as you put the letters in the same order every time, you can neatly sort your legendary bonecrafters (Craftsdwarf B) from your combination leg. bonecrafter/glassmakers (Craftsdwarf BG).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13