Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: The Dwarven Vault - future sucession game  (Read 8235 times)

Celebrethil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Vault - future sucession game
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 05:56:03 pm »

Ooh, me!

Name: Sterling
Occupation: I'd love to be a miner/mason/engraver, but if not, either a glassmaker or stonecrafter. Yeah, I'm easy.  ;)

ETA: And female preferably.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 08:02:46 pm »

Fantastic! A surge of volunte-,ahem, explorers!

This is reserved for the first part, so get ready!

Keep in mind that this is going to be played out like Migrursut or Nist Akath, I play the fortress, you enjoy the story.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 08:06:25 pm »

Name one Duke, and have 'im do whatever needs doing. Although eventual military duty would be nice, whatever you need.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 09:05:08 pm »

Name one Duke, and have 'im do whatever needs doing. Although eventual military duty would be nice, whatever you need.
Stock up on supplies and some ham, and lets move the caravan!
( 4-5 wagons = a Caravan )

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 09:08:57 pm »

How do I put up screenshots? Just so you can get maximun effect for a while.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 09:11:34 pm »

Screenshots of the DF window can be taken with alt + Print Screen.

Find an image hosting site, say Photobucket, make an account, and host them there. Take the link and stick 'em between image tags in the forum.

Tadaaaaa! You have images.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 09:14:38 pm »

Screenshots of the DF window can be taken with alt + Print Screen.

Find an image hosting site, say Photobucket, make an account, and host them there. Take the link and stick 'em between image tags in the forum.

Tadaaaaa! You have images.
MediaFire is better, you don't need an account and it one of the most advanced uploaders.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 09:19:33 pm by Foa »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 09:23:50 pm »

But I want the pictures to be in the threat itself, not on photobucket!

How do I do that?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 09:37:34 pm »

I'm not sure about MediaFaire, but if you check an image there should be some nearby area that shows a URL for the image. Laft clicking that area in Photobucket will copy it to your clipboard. Then do the following:

Code: [Select]
[img]URL goes here[/img]
 That should show it. Remember, the site will provide a URL, don't use the one in the address bar.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 09:43:42 pm »

It's the same as Photobucket.

http://www.mediafire.com/index.php
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 09:50:17 pm by Foa »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 09:51:18 pm »

Dwarf me, please!

Name: inaluct

Job: Tanner and/or leatherworker. I think having herds of muskoxen or goats or something would be an excellent source of food, and we already have a butcher. If either of my requested positions is filled or unnecessary, give me anything.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 10:30:42 pm »

Here goes!

----------------------------------------------------

I don't know how long we have been running. Days? Months? Even years? I don't care about that anymore. All I care about is getting further south, along the mountains...

But how did we get to this? How can this be happening?

It all begun years ago, in the year 290. The goblins in the north were acting up again, as said by reports from outposts up there and the human caravans that visited. They seem to be preparing for a new bout of sieges on towns and outposts, the letters said.

They were right, and then some.

What we didn't know is that the goblins were infact massing their forces. Thousands of them, hundereds of thousands, MILLIONS even. They were equiping their soldiers in the quiet years, multiplying their numbers greatly, breeding like cats.

Then they began marching south.

First to feel the brunt were the Humans, I suspect. There was a large empire up in the north made from humans back then. At first, we got reports and letters asking for some assistance from this empire. We reasoned that they could handle some lowly goblins by themselves, how hard could it be to kill 20 or so?

Then the letters stopped coming.

The elves were next, pansies that they are, I'll give them that they are firce archers at times. They reassured us that their forests will survive the greenskined onslaught.

2 years later, the smoke from their burning forests reached us in the mountains. It was by this time that our northern outposts were coming under regular siege by the scum. Reacting quickly, the king and queen ordered an army to engage the goblin foe up north before they could reach us further south. Over 100 vetrans left the mountainhomes to fight this menace.

They never returned. Soon after, 3 of the outposts fell. Then the letters from our kin up north stopped coming.

Personally as I reflect on those times, I realise that I was one of the lucky ones. If you could call it that. I was currently living in the center of our empire, in our capital, as a normal peasent. What happened next, shocked the world to the core.

The goblins assaulted our capital in large numbers. Over a hundered died on our steps.

They had never had the guts to do this before! Where had they all come from? How come they had so much pressure on us to be able to do this?

We were lucky that this was actually a scouting force. The real army was not too far behind, numbering in the thousands at best, is what the scouts that came back alive told us.

I then realised that it was no longer safe to be in the capital, reguardless of guards, military, traps and architecture. I gathered 7 others who also thought this way and we grabbed a wagon, saying that we were going to set up a outpost south under orders of the king. The guards paid no heed to us, doutlessly having other thoughts on their minds...

The 8 of us left as quick as possible and one week later, the king ordered all roads and tunnels closed, and guards on daily patrols. 5 Years later, the eight of us who had stopped in one of the southern human empires for a rest and resupply heard that the capital had fallen under imeasureable forces that were in a siege.

We were the only surviviors from that city.

Another 2 years later and the 8 of us had grown to 20 from meeting others who had the same thoughts as us. They also came with supplies and another 2 wagons. We marched onwards, to the frozen south.

Luck was with us in the summer of that year, it was heard that the goblins were also running south with purpose of looking for loot and glory. Some of these bands numbered in the hundreds. We even passed a town that was ransacked and burnt to the ground as proof of this. It was luck that we weren't discovered, and luck alone that we had stayed alive for this long.

We eventually went past the southern human empires and entered the wild lands of the frozen south. Here outposts were few and far between, with little amounts of protection. As proven when we stumbled upon a dwarven outpost that had almost fallen under an ambush from one of the roving goblin parties. Out of the 30 that were living in that outpost, only 4 were still alive, 2 locked inside their rooms.

This 4 joined us, seeing that they had a larger chance of living if the came with us. We resupplied ourselves with was there was in the outpost, including some dogs and tools, and left for the most southern of mountain ranges for safety.

When the year 300 was almost upon us, we were at the bottom of the mountain ranges. We had heard of small human empires to the east that were holding up fine, and acting like there was nothing wrong with the world! Nothing at all!

Whats more, when we were passing through some of these towns, we heard talk of an empire of elves to the north of the mountain range that we were settleing on! We paid this no heed and proceeded onwards.

Finally, in the winter of 299, we hit a dwarven outpost in the south. There were still reminants of our race and they had not heard the news of what had happened in the north because of the sheer isolation. We told them and they reacted a bit badly but still welcomed us and gave us supplies. They told us that they would contact the rest of the settlements down here and see what they could send in the way of immagrants and caravans.

I dout that they would keep their word when talking about immagrants. Not willingly.

We pressed onwards, to the west, putting an entire mountain range between us and the goblins.

And here I stand at the site of our new home. We have all decided that until the goblin scourge has gone back north, we shall stay hidden as much as we can. We must isolate ourselves from the world in order to live in it.

And so we shall build a vault. A mighty vault so that we can live in peace and safety. We shall not emerge for years, but we will survive as long as nesscessary. I have made sure that the miners had found a place where there are natural features that we can take advantage of, and that there is plenty of space to dig out our mighty home.

Ekastgeshud - Safefortress!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 12:26:32 am »

Journal of Zak, 1st entry:

1st of Granite, Spring, Year 301

We have arrived at the spot where the vault will take place. After staying a year at one of the outposts in this mountain range, we left two of the wagons there, piled the rest of the stuff in the other one, and traveled here.

Heres a quick map for anyone who is curious about our position. Be sure not to show it to anyone outside the settlement!

And already this place shows promise of being a bastion of safety!

The brook that goes straight across the area into the mountains has carved a canyon for us to exploit! It also has exposed many minerals and metals, so that we know where to dig!

A magma tube open to the surface is great for smelting metals, or so I'm told by our resident metalsmith. Dangerous, but helpful!

There is also what appears to be a bottomless pit nearby that is also open to the surface. Its got some nasty stuff in there, and I'm sure that noone is willing to go near it anytime soon. But when cleared out, it will make for a great garbage disposal system!

"Ladies and gentlemen, this will become our bastion of safety! Safefortress! STRIKE THE EARTH!"

We soon got to work, unloading the wagon, while the miners rushed at the cliff.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2008, 01:30:25 am »

Journal of Zak, 2nd Entry:

19th of Felsite, Year 301, late spring

The miners are working fast. VERY fast. Already, we have the main entry hall ready to be smoothed, the cross defensice bunker and some staircases dug out.

We are even building a paved road!

The Fireheart has been working rentlessly, making doors and blocks out of the rock we dig out of the mountain. Seems to like hard work...

But I bring bad news... We are running low on food and drink.

VERY low...

I have ordered a butchers to be set up and to butcher the spare animals. Also a tanners, so we dont waste anything.

I personally have made a craftshop so that we can put the wood that we didn't use as well as the bones and stone we get, to be put to good use.

I just hope that the traders arrive soon. Looks like we need some help in the food department...

Tibbles

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2008, 01:37:53 am »

I'LL TAKE THE MINER.

NAME: TIBBLES
PROFESSION NAME: ASSHAT
GODAMMIT KOBOLDS
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8