Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: The Dwarven Vault - future sucession game  (Read 8223 times)

Aardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Vault - future sucession game
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2008, 02:00:33 pm »

it was nothing
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 02:02:34 pm by Aardvark »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2008, 08:35:44 am »

The following events are in rough cronological order according to records and witnesses. :

"What do you mean, I'm responsible for the metalsmiths?!"

"I'm afraid that due to you being a guard, you should have been enforcing the mandate from the mayor, or so he says. And due to superiority in rank, I must obey and enforce the law however possible."

"But the smiths openly told us all that it was impossible to make bismuth bronze with what we have! Not even the miners know what bismuth looks like!"

"I know, and because of this I am only giving you a short sentance."

"How long, Captain?"

"About 24 days should do it. Long enough to show I'm doing something and short enough to help you. Don't worry, the cells have been outfitted with beds and ropes, not chains. They are smoothed over by now and you'll be fine. Infact, you'll have a break from training!"

"Really? Well, I'm not sure, but I suppose that I must..."

"Good. Now get in there before I have to beat the crap out of you."

-------------------------------

A scream came from one of the planters as a dwarf was seen rushing up the stairs and into a mason's shop, kicking out the mason working and barricading the door after grabbing a single rock.

Some days later, they staggered out holding an artifact saying they didn't know what happened.

The elves came with their donkeys and mules, hauling their crafts and goods. Some time later, they went through the tunnel into the trade deport and unloaded their goods.

Noone came to even greet them.

Soon after, even though they were in a separate part of the fortress, they soon heard loud shouts from the dwarves and the sound of a large door rising from the floor behind them echoed through the cavern as it shut.

The craftsdwarf was outside to grab something from the corpse of a kobold when he saw the cloud opposite from the entrance hall of the vault. He left what he was doing and rushed back inside screaming;

"THEY COME! THE GOBLINS ARE BACK!! SHUT THE BLAST DOORS!!!"

A dwarf came running down a nearby tunnel into the lever room for the blast doors on the front entrance and pulled it, the gears grinding as they turned and the door shut with a dull BOOM.

Then she heard the scream;

"MY CHILD! MY CHILD IS STILL OUT THERE!"

A nearby guard grabbed the mother and pulled her away from the doors, hushing her and taking her to the food storage to drink something strong.

The child didn't last long as the goblins let out harsh jeers and the sounds of bowstrings hissing filled the air as the child was silenced.

"What do we do?" said the mayor to a small meeting of dwarves.

"Simple, we wait them out." replied Captain Affy, scratching the back of her head.

"WAIT THEM OUT? ARE YOU MAD?!"

"Hardly, I'm actually quite sane. Your the one who is mad, my dear mayor. We can't go out because we will all be killed quickly before we can close ground."

"And why is that? I thought that the millitary was skilled enough to handle goblins? Or are you just sitting around getting drunk instead of training?"

"We train daily, thank you very much. And are a lot more sober than you, as you can see by my eyes."

She promptly pulled her lower eyelids down to prove her point. All who were there winced at the redness of her eyes as she let the eyelids return to their natural position.

"And why we can't go out is simple. We are unarmoured, unarmed and have no shields. We would stand only seconds before getting cut down by a hail of arrows."

"But youre supposed to kill the goblins!"

"Not by a suicidal charge into a arrow rain!! If we die, then everyone dies! I will not loose my squad by obeying the foolish orders of a mayor, and that's final!"

The mayor huffed quietly and looked around at everyone, an audience of 4.

"Very well then. What about the elves?"

"We let them out when they are bored and shut the door behind them immediately after they leave. I hate to say it, but they may distract the goblins into running after them and away from us."

"Ok, and what do the rest of you say to this?"

Zak, the dungeon master and the Captain of the Guard nodded. The plan seemed reasonable enough.

"Good. The plan will go according to what Captain Affy here describes. But do you remember the member of Kornash's squad who was injured, Captain Affy?"

She nodded and let the mayor continue;

"Well, if she doesn't get water soon, she'll die from thirst. And can you live with this death on your mind? Can you?"

Affy paused for a second before answering;

"I believe so, if its for the good of the people."

"Very well then. Off you all go."

They all strolled out of the mayors office, with Captain Affy having a sad look on her face.

Soon enough, the injured dwarf died and was replaced by a fresh member from the peasantry.

Just as Captian Affy said, the goblins got bored and left after staying into the spring of Year 304.

A Cistern was being dug out so that the dwarves would never run out of drink again, even if it was only water.

Soon after, as the basin was being filled, a dwarven caravan arrived from one of the nearby outposts.

"Ok, we got what you wanted. A shit load of logs, tons of alcohol of various types and origin and a couple of metal bars of precious metal, including steel. And what do you have?"

"2 jackets, 3 trousers, 2 shoes and a sock."

"DEAL!"

The trader looked at the haulers who were looking on in shock.

"See why I'm the trader?"
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 04:22:39 am by Zako »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2008, 04:24:55 am »

Ok, post is up! DIG IN FELLAS!  ;D

Note: Because of studies and school matters, I will be forced to limit my posting of the fort's status to twice a week, mainly on thursday and the weekend. Sorry!  :'(

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2008, 04:47:37 pm »

Whoo. Epic post!

About how many dwarves do we have in the military at the moment? Are we all unarmed?

Great storytelling too, can't wait for next one!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2008, 09:24:00 pm »

Well, in the military, there is 15 dwarves in total. All unarmed, except for Viktor's squad who is using crossbows. However, I equipped the close combat guys with shields (Everyone else but Viktor's squad) so they can practise with them as well. Still need to make armour and then training weapons, but its progress. Just slow progress, thats all.

Oh yeah, there is 11 fortress guards in total, including the Captain of the guard who is also part of the fortress guard.

Thanks for the comment! And as a note to everyone, please feel free to write diary posts! It enhances everything!

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2008, 09:29:41 pm »

diary of (Urist)

There has been the first imprisonment of a dwarf for a Noble's arbitrary demands in this fortress. My ancestors scream from their thousand chambers within my mind. They do that. Some of them do it all the time, because they had issues with cave spiders in the past. but particularly they do it when near large bodies of water, or when nobles get arbitrary. I gather some of them lived in places without a large fortress guard. Some of them died in those places, too. Some by hammer.

Though a couple of them have interesting suggestions involving upright spikes, levers, and doors. If a hammerer appoints himself over the vault, i just might share their advice.

anyone get the reference?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 09:49:26 pm by (name here) »
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2008, 10:35:22 pm »

I see what you did there. :)

And we haven't got a hammerer or baron/baroness yet. If ever. And I plan to keep the hammerer if s/he doesn't kill or seriously main anyone.

Actually, lately I have been thinking of setting up a large pitfall trap in the main corridor, with retactable bridges and that. And spikes. Lots of spikes.

>:D

Plus it has the benifit of isolating goblins on a retractable island for target practice for a siege engine or the marksdwarves if I decide to set it up that way.

Should I do this?

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2008, 08:11:54 pm »

yes. yes you should.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2008, 12:47:35 am »

Journal of Zak:

Some strange stuff has been happening lately, especially in the mining section.

Recently, the miners made a screw up when digging out a large pit for a future trap, and the masons needed to plug up the hole with walls.

Then we heard Tibbles start foaming at the mouth and rush off upstairs to the workshops where he then 'Claimed' a workshop and rushed around again carrying rocks back upstairs...

He started work soon after grabbing a couple of rocks.

And after a while of crafting, he walked out holding a wonderous equipment rack!

Simple yet effective.

He says that something else was guiding his hands, forcing his body to obey. Perhaps the presence of the creature in his mind is what forced him to screw up the digging earlier...

But I have good news! We are now starting the steel making process! Soon the power and strengh of steel will be ours!!

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2008, 12:55:30 am »

We must seal ourselves off.

The outside is unclean.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2008, 05:11:50 pm »

Just gotta finish some stuff up first and the grand sealing will go on as planned!

Glory to the vault!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2008, 12:57:58 am »

Sorry for the readers at home for not replying to this topic for awhile! Eye infections suck in a big way.

Anyways, a new update coming here soon! Keep your eyes peeled!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2008, 12:35:11 pm »

The irony of that post made me laugh.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2008, 07:00:23 pm »

Now that I read my post, it is pretty funny, I just didn't realise it at the time. :)

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2008, 10:07:21 pm »

Make a water cannon, it is the only way to kill the vermin.

Also to loot them without making them angry, FORBID EVERYTHING IN THE DEPOT, AND DESTROY THE DEPOT, THEN USE THE WATER CANNON.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8