Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: America is full of FAIL!  (Read 17862 times)

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: America is full of FAIL!
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2008, 12:29:10 pm »

I hate the stupid people in America, should be ashamed of even existing. 90% of Americans are stupid.

You have no idea how fucking hilarious this is, coming from you.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Chill, folks
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2008, 12:36:56 pm »

To quote Toady "Let us maintain our chill composure"

No reason for anyone to start flaming anyone else, or even to be throwing insults around about everyone else's countries. While to subject at hand is important, and some tongue-in-cheek jesting is probably warranted, there's no reason to make this board uglier.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2008, 01:33:30 pm »

Uglier? Flame is necessary to kill trolls, if you believe in norse myths.
However, some flaming !!oil!! is needed here, since all of this is FOR OIL!

LONG LIVE DUBAI OIL EXPLOITER!!! [sarcasm end]

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nuclear? Nucular. Nucular? Nuclear. Whatever, one of those.
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2008, 01:55:35 pm »

Okay, in reference to Kogan's remarks about nuclear power, I have an idea that will set the safety record of American nuclear power plants at 100% and keep them there permanently.  This will address not only safety concerns, but also the NIMBY syndrome that so often affects nuclear plants.

Dave's Idiotic Ideas, Part Three:  It's simple.  All you do is pass a regulation that states that the CEO and board of directors of whichever company owns the nuclear plant, as well as their immediate families, must live closer to the plant than anybody else.  You pass this law, and as the Republicans like to say, "the market will take care of itself".  When the guy who is in charge of getting a reactor built as cheaply as possible is also the guy whose children will glow if he cuts corners on safety measures (rather than him living in a gated community a hundred miles away), we will have a 100% nuclear safety record, period.

Now, I didn't just pull this theory out of my ass.  I'm inspired by the US Navy's nuclear submarine program.  As far as I know, there's NEVER been a Three Mile Island or Chernobyl on an American nuclear submarine.  Is this just luck?  Absolutely not!  It's because the man in charge literally lives on the reactor he's in charge of.  You simply apply this concept to corporate fat cats and reactors built on land, and presto, safe nuclear power.

Again, no, I'm not joking.  This is what I actually believe.  If I'm an idiot and this wouldn't work, by all means, tell me why.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2008, 02:01:01 pm »

No, no, I think you're right. People are MUCH more careful when it's their lives/money/families/whatever on the line and not someone else's.

Now, how likely it is that such a measure could be passed...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2008, 03:09:45 pm »

No, no, I think you're right. People are MUCH more careful when it's their lives/money/families/whatever on the line and not someone else's.

And how we can apply it elsewhere...

I remember an amusing Dilbert comic that would be perfect here, where the CEO states all engineers need to use their product and showing them groaning in pain, but I'm not going to search for it. Where I have read other comic archives, I'm not trying the Dilbert one. Just... too long. Where other archives will only take a few days of my life, I don't wish to waste a week on it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2008, 03:32:23 pm »

Quote from: Mephansteras

Well, it all depends on how the election goes.  Maybe Obama really meant it when he was talking about how (paraphrasing here) "Congress will have exactly the same health care as any other American citizen" and "we're going to become a world leader in safe nuclear power".

Heck, a lot of people thought that the robber barons would never lose their monopolies.  Proper advertising, that's the key.

"Some lobbyists claim that the Bromor Neckbeard Nuclear Safety Bill will drive nuclear energy out of the country.  But who could possibly object to safe nuclear energy?  TERRORISTS, that's who!  Yes, the TERRORISTS want to keep America hooked on fossil fuels, so that we keep funding their war against OUR FREEDOM!  Remember, a vote against the Bromor Neckbeard Nuclear Safety Bill is a vote for TERRORISM!"

Quote from: Mephansteras

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

Fission is not the way forward, fusion is right round the corner. No point in paying to build fission plants when fusion is so close to perfection. Cant be bothered to go into details but I did my open book paper of fusion/fission and the main problem with fission atm is simply what the container walls are made out of. And as a bonus side effect fusion is much safer it cant really blow up like fission because exposing it to any uncontrolled environment throttles the reaction it is done using easily available materials (hydrogen mainly) and it produces helium, which is completely safe.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2008, 06:51:37 pm »

What?  But we can't just abandon Nuclear energy after everything it's done for us!! :o
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2008, 08:44:52 pm »

I hate the stupid people in America, should be ashamed of even existing. 90% of Americans are stupid.

Pure ignorance. I could say the same thing for any country.

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2008, 08:46:05 pm »

Fission is not the way forward, fusion is right round the corner. No point in paying to build fission plants when fusion is so close to perfection. Cant be bothered to go into details but I did my open book paper of fusion/fission and the main problem with fission atm is simply what the container walls are made out of. And as a bonus side effect fusion is much safer it cant really blow up like fission because exposing it to any uncontrolled environment throttles the reaction it is done using easily available materials (hydrogen mainly) and it produces helium, which is completely safe.

Currently it takes more energy to start a fusion reaction than the energy produced by it (Using Hydrogen 3/Tritium)

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2008, 01:50:34 am »

America is just like any other country, there are some brilliant people, and some not-so-brilliant people (the politicians ;D). I believe that once the economy collapses, it will help America set its priorities straight. It will be hard, but it wil be hard for EVERYBODY. I live in New Zealand, in the middle of nowhere, and we've gone into a recession because of whats happened in America. I think though, once we've come out the other side, we'll be able to create guidelines to prevent the sort of things that brang this collapse about from happening again.

If any Americans out there aren't cheered up by the thought of a recession, look at it this way: You're taking everyone else down with you  ;)
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2008, 02:00:47 am »

The REALLY stupid thing is that we DID have safeguards in place to stop this sort of thing.  But greedy businessmen and dumb politicians took those away so some people could get more money.

But greed isn't exactly a trait unique to the US.
Come play Mafia with us!

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2008, 05:47:18 am »

Currently it takes more energy to start a fusion reaction than the energy produced by it (Using Hydrogen 3/Tritium)

Because they cant sustain the reaction, as soon as it starts building up the intense heat causes hydrogen to bond with the carbon walls producing hydrocarbons which flake off into the chamber and screw up the reaction.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2008, 08:02:57 am »

America is just like any other country, there are some brilliant people, and some not-so-brilliant people (the politicians ;D). I believe that once the economy collapses, it will help America set its priorities straight. It will be hard, but it wil be hard for EVERYBODY. I live in New Zealand, in the middle of nowhere, and we've gone into a recession because of whats happened in America. I think though, once we've come out the other side, we'll be able to create guidelines to prevent the sort of things that brang this collapse about from happening again.

If any Americans out there aren't cheered up by the thought of a recession, look at it this way: You're taking everyone else down with you  ;)

I don't think any regulation or laws will ever work, because nobody seems to understand the economies. Until the world can send an economic adviser into Panama and turn it into a first world nation overnight, I wouldn't want global requirements on money. Really the biggest problem is that stupid people have a lot of money, and listen to others on where to put it to turn it into more money. These people put it into America's economy, and got burned for it. If any of them were smart, they'd have been cutting their losses in America when the mass exodus to china started.

Don't be afraid deadlycairn, your recession will end soon, until China or India sink under bad economic policies. Perhaps by then someone will have figured out how to make a functioning economy.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8