Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Making DF school safe  (Read 13763 times)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making DF school safe
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2008, 08:02:16 pm »

Tbh, I revel in violence in bloodshed when I play DF, mainly because that's the primary way things can go wrong, and it's FUN when things go wrong.

This isn't to say I don't enjoy all the other aspects of the game - designing, building, maintaining, experimenting and so on - but you can't deny things get the most exciting when seiges show up repeatedly or your dwarves start getting dragged into the chasm by horrible creatures.

Yeah, I also love the violence in DF. Its just fun, hell no its FUN with big letters!  ;D .. but again maybe its not for small kids, even if its graphical violence only.

............MY kids sure aren't playing a game like DF till they're good and mature!

On the other hand I'd love to have them play a game like this...on the other hand, I'd rather have them go ride a bike and play with other kids and kiss a girl instead.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2008, 08:43:39 pm »

Some nerd you are.  Take your social experience and physical activity back where it belongs.

On the other hand I'd love to have them play a game like this...on the other hand, I'd rather have them go ride a bike and play with other kids and kiss a girl instead.
Even if it's a daughter?  Freak.  Also, you have a lot of hands.

Ok, serious post.  It's already been linked, but I set up a thread for a modding project, and I'm putting together a design doc.  This being ostensible for Rathan, do you have any specific requests or requirements?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2008, 07:12:14 am »

Tbh, I revel in violence in bloodshed when I play DF, mainly because that's the primary way things can go wrong, and it's FUN when things go wrong.

This isn't to say I don't enjoy all the other aspects of the game - designing, building, maintaining, experimenting and so on - but you can't deny things get the most exciting when seiges show up repeatedly or your dwarves start getting dragged into the chasm by horrible creatures.

Yeah, I also love the violence in DF. Its just fun, hell no its FUN with big letters!  ;D .. but again maybe its not for small kids, even if its graphical violence only.

............MY kids sure aren't playing a game like DF till they're good and mature!

Haha, yeah and also, I think that a "censured" version of DF [DF without the violent gameplay elements] would be excellent to "work" on the creativity of the little kids.  :)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2008, 11:11:04 am »

Oh no!
Old people topic!
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2008, 07:29:38 pm »

I think you mean censored. Censured would be someone hunting down Toady and giving him a slap on the wrist with a ruler and a firm scolding.

But a clean version of DF would be cool, mostly because the engine itself has so much potential.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2008, 07:34:52 pm »

I think you mean censored. Censured would be someone hunting down Toady and giving him a slap on the wrist with a ruler and a firm scolding.

But a clean version of DF would be cool, mostly because the engine itself has so much potential.

Ah damn yeah..sorry my english is far from being perfect.  :-X

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2008, 12:53:56 am »

Dwarf Fortress is going to become the next Oregon Trail.

The dysentery strikes at your lower body.
It explodes in gore!
You have been struck down.

Turnip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2008, 11:03:52 pm »

The wagon goes berserk!
And (because of various programming quirks) dwarves are kinda stupid. Granted, so are the other races. But still.
And yet these stupid dwarves are going to eventually make a nuclear weapon out of cheese and basalt.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2008, 12:30:33 am »

One way to prevent flying chunks and limbs would me to make all the animals deal bludgeoning damage and make sure they can't grab a limb and rip it off.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2008, 09:48:37 am »

Bludgeoning damage: It explodes in gore!

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2008, 10:30:29 am »

But in fortress mode you don't see those combat reports.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Ubersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2008, 06:03:25 pm »

Slaves to Manifest Destiny: Settlement of the West

Chapter II: Oregon Fortress

But seriously the idea of using DF to teach schoolkids stuff is amazing. At any rate, it's amazing that 8-9 year olds have the attention span to watch a massive wall of ASCII and be even slightly interested. Though I'm sure the prospect of watching dwarves get eviscerated keeps the sociopathic ones happy.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2008, 08:07:45 pm »

You are a Great teacher.

I'd say just tell the kids the whole truth, that if they tell their parents they might not be alowed to play more, and thus to keep it secret.

Personal I never saw the point in keeping kids from violence and [censured].
It's a lie and crippling, just show them the full uncensured thing and tell them all the full truths, NEVER lie, there is no such thing as blissful ignorance or innocence.
The same thing goes for Santa, having a worldwide conspiracy (including their own very parent and teachers and government and everyone) to keep them in the dark is not very nice no matter what the ignorance is about.
By the way, the teen age group is an artificial construct by society, after puberty one is biological and mental an adult, any difference is put there by the expectations of those around.
And children are far more cappable than peaple thing, just look how fast they lerned the interface, parents are instictivly overprotective not realizing that it probably HARMS the kid far more than it helps them, rant rant rant rant rant rant rant...

Ok, I absolutely don't have kids and never will, I rarely encounter kinds, when I do I cant make sense of them, and they make me nauseous, so maybe I'm not the one to talk about how others should raise theirs, but not leting them play games on the computer because of the content is absolutely ungrounded, DF will never harm them in any way and not letting them play the vanilla version is cruel.

---

Oh shit did I make a rant about CHILDRISING?!? *cries over own corruption into the disgusting ranting thing he hates* :'(

---

By the way, even fif it shuld fail keep the thread updated so we can come and beat those parents to death whit their own severed feet. Tell the kids I said that. :p
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

socially_inept_butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2008, 05:47:25 pm »

You are a Great teacher.

I'd say just tell the kids the whole truth, that if they tell their parents they might not be alowed to play more, and thus to keep it secret.

American Laws state that he'll be in worse trouble by telling them to keep a secret. Especially if a kid leaks it, and inevitably that it's supposed to be a secret.
Urist Axebeard, Mayor, has banned the export of brains.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2008, 07:47:18 am »

I'd be an awful teacher.
Possibly even worse than a dwarf.
Actually, set up a dwarf schoolroom.
When the kids play up, the teacher goes berserk and slaughters the children.
Use this to instill discipline.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]