Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Making DF school safe  (Read 13780 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making DF school safe
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 10:47:48 am »

A trip through the raws should be able to:

Remove all hostile races, fantasy creatures, and (optionally) large predators.
Remove all useless jobs and excess military jobs (don't really need swordsmen)
Change the color of the blood (non-red is for some reason, usually less offensive)
Change the language files (I would make them all straight read)
Change the civs to only use 'happy' words
Adjust the growing seasons and movement speed to make it a little harder to survive
Remove the brewer job to eliminate the booze (although I think the British are smarter than the US there)
Change the races to not be alcohal dependant or have moods.  Also 'Cave adaption' should go
Change the races to be nicer and less likely to tantrum.

Prolly some more stuff, but that should cover you.

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 10:48:20 am »

Make a thread about your community, no, class fortress, pleaaaaaaase!
If the students have no objection.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 10:49:54 am »

Change the color of the blood (non-red is for some reason, usually less offensive)
Adjust the growing seasons and movement speed to make it a little harder to survive
Remove the brewer job to eliminate the booze (although I think the British are smarter than the US there)
Change the races to not be alcohal dependant or have moods.  Also 'Cave adaption' should go

Argh! Granite, the guy want to TEACH! Not shielding them with !!Norton!!.
Especially rise & fall of the settlers. So death will be inevitable

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2008, 10:50:40 am »

Don't forget to modify the language files.

Student: What does Badrape the Red Roughness anus mean?
 Parent: What. The. Hell.

I'm actually getting them setup in a region so they don't get to choose names and stuff - but yes that is a very good point I hadn't thought of. Thank you :)

Student: Why are we being attacked by the Goblin Badrape, the bloody anus?

You can never escape the RNG! Unless you remove the words themselves, they shall always come.

Student: Oh look, the resident Hoary Marmot has been given a title. Badra-
 *Duke has been struck down*
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2008, 11:08:57 am »

Argh! Granite, the guy want to TEACH! Not shielding them with !!Norton!!.
Especially rise & fall of the settlers. So death will be inevitable

Huh?  Teach them about what, exactly?  The danger of werewolf attacks?  The danger of not drinking enough booze?  How to deal with goblin attacks?

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2008, 11:26:01 am »

How to play Dwarf Fortress of course. Is this not the most useful thing anyone here ever learned?
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

MetBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2008, 11:57:28 am »

This idea is made of awesome and win. Also, consider how often you died in Oregon Trail.
Well, that is if you dont get your dwarves to tantrum and go berserk

And these are only the consequence of death and/or really bad managing. So the best thing to do is to eliminate moods (delete [trANCES] from the entries of whatever person you're using) to even still minimize the chance of death and downward spiralling. And in real life people don't go: "Hey, I know, I'm going to grab some shells, raw adamantine, steel, cut rubies and feather trees and claim this workshop to make a silly sceptre worth over 9000 monetary units!"
Actually, I once did a coding project that can only be described as being possessed. Whomped the thing out in like three days.

Celebrethil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2008, 01:02:32 pm »

Possibly a little faux-pas, but I would tentatively submit that for a survival sim in the style you mean, Unreal World might work a little better. It is still rather bloody, being a survival-in-the-Finnish-wilderness sim, but it is very much a perpetual fight against starvation with wolves trying to gut you the player. While I love DF more than my nonexistent children, it seems you'd have to mod it to death to get what you are looking for. The controls are, if possible, harder to learn than DF and the language is English translated reasonably well from Finnish.

Linky here: http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html

theubie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2008, 01:24:59 pm »

Possibly a little faux-pas, but I would tentatively submit that for a survival sim in the style you mean, Unreal World might work a little better. It is still rather bloody, being a survival-in-the-Finnish-wilderness sim, but it is very much a perpetual fight against starvation with wolves trying to gut you the player. While I love DF more than my nonexistent children, it seems you'd have to mod it to death to get what you are looking for. The controls are, if possible, harder to learn than DF and the language is English translated reasonably well from Finnish.

Linky here: http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html

I highly recommend this game for anyone, but in this situation it might not be exactly what the OP wants.  It's a single person game, as opposed to a community game.  However, it is a LOT better at teaching survival and the like.  It's also inherently graphical, so easier to understand.

Love the game so much I've got a lifetime subscription and at one time wrote a survival guide.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2008, 01:36:03 pm »

It's good to introduce people into geology. For most people there's only ores and rock.

Hell most games only have iron, steel, precious metals and MAYBE bronze. Then there's a very generic type of rock.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2008, 09:10:01 pm »

Make a thread about your community, no, class fortress, pleaaaaaaase!
If the students have no objection.

Fund it.

Also, Yanlin is right. This is a perfect way to teach geology in class.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2008, 09:39:33 pm »

Frankly, just let them play Dwarf Fortress as it was meant to be played.

Just be sure to point out the differences between Dwarves and Humans - IE, for humans, you'd want a water supply. For dwarves, it's booze. Humans would tend to build aboveground - and remind them that Dwarves can do the same.

It would probably actually be less 'tramautic' that way, really.

Besides, remember that in Oregon Trail, your 'family' could get dysentary and dye from terminal diarerreagh[/i] (I know I mangled the spelling of that.)

Compared to losing all the moisture your body needs to survive out the arse, getting torn apart by a bronze colussus or atomsmashed under a drawbridge is probably merciful.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2008, 11:35:03 pm »

Viking always try new things (Anglo-Saxons are viking, for all of you ignorant people)

Ah....no they're not.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2008, 06:26:59 am »

Getting back on topic: To avoid chunks, trantums and blood mod everything to have a single body part they use for everything, [NOBLEED][NOEMOTION][SEVERONBREAK] and don't give them internal organs. And delete the naughty words from the language files.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2008, 11:24:17 am »

[SEVERONBREAK] won't fix the chunking problem though.  And although a single bodypart will put a stop to limb loss, it will also cause some peculiar equipment usage...  Not to mention a shortened lifespan (combat is significantly more dangerous when you don't have a lot of "excess" parts that you can do without).

Dwarf Fortress was never meant to be a nonviolent game...  So modding it to be otherwise will have some unusual effects.

Still though, often the most traumatic part of a child witnessing something like this is the reaction of the parent.  We apparently spend many years of our life making sure that stick is lodged good and tight up our arse.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5