Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Making DF school safe  (Read 13751 times)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making DF school safe
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 07:19:20 am »

Dwarf Fortress is rated TDH (Too Damn Hard) for 8/9 year old kids to learn, what with the interface, regardless of any mutilations that take place.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 07:51:36 am »

Dwarf Fortress is rated TDH (Too Damn Hard) for 8/9 year old kids to learn, what with the interface, regardless of any mutilations that take place.

Don't worry, I learn Algebra at 9 y.o and it's easy.
DF is same like algebra.

Rathen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 07:59:47 am »

Lots of replies! Thank you for all the help.

This simply isn't true. We've played it as a whole group twice and they are already prompting me with the correct key to press. I'll also be on hand but I'm pretty confident they'll be ok.

Seriously? You're using dwarf fortress as an educational tool? Somehow, I doubt that's a good idea or will go over well with yer commandants.

Play Dwarf fort on your own time.

hahah no. I wouldn't be using it to indulge myself. I do play it on my own time. However, this game enables me to teach several objectives and does it in a far more fun way than me standing at the front talking about how people first settled in the area. It works, trust me. And my higher ups have given me permission to put it on the school computers independantly. Please don't make assumptions that you don't know much about. I wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't going to benefit my children.

Drunken - I love the idea about "Blowing chunks" but as we're in the UK we don't really use that expression. I may try introducing it.

With regards to censorship, I don't believe in it myself. I'd just rather the kids didn't go home and say "HEY TODAY GEORGE GOT RIPPED IN TWO BY A WOLF" "What?" "We were playing this game and a wolf grabbed him and split him in half". "I think we'll go have a word with your teacher.." If that makes sense.

thanks a lot guys, this is awesome :)

Rathen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 08:05:52 am »

Also, several people have requested updates/pictures etc. I'll let them play it tomorrow as is planned and will report back with screenshots of their twisted creations. It'll be a real eye opener.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 08:11:52 am »

You sir are the most awesome teacher ever! I wish I could of had a teacher like you when I was in school. IMHO most kids learn best with hands on things.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 08:13:51 am »

Yeah.
Awesome.
Viking always try new things (Anglo-Saxons are viking, for all of you ignorant people)

theubie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 08:18:28 am »

Uh, no.  If there's one thing that kids can do is figure out how to use an interface.  Unlike adults, they have no fear of trying EVERYTHING.  My 10 year old figured out how to carry cargo on planes for Transport Tycoon...after my wife and I had played the game religiously for more than a year.

His fortresses are full of win.

Rathen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 08:19:39 am »

You sir are the most awesome teacher ever! I wish I could of had a teacher like you when I was in school. IMHO most kids learn best with hands on things.

This combines the kinaesthetic approach with the visual approach - a mixed approach to learning is the most desirable! If it doesn't work, I'll admit it and hold my hands up and not bother with it again.

But we've spent two one-hour sessions on this in the past two weeks, and they can tell me WHY people settled in the area, as well as looking at the problems they'll face. That is exactly the objectives in the module I am trying to teach. Now to get it documented :)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 08:19:48 am »

Don't forget to modify the language files.

Student: What does Badrape the Red Roughness anus mean?
 Parent: What. The. Hell.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rathen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 08:24:11 am »

Don't forget to modify the language files.

Student: What does Badrape the Red Roughness anus mean?
 Parent: What. The. Hell.

I'm actually getting them setup in a region so they don't get to choose names and stuff - but yes that is a very good point I hadn't thought of. Thank you :)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 08:36:46 am »

Noo.

Its rated D for Dwarfyness.

That comment is rated R for retarded.

It's only funny if it's a real rating.

What gives you the idea that anybody cares about your sense of humor?

If his sense of humor is lacking, it's not lacking nearly as much as the pitiable state of your manners. Better to tell a joke that falls flat than to sound like a gimpish little troll 24/7.

Get a better attitude.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 09:35:24 am »

"Oh look. That W just made that m into two ^2 signs! The kids are learning math and not how to be serial killers!"
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 09:47:21 am »

Don't move the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] and [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] around in the init files, because if you have civ_controllable as a human you won't get all the items or jobs available to do. Instead, just make the creature used in the dwarf entity thing human, so you get human looking things that act exactly like dwarves. Also, you might want to remove the [ALCHOHOL_DEPENDANT], seeing as that won't be teaching kids survival too much.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Rathen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 09:57:44 am »

Also, you might want to remove the [ALCHOHOL_DEPENDANT], seeing as that won't be teaching kids survival too much.

A good point. Again, another nuance that I'd forgotten.

edit: Also, I do use a graphics pack which means it's much easier to follow the game. In my opinion, of course :)

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 10:43:15 am »

Also, keep the [trances], so your student can get something from that:

"Man, woman all can be stronger, if they become berserk"
"That's why murderer always murder, because berzerkers are cool" own opinion

At any rate, DF is good when it comes to teaching. Hell, I even study from it (such as the material, and nobles in general).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5