Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Builds - Your choice?  (Read 8209 times)

Ike

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Builds - Your choice?
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 11:05:42 pm »

Peasants.

All of them.

Make it challenging, you know?

On this note, I am just embarking to a patch of terrifying taiga called "The Vulgar Forest."  All 7 Dwarves are proficient liars and proficient comedians.  They are bringing along one pick, one axe, and 125 lead bars.  Nothing else.

Welcome to Boatsquid.

Refar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2008, 02:22:35 am »

Sounds like fun, but why lead ?
Today on Home Improvement TV:
Urist Twolefthand, Dabbling Mechanic, assembles a 10x Crossbow weapon trap.

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2008, 03:39:05 am »

Sounds like fun, but why lead ?
It takes more time to move it around!

I take
Miner
Miner
Carpenter/Woodcutter
Mason/Architect
Mechanic
Stonecrafter
Herbalist/Grower/Brewer/Cook/Other farming jobs

Bonus if the farmer is the leader! I like keeping guild jobs together, even though it may hit against efficiency. You can also remove a miner and the stonecrafter and make them farmers to set up fast Dwarven Syrup Roast(100) production instead of a foraging start.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2008, 05:02:39 am »

2x miner
woodcutter/carpenter
grower/herbalist
random
random
random

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2008, 03:57:05 pm »

5 mining/5 wrestler
5 Woodcrafting/2 Woodcutting/3 axedwarf (2 woodcutting is usually just enough for me to get all 7 beds the first day)
5 mechanic/5 marksdwarf (make enough cage traps to clear out a couple ambush parties, then send him to take out chasm fliers, imps, and caveriver thingies.
5 Mason (I keep him busy)
5 Grower/5 cooking
5 grower/5 brewing
5 appraiser/random social skills

Also throw in 6 picks to hack out those first few rooms faster.  Appraiser gets some early hauling from the wagon, gets switched to broker, then allowed to idle and keep everyone happy on their breaks.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2008, 04:24:14 pm »

I usually give out no skills, but assign the following:

2 dwarves a mining
2 dwarves a chopping
Seven Geese A Laying
1 dwarf gathering Plants via herbalism
1 Dwarf carpenting
1 Dwarf for misc (usually brewing/cooking or whatever else I need atm)

Seeing as I need more of a workforce to specialize in things, there's no need to take skilled dwarves at all.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2008, 05:43:24 am »

5 Mining, 1 Judge of Intent, 1 Appraiser, 1 Organizer, 1 Record Keeper (expedition leader by default)
5 Mining
5 Stonecrafting, 5 Bonecarving
5 Farming
5 Farming
5 Glassmaking
5 Gem Cutting, 5 Gem Setting

The miners and farmers are all on their own, I could have just the seven dwarves or 200+, I'll only ever have 2 miners and 2 farmers at any one time. Having them skilled from the beginning in these tasks helps a wee bit :)
The craftsdwarf makes lots of trinkets for the first few caravans out of the rock dug out by the miners.
The glassmaker is essentially my mason (anything that can be made from glass will be)
The jeweller takes raw green glass, cuts it and encrusts the craftsdwarf's trinkets with the cut green glass, boosting value slightly. In hindsight this is actually rather pointless as value of early-game stuff is so small and value not affected enough, so when I start a new game I might look to see what I could replace the jeweller with that might be more useful to me.  Maybe a dedicated smith...
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2008, 02:22:00 pm »

I modified my main startup so I have the following.

1/1/1/1/3/3 Judge Intent/Organizer/Appraiser/Bookkeeper/Mechanic/Architect
5/4/1: Woodcutter/Axedwarf/Ambusher
3/2/5: Marksdwarf/Ambusher/Carpenter
5/5: Miner/Farmer
5/5: Miner/Mason
5/5: Weaponsmith/Leatherworker
4/4/2: Cook/Brewer/Butcher

The plan is generally simple: I fashion an axe and shield for the Woodcutter, and a crossbow for the Marksdwarf whenever affordable. The cook does auxiliary duties (such as building walls/etc) until needed for cooking, the hunter builds while the cutter cuts (speeding up production rate overall).

juice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2008, 03:57:07 pm »

My favorite build:

1: Proficient Miner/Proficient Weaponsmith
2: Proficient Miner/Proficient Armorsmith
3: Proficient Miner/Proficient Mason
4: Proficient Carpenter/Proficient Woodcutter
5: Proficient Cook/Proficient Grower
6: Proficient Brewer/Proficient Grower
7: Proficient Mechanic/Proficient Bone Carver

I don't usually do a whole lot of masonry in favor of using glass so I might start making him something else. Since glass is an infinite supply I just train up 4-5 dwarves on it. The Carpenter/Woodcutter gets replaced with something else depending on what map I'm on. If there are no trees I just make him something else depending on what I feel like doing. Maybe a tailor or some other random tradeskill.

For supplies, I usually bring 40 of each liquor, some turtles, a small amount of meat to tide the dwarves until I establish farms, 50ish plump helmet seeds, 15-20 of each other seed, 3 picks, anvil, some logs for treeless maps, 2 cats and 2 dogs.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2008, 04:01:19 pm »

I personally find it more efficient for the woodcutter to focus on woodcutting, and the carpenter to be an indoor worker, as the woodcutter is the one most-likely to have to fight wildlife.

stummel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2008, 04:25:18 pm »

I don't spend any points on mining, they just learn it.
So there are:
Jeweler --> working as miner.
Woodcutter/Carpenter --> there will be enough immigrants to cut trees, so he could do his job as carpenter
Mason/Architect --> If you're going to build something you should know how to
Cook/Brewer --> of course
Grower/Gathering
Weaponmith/Armorsmith --> working as miner, but you need someone with knowledge about warfare
the last one is the leader, who is to be good in appraising, mechanics maybe liar, it is your choice --> but mechanics have to be is job --> it's like the cook - a very good first trade

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2008, 05:30:46 pm »

I've never really understood why so many people have woodcutter and carpenter on one dwarf.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2008, 08:22:16 pm »

It's inefficient is the problem. My rationale is the woodcutter is the one getting out in the open, so he needs self-defense. The hunter makes stuff out of the wood, while providing secondary defense in case the axedwarf gets in trouble. All the other dwarves bolt themselves safely inside protected workshops and pray the elephants don't get them...

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2008, 07:05:22 pm »

I'm lazy, and usually just take the default set of miner/mason/carpenter/jeweler(always gets the second pick)/woodcutter/fisherdwarf/fish cleaner. This works OK, there's a very interesting range of skills on those people. Worst problem with it is no metalworking skills.

This time I started with sparse trees, so traded in the steel axes  and some plump helmets for a load of wood and lots of funky skills. And seven picks.

This has led to the somewhat undesirable situation that years later I'm still somewhat too dependant on the founders doing various jobs rather than let lower-skilled migrants have a chance at them. This is bad not only because the migrants aren't growing into their jobs, but because mining has slowed to a crawl because the legendaries are all doing other jobs the entire time.

Next time I'll try seven peasants and loads of gear.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2008, 03:53:04 am »

You actually embark with the steel axes? I always went for the anvil and forged the stuff on the spot...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4