Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Builds - Your choice?  (Read 8211 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Builds - Your choice?
« on: September 29, 2008, 06:13:24 am »

I'm starting DF again since not playing for a while and am considering builds to use..... anybody got any useful ideas to add to a new fort (ballpark surroundings)?

I've been thinking of trying a multi skilled workforce, Usually i have a woodcutter/carpenter a mason/miner and a butcher/hunter/marksdwarf. For items i've been using little strategy so far, mass plump seeds, no anvil, mass drinks and a crossbow...

Multi skilled workforce could be...
mason/miner/craftsdwarf(stone)
woodcut/carp/crafts(wood)
fisher/Fcleaner
grower/plant collecter/cook

what do you people have for beginning?

Refar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Builds - Your choice?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 08:15:13 am »

Mason and Carpenter are usually busy 100% of the time, so making them multiskilled does not gain you a lot.
Also these skills are easily trained due to a steady workload.

Fisher + Fishcleaner sounds too good to be true...
You will need to Micromanage the Dwarf all the time to make it work, as a Dwarf who has "Fishing" labour enabled will not do anything else. You will have to diable the Fishing all the time to make him Fishclean.
This plus the carp and everything... Most of the time i don't fish at all.
Just buy all the fish/turtles they bring from the caravans for the bones/shells.

I tend to take a:
1) Mechanic (Better traps) / Building Designer (The skill seem hard to increase, unless you do a lot of De-\Constructing for the very purpose of boosting it)
2) Cook / Brewer (for Happy Dwarves)
3) Grower (Sometimes make him Gatherer too, but i only use Gathering it in the very beginning, so most of the time i skip it)
4) Woodcutter / Axedwarf
+ 3 Peasants who will be my Miner, Boss and whatever is needed - these skills are very easy to train anyway.

The initial Carpentry / Masonry jobs are done by whoever is idle. Later Immigrants fill the vacations.
Today on Home Improvement TV:
Urist Twolefthand, Dabbling Mechanic, assembles a 10x Crossbow weapon trap.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 08:21:55 am »

i use what i found on the wiki when i first played dwarf fortress

1) miner/mason
2)miner/leader
3)woodcutter/carpenter (i keep this becaus ei don't use  wood much)
4)building designer/mechanic
5)brewer/cook
6/grower herbalist
7) weaponsmith/armorsmith

i works well enough, but of course i change it when i am embarking on an unusual area.
in my glacier fortress i didn't take the woodcutter, in my aboveground fort i didn't take the miner/leader and took instead a carpenter/leader and a woodcutter.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 09:00:56 am »

I take a very simple build.

Miner - doubles up as early military reserve
Mason.
Woodcutter/Carpenter - bulds 10 beds then alternates bins & barrels repeatedly.

Planter/Miller/Cook     - this dwarf is my early moneymaker.
Planter/Brewer          - and this dwarf is Mr happy-maker.

Hunter/Butcher/Tanner/Leatherworker  - mainly to get bags going early but is also early military reserve

Leader/Trader/Book-keeper/Mechanic/Building Designer.

This build is aimed solely at getting the basic fortress amenities in place and stockpile some trade goods (food!) before the first caravan or immigrant wave turns up.  Once the immigrant wave turns up then I start getting the glass & metal industries and lesser crafts underway and I create another Miner and maybe a Mason or three, depending on what marvels I want to build.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 09:03:29 am by Eater of Vermin »
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 09:16:55 am »

My first 7 are usually extremly multiskilled:
1) Miner (5) / Leader + Trader
2) Fisher (2) / Mason (4) +Architect(2) / Record Keeper(1) / Wood Cutter (1)
3)  Cook (5) /Brewer(3) / Butcher(1) / Fish Cleaner(1)
4)  Grower (5) / Thresher (2) / Brewer (2) / Miller (1)
5) Leather(4) / Tanner (1) / Clothier (3) / Weaver (1) / Carpenter (1)
6) Stonecrafting (5) / Bone Carving (2) / Carpenter (2) / Mechanic (1)
7) Gem Cutter (4) / Gem Setter (4) / Mason (1) / Mechanic (1)

2) is some kind of Jack of all trades. In the beginning he goes Fishing, But as soon as Masonry is needed (which usually doesn´t happen before the 2nd half of the first year) Fishing is switched off. His 1 point in wood cutting is only if need arises, which is rather seldom the case, considering the fact that I normally bring 100  towercap logs with me. ;)
Later he does the book keeping for my fortress.
5) is usually my first carpenter, as the carpenter workshop is much earlier completed than the shops for clothiers and leatherworkers.
7) Does double duty as mechanic and mason before my jewelers workshop is ready (and in the times, where no jewelry work has to be done)
3) is, as one can see, my chef de cuisine, with the main work in preparing meals and the second duty in brewing, while 4) does all the farming work

In the beginning every dwarf except 2) (who goes fishing) gets a pick and mining labor activated, so that the initial parts of the fortress get completed rather fast and in the summer I usually already have the farming/cuisine complex ready, as well as a first working area for my craftsdwarf.
The mining work (that even after the initial phase gets regularly activated if need arises)  means that these 6 dwarves usually have high levels in mining (often even legendary) as soon as economy kicks in (meaning that I can get them some nice rooms without fear of them getting evicted ;) )
As 2) also gets legendary levels in record keeping after a while, he as well doesn´t need to worry about evictions.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 09:20:01 am by Proteus »

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 09:25:08 am »

carpenter/woodcutter/axedwarf ( this guy generally gets a long kill list of kobold thieves, might as well be prepared.)
brewer/butcher/grower +unskilled labors: cook, plant gatherer (And still somehow ends up with idle time.  Never yet had a fortress starve or go thirsty though.)
mechanic/gem cutting +: building designer, animal trainer (I add gem setting if none show up in the first few immigrant waves.)
weapon smith/armor smith +: metal smith, metal crafter, mining (useful if I actually ever find some ore)
wood burner/furnace operator/bone carver :+ mining (keeps the marksdwarf loaded with bone bolts)
marksdwarf/armor user/shield user/ambusher :+ mining
mason/various social skills/stone detailer

Works fairly well on most maps if I bring an anvil, on those with aquifers and sand I usually swap out masonry with glassmaking. 
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 09:43:09 am »

My build focuses on having one military dwarf instantly available, since I usually play modded worlds with the possibility of seiges in the first few seasons. As long as that first seige doesn't have ranged, my one militia dwarf is usually enough.

Build:
5 Miner / 5 Mechanic
5 Miner / 4 Carpenter / 1 Architect
5 Miner / 4 Mason / 1 Architect
5 Grower / 3 Brewer / 2 Cook
5 X-bow / 1 Ambush / 1 Armor / 1 Shield / 1 Wrestle / 1 Hammer
( still working on that guy - I think dropping shield and hammer for more wrestle might be worth it)
1 Woodcutter / 3 Axedwarf / 3 Wrestle / 1 Organizer / 1 Appraiser / 1 Record Keeper
(deforest the map within a season or two then send him inside to become your trader, useful backup military)
3 Weaponsmith / 4 Armorsmith / 1 Blacksmith / 1 Metalcrafter / 1 Furnace Op
(this guy is my hauler and general use dwarf at first (non-workshop mason especially to assemble walls and guard towers), I just bring metal skills since those are expensive to train on site)

Out of my first immigration wave, I usually assign:
1) a second full time farmer
2) a thresher / weaver / clothesmaker / leatherworker
3) a crafter of some sort, often bone or wood to start churning bolts
4) a second x-bow dwarf, possibly multiple

I always bring a breeding pair of dogs and plenty of wood, along with the usual anvil, one axe, three picks, food and booze.

MajFan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 09:57:14 am »

Uh, can someone spell out the numbering system for me? I'm having trouble understanding it.

Nevertheless...

1) P. Miner, N. Organizer, N. Judge of Intent, N. Appraiser, N. Negotiator, N. Persuader
2) P. Woodcutter, P. Carpenter
3) P. Mason, P. Stone Crafter
4) P. Mechanic, P. Building Designer,
5) P. Armorer, S. Weaponsmith, N. ?
6) P. Grower, P. Herbalist
7) P. Cook, P. Brewer

1's INTENDED to be my primary trader (he often just ignores the depot >:(), while 5 gets a skill based on the biome. He has an extra level in armorer so that any fey moods hit him, he should make a legendary armor.

I'll sometimes trade the woodcutting for glassmaking or hunting, depending on the biome. I usually give stone crafting to my mason so that he can make crafts out of excess stone, and it makes it worth my while. I'm thinking about dumping that and giving him bone carving instead, though.

When that first immigration wave hits, I'll assign about 1/5th of the peasants to my military or hunting and then start focusing on crafting or making crossbows, sparing a couple guys to smelt ore and one guy to become bookkeeper.
Quote from: foop
Quote from: Bodkin
...and I've wasted everybody's time.  Not that anybody here would have been off curing cancer...

It's funny you should say that, but what I should be doing is rebuilding a database that maps experimentally determined carcinogenic mutations in protein kinases to known structures as part of a human-annotated cancer research resource.  What I'm actually doing is reading the DF forums.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 10:01:08 am »

Uh, can someone spell out the numbering system for me? I'm having trouble understanding it.

The numbers are just the points you assign to the skills on the embark screen,
i.e. 1 = Novice, 2 = Normal and so on (with the maximum of a single skill being 5 and the maximum total of skill levels for each dwarf at embark being 10)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 10:03:08 am by Proteus »

MajFan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 10:01:46 am »

Ah, okay. Thanks.
Quote from: foop
Quote from: Bodkin
...and I've wasted everybody's time.  Not that anybody here would have been off curing cancer...

It's funny you should say that, but what I should be doing is rebuilding a database that maps experimentally determined carcinogenic mutations in protein kinases to known structures as part of a human-annotated cancer research resource.  What I'm actually doing is reading the DF forums.

Nilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 10:17:33 am »

I find having 3 miners is like wiping your ass with silk.

miner/mason
miner/mechanic
miner/architect
woodchoppah/carpenter

Those four I always bring for normal fortresses, the other three are food professions which I tailor for the area, fisherdwarf and fish cleaner if there's lakes and it's calm or wilderness, otherwise farming. Possibly hunting if it's calm.
That kind of deductive reasoning is undorfy!
You know what you have to do.
RELEASE THE CATS!

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 10:24:27 am »

I usually specifically do not combine my woodcutter with my carpenter - it sucks to lose a highly skilled bed-maker (which greatly improves fortress morale) because he was out cutting when the gobbos showed up.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 11:16:59 am »

Always put as many points into single skills as you can for each dwarf, to maximize the experience the dwarf starts with. Starting with a Very Agile miner is a wonderful thing, for example. That in mind, these are the skills I usually use:

Miner / Weaponsmith
Miner / Blacksmith (3) / Appraiser (1) / Judge of Intent (1)
Mason / Engraver
Glassmaker / Gemsetter
Grower / Brewer
Cook / Mechanic
Armorsmith / Leatherworker

Aside from the second miner, each dwarf has 5 points in 1 skill and 5 points in another, enough to get two stat boosts at the start of the game. I don't bother with woodcutting (only speed improvements, not quality, and I don't always go to places with trees) or carpentry (I don't care about the quality of my bins and barrels). On the flip side, the leatherworker gets me quality early armor, which is vital for those evil zones. The glassmaker / gemsetter is because I like glass and these two skills both benefit from quality modifiers, while gemcutting, barring the occasional large gem, does not.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Refar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 01:54:52 pm »

Just out of curiosity - what are the initial miners good for ? Multiple of them on top... Since quite a lot of people take miners on embark, i might be missing something...
Am i missing some hidden benefit ?
Or do you feel like you don't get enought stone ?  ;)

Today on Home Improvement TV:
Urist Twolefthand, Dabbling Mechanic, assembles a 10x Crossbow weapon trap.

Khosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 02:19:48 pm »

Just out of curiosity - what are the initial miners good for ? Multiple of them on top... Since quite a lot of people take miners on embark, i might be missing something...
Am i missing some hidden benefit ?
Or do you feel like you don't get enought stone ?  ;)
Faster digging.  For certain start areas (evil areas or any area where there's dangerous wildlife) getting underground faster is critical to survival.

Even then, it's mostly convenience.  Technically, I don't need to spend points on growing, cooking, brewing, appraising, organizing, record keeping or any of the conversation skills too, but I do anyway because it helps make the early game easier.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4