Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Parallel Universes.  (Read 8681 times)

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Parallel Universes.
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 06:51:32 pm »

If I read correctly you all start different worlds then vote on the best after one year.
from then on everyone uses the same one.

Correct

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Justice City Recovery Center
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 06:53:44 pm »

If I read correctly you all start different worlds then vote on the best after one year.
from then on everyone uses the same one.
I will watch this thread with great interest, but will be unable to participate.

Yeah that makes sense, I don't see how I didn't catch that the first time.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 07:36:53 pm »

Remember everyone: Make your stories interesting, as people won't vote for a fort that doesn't interest them.

Snuffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 12:13:24 am »

Well, I just got done playing a year.  The site has magma, a river, flux and sand, and I pretty much just finished setting up the well and magma forges in terms of the fortress.  Unfortunately, I didn't keep track of dates as I was playing.  There were some interesting happenings, though, so I could make a different sort of narrative from the traditional journal.  Thoughts?

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 12:28:38 am »

Just describe where you left off with, your end population and fortress wealth and note off the high points in the most entertaining way you can and let er rip.  The whole point of this Community Game is to enjoy watching what different people do in similar circumstances with the same starting point, so the first round doesn't matter as much.  It simply gives us a variety of different choices to choose from.

I'm a little over a year into my fortress.  Haunted forest river location with magma, no flux and an aquifer.  Long story short:  Things haven't gone well so far.

However, remember to post your stories regardless if your fortress was destroyed or not.

Oh and first post updated with rules about the deadline.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 12:48:26 am by Qloos »

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 02:35:49 am »

Chapter 1

1st of Granite 201
I'm not sure how it happened, but it could not of happened at a worse location.  A spoke on our wagon wheel has broken, far from civilization, far from anywhere decent.  The plants are too withered to eat, the water too dangerous to fish and the land devoid of life.  Myself and my 6 companions begin unloading the wagon of our supplies while we repair this fangled wheel.

4th of Granite
Something stirs in the nearby magma. I've ordered one of our farmers to begin channeling a complete circle around the pipe to prevent anything that comes out from wandering far.  From the southern river undead creatures crawl from the river towards us.  Their progress is slow but steady.

5th of Granite
We've come with two crossbows and good dwarfs who know their use.  But first I need someone skilled with a knife to fletch some bolts.  These insidious creatures on this land will not take our dwarven group so easy.

7th of Granite
Behind my back the carpender has begun constructing beds, he should be making a wheel.  After I yelled at him for his foolishness I went back to the wagon to find that someone had dismantled it!  Apparently they all thought we were staying here permanently when I ordered the trench dug out.

8th of Granite
The Undead!  They're too close, where are the crossbows!  I thought I brought crossbows?!  The dog is being eaten alive by out there!  I looked on in horror as the undead thing ate our dogs limbs off one at a time, 3 of us ran up and chopped the thing to pieces like one chops a log into kindling.

10th of Granite
We all worry about whether torso dog will live through the ordeal it went through.  The other dog is naturally upset.

16th of Granite
I've posted a permanent guard around torso dog to make sure no foul creature eats the defenseless hero.

19th of Granite
Some. . . thing has just appeared out from the magma. A man, aflame. . . his skin was bright red.  If it wasn't for the partial trench we've dug out on our side of the magma pipe I fear he would of attacked and claimed torso dog.

27th of Granite
We've dug out a shelter to hide from the weather under, however torso dog can't be moved for fear of killing the poor animal.  I've designated a wall to be build on the south side of him along with his guard.  We've trained his companion about how to be more vicious and are now trying to train him to bite unfriendly creatures from his permanent sitting position.

9th of Slate
Training torso dog is impossible, but we are overjoyed that it looks like he will survive the ordeal.  However my next concern is sustaining a source of water.  Once the booze runs dry we'll have no means to replenish ourselves.  Me and the other miner have started channeling downward to reveal the clean aquifer water which I will inform everyone to drink from, lest they start drinking from the undead infested river to the south.

10th of Slate
The Zombie Pike made a move on torso dog, thankfully the marksdwarf was there to take it out and not off drinking like he usually is.  The man-of-fire continues to make appearances to watch our progress. . .

22nd of Slate
We were working on our trading depo when we heard a horrible scream from where the marks dwarf was stationed, apparently he had gone over to take a popshot with his crossbow at the fireman.  However once he got near, the flaming atrocity launched something of its own.  Thei- their all dead. . . torso dog. . . and the rest.  Its just me and the farmer. . . and the other dog. . . inside the underground shelter - waiting for the fire to pass.  I can't beleave this farmer is still alive!  He battled the fireman inside the raging wildfire that it had created and killed it with his bare hands, he's still nursing the burns to his hands.

24th of Slate
I forgot that our food and booze stockpiles were outside.  We've lost. . . everything.

28th of Slate
Can't stand it!  Being locked down here, I destroyed a bed just to keep my spirits up.

1st of Felsite
We may be completely insane, but they can't make ME starve down here, oh no!  Me and my faithful companion have dug down to the aquifer and we're going to fish it and drink it till help arrives in the fall.

6th of Felsite
Taking a peek to see if its worth risking going outside. . . if only to move the supplies that survived the fire inside so we may last longer.

11th of Felsite
The bastard farmer is showing me up, first he was flaunting himself for killing the fireman and now he's managed to catch a turtle to eat.  I don't get anything to eat, damn zombie sea lampry prevented me from going outside.  I don't even need to make it to the food, just to the crossbows and wood so I can make some bolts inside the fort. . .

12th of Felsite
Now the farmer thinks he can out mine me?! OUT EXCAVATE THE VERY MOUNTAIN AGAINST ME!?  I'll KILL HIM!

*journal continued from the point of vie of Sazir the Farmer*

12th of Felsite.
Kibble just attacked me!  Took a swing at my midrift with his pick and I ran for my life, stress can do that to a man. . . make em go looney, I aint looney.  I'm sane.  I'll survive.  As I was running Kibble then turned his rage on the trained dog, the dog ripped him to shreds. . . now what am I supposed to do?  As I was outside sulking my fate a zombie sea lampry let out a shrill from behind me.  I stood up to defend myself but the dog. . . the blessed creature attacked it from behind and tore out its throat.  I've decided to name the dog Melbilbothon. . . for saving my life twice in one day.

15th of Felsite.
I've claimed a turtle. . . it's my turtle.  The dog can't have it, I've stuck it in my room to prove it's mine so the dog doesn't get any smart ideas.

16th of Felsite
I'm eating my turtle, the dog wants it but he knows he won't get it.

20th of Felsite
For not eating my dinner I've begun letting the dog follow me wherever I go. . . to protect me.

1st of Hematite
I'm building some caskets for my dead friends. . . kibble doesn't get one.  He was mean to me.  I've claimed the entire shelter as my bedroom, its all mine.

6th of Hematite
Kibbles is starting to stink, he keeps smiling at me when I walk by.  He must be mocking me, I'll stick him in a casket to shut him up.

17th of Hematite
I hereby elect myself the new expedition leader. . . the fortress shall not fall under my watch!

27th of Hematite
Melbil's such a good dog to help me through these times, physically and emotionally.  But I think I have a grip on reality again.  First I need to give my companions a proper burial, then ill organize my storage space and practice with the bow so I may be able to defend myself.

13th of Malachite
All my friends have been given the burial they deserve. . . even kibble.  I've constructed a new trade depo, and I've changed my mind about training my bowmanship as first I need to produce trade goods to supply myself with food and liquor.

26th of Malachite
I hope the ground is still too burnt for another wildfire. . . a fireimp was watching me from the magma pit while I chopped wood for crafts to sell.  I feel secure with Melbil by my side.

8th of Galena
Melbils saved my life again today.  Good dog killed a zombie fish before I knew it was there.

14th of Limestone
Autumn has arrived, and I was in such a fret worrying over my situation that I've hardly got much done.  The most I can trade is some damaged empty barrels and Kibbles old clothing.

21st of Limestone
The liason walked up to Sazir.
"Hello I am your liason from the mouta- the hell happened?  We expected you months ago!
"Er- a spoke on our wagon wheel bro-"
"That was MONTHS ago!  Where is everyone else!"
Morbid and embarrassed I point at the graves.
Silence
"I- I see."
"Look, I'd really love to go back to the mountainhome with you guys, I don't want to hang around here.  There are things here, evil things!"
"Weeeell about that. . . you see your boss didn't own the wago-"
"SO WHAT?!  Do you have no heart!  Spare me from this wasteland!  I'm begging you!"
"No way!  I'd lose my job!  Look-listen, you simply need to pay off the wagon and THEN you can come with us."
"How much?!"
"1 500 000"
Sazirs stood, mouth agape.
"And if I don't pay and try to leave to the nearest human town?"
"Then we'll turn the 1 500 000 into a bounty for your head.  Oh and there'll be interest for each year you don't pay."
"of course" Sazir glared.
"But if you make a modest yearly payment. . . I'm sure you could pay it off in roughly 30 years or so."
"Listen! I've heard enough you heartless bastard.  Show me your goods and lets get some trading happening then hit the road.  I aint got all day."

22nd of Limestone
I've ordered stone: and lots of it for next years shipment.  I need the material for mechanisms if I'm going to puncture the aquifer and reach the jewels beneath to escape this haunted prison.  The greedy bastards have put a 107% price increase on the gabro!  Gabro! Unbelievable!  However they've promised to pay highly for shields and bucklers next year: Something I can actually make out of the surplus of wood in the area.  I've finished the trade by selling a bunch of clothing crossbows and barrels in exchange for booze food and seeds for planting.  I wanted a mule but they kept demanding a steel axe, I adamantly refused.  I need the replacement in case I lose the other one.

26th of Sandstone
I've finished moving all the supplies inside, for the rest of fall and all of winter I'll make myself some bone armor and a wooden shield and make wooden goods to sell to the elfs come spring.

27th of Sandstone
Migrants! eight of them!  They must be outcasts to come live here, but I'll welcome anyone as living alone is a very depressing way to live.

6th of Timber
The labor goes so much faster with help around.  I may pay off that wagon yet!  The farm kitchen and still area are almost finished, the archery targets have been built and wood is being hauled inside for use.

13th of Timber
I'm confident enough to allow outdoor work, the trench is being continued to give us a proper defense and the wood stockpile is now back outside where it belongs.

17th of Timber
My mouth waters from the aromas that drift from the kitchen, it'll be good to eat something edible for a change of pace.

5th of Moonstone
What has that fool done?  He's channeled the moat straight through the underground fortress,  thank the gods it's a dry moat.  I've demanded he patch the hole in the roof in my bedroom and redo the moat properly this time!

3rd of Opal
The monument to torso dog has been completed, although we can't find the animals remains the casket will remain there for all time; symbolizing his sacrifice for us all.

6th of Opal
That fools mistake from last month has given me a genius idea.  We've begun work on a fire break, (a constructed floor that won't burn.)  At the entry points of our fort, thus a wildfire won't spread over top of our defensive position if another starts.  Furthermore, if we were to get our hands on a firesafe magma pump and link it to a mechanism. . . and it were able to start a wildfire at will?  Not even the undead will be able to stop such a trap.

15th of Opal
Well shoot. . . the only trade goods I can make for the elfs will be cooked goods. . . and those are in short supply.  To hell with the elfs.

17th of Opal
A zombie fire imp is delaying the completion of my Monument to Torso Dog!!! This is an outrage!

25th of Opal
A zombie gar crawled up towards the front entrance this morning, the marksdwarfs scrambled from their wrestling match and shot it multiple times but it just kept coming.  Finally at the marksdwarfs feet it fell unmoving.  A close call for the soldier and a wakeup call that all is not well at this fort.

22nd of Obsidian
The monument is complete.  This horrible year is almost over.

24th of Obsidian
Began digging out a furniture storage room.

1st of Granite.
Complete

Yeah, the grounds a little crisp still.

Population 9
Total Created Wealth: 4168
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 03:30:11 pm by Qloos »

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Justice City Recovery Center
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 02:55:59 am »

The Mean Beak is an evil mountain who resents the presence of any dwarves upon her. They say the boiling heat around her is a manifestation of her seething hatred of dwarves. In addition to skeletal goats and zombie hoary marmots and Anan Bouldermine knows what other undead varmints, vampire woodchucks and such, the place is also crawling with goblins. Because, as much as the Mean Beak hates Dwarves, she loves goblins. The land I am to settle is itself is situated between two goblin fortresses.

That's right, as of today I am of the landed nobility. I am also doomed to an ugly death and a paupers grave. It seems my recent knighthood could not have come at a worse time. The King, ever the scholar of history, has discovered that the mountain has always been disputed between our civilization the Bronze Irons, and our ancient enemies the Labour of Wondering. Undaunted by the fact that the Labour of Wondering was wiped out by Elves over 400 years ago and the fact that there was a very good reason neither civilization settled the region to cement their claim, the King has decided to seek some of the glory of his ancestors and settle the blasted place. And guess who just happened to be waiting for a fiefdom to become available?

To form my team of settlers, I was given my pick of the filthy, destitute, well-drinkers lurching around the halls of Mountainhome stone sober scaring children. I was able to find 7 who still had all their original limbs and whose inbreeding didn't seem too pronounced. One of them robbed me and disappeared into the night, leaving 6. That makes 7 including myself, seven dwarves. A lot of our legends start that way. A lot of our legends also end in bloody dismemberment. When they asked me for the name of this crude assembly, I jestingly suggested it was "The Furnace of Evisceration". Apparently they don't have much of a sense of humour over at the bookkeeping deparment. On the other hand, it seems the department of fiefdoms has quite a grim one as the name they have given our fortress is "Fatalfenced". If I did not know the nobility for the incompetent baffoons that they are, I might suspect that this entire arrangement is an elaborate plot to kill me. But mark my words I will turn this operation into a profitable one. The Gods give me lemons and I shall make lemon wine.

1st of Granite

The spot marked on our map as ideal for a fortress turned out to be the peak of a lonely hill. I decided to modify the original plan slightly. Eventually I found a suitable spot nearby.

The first thing I did was have the mud-caked commoners who had enough fingers to swing a pick clear out a small courtyard from the side of the mountain, before we begin carving out a living area. Everyone else will need to bring the food closer to the new courtyard, as the wagon seems stuck up on the hill. The first order of business will be getting us into some measure of comfort, and myself away from the various foul gases and fluids excreted by the lower classes.

So far all the mountain has sent against us is the oppressive heat of her wrath. The only ponds I've seen are dry even in the early spring. I will not let the relative peace cause me to forget the legends our ancestors told of this place, there's more going on here than the heat.

11th of Granite

The lazy proles are taking much longer than expected to dig out a simple courtyard, even with my help. Their sleeping quaters are being assigned a much lower priority.

13th of Granite

It has begun to rain. The pond near our wagon is filling up slightly. I welcome the good omen.

16th of Granite

We have begin to dig out the fortress proper. Nothing fancy yet, just the essentials: An office for myself, a simple set of quarters for myself, and liquor storage.

17th of Granite

Snuffs has been lurching around the wagon, drunk thank Aban, but contributing nothing. I told him to start smoothing stone. Who knows, maybe he'll get decently good at it some day.

26th of Granite

I set up some make-shift workshops outside. Hopefully they will be moved inside before too long, as I don't like tempting the mountain.

9th of Slate

Neither my quarters no my office have been dug out yet. If it weren't for my cats I think I would explode with rage.

20th of Slate

The bare bones of a fortress have finally been carved out. I've begun construction of a wall and some servants quarters for the lower classes. With any luck the wall will be finished before the undead or Aban forbid the goblins arrive.

20th of Felsite.

The wall comes along nicely. I have decided to have my bed studded in what few baubles we've been able to find so far. The lower classes will have beds soon, and they need to be reminded of the difference between us.

27th of Felsite

The wall is completed, and the gems for my bed are being cut. I'll make a fortress out of this hovel of villains yet.

8th of Hematite

The summer heat is sweltering. The pond of good omen long since dried up again. The food must be moved inside or it'll cook in it's barrels. The heat makes the lazy slods even more sluggish, progress on a pantry will be slow.

21st of Hematite

The lazy berks are actually starting to pull their own weight under my expert leadership. The pantry and the boozery are both finished, and all food is being moved in-doors. My room will be completed any day now.

25th of Hematite

A kobold thief got into our courtyard and surprised Linthar as he was drinking. I yelled to him to either kill the vermin or die a warrior's death trying.

6th of Malachite

A season and a  half and the worst we've seen is a little heat and a stinking rat-thief. Perhaps the legends of his mountain were merely children's stories.

15th of Malachite

The stone in my room is finished being smoothed. As you can see it's still a bit primitive, but it's getting there. I want at least a moment of comfort before this mountain swallows me up.

27th of Malachite

After ordering the peons to move the workshops inside, Echo managed to build the workshop is such a way that it trapped him inside the work station. I am considering whether to let him live or not.

27th of Malachite - Second Entry

I decided to let him live. Encrusting things with gems is an invaluable skill.

2nd of Galena

The fortress attracted no mirgrants this season. Good, the place couldn't stand the stink of that many more peasents. We don't have room for more of the great unwashed.

6th of Galena

So this Snuffs idiot comes up to me and tells me he's not a farmer anymore, but an engraver. I had no idea he fancied himself a farmer up until this point, I've never seen him farm, but I didn't feel like pressing the issue. Actually now that I think of it, I've never seen him engrave either. He just smooths stone.

Not that I care. He can call himself the Emperor of the Sun if it means he'll get back to work.

12th of Galena

Lately I've been spending all of my time in my room. It's preferable to mingling with the dirty peasents. Every day I fear that in the absence of civilized company I will become like them. Opulance is all that seperates us from the animals, and I am trapped in a fortress filled with filthy animals. My cats are more civilized.

21st of Galena

The peasentry has begun fashioning armor out of garbage. I am pretending I don't notice.

27th of Galena

My cats had kittens! It's about time, it's been a while since I had a decent cat stew. A butchery is set up immediately.

10th of Limestone

The trade caravan from Mountainhome has arrived. This is great news, as Linthar has been pumping out exactly the type of tacky crap thats so popular with the nobility there. We should be able to cheat the traders out of some useful items in exchange for limestone crap.

26th of Limestone

As I expected, they're still paying top dollar for worthless trinkets in the old Mountainhome. I was able to get gold, gems, booze and some food for the winter. I was unable to purchase an anvil, as the only ones they had were steel and I'm no sucker. Metalcrafting can wait, there's less profit in it.

27th of Sandstone

I ordered armor made from the hide of a butchered horse. If the peasents insist on fashioning crude armor out of refuse they should at least do it the dignified way.

11th of Timber

The fortress is a mess, but at least now a door seperates my room from the filth of the common areas.

20th of Timber

One of the Peons, TJ, has made a primitive idol out of the skull of the kobold Linthar slew. Very impressive. Before you know it they'll have advanced to sun worship.

2nd of Moonstone

I just watched a dwarf bring a mushroom to the kitchen for cooking, another dwarf remove the mushroom and place it into a barrel, and then a third take the barrel and put it back in the pantry with the other food. And they wonder why I spend most of my time in my room.

19th of Moonstone

All the stone in the entryhall has been smoothed. The fortress has long way to go, but still it has come a long way. Like dirt that set reasonable goals and was able to become mud.

23rd of Moonstone

Three kobolds attacked at once, but my cats were able to scare them off. They breed brave warriors indeed those kobolds.

1st of Opal

My office is finished. It will do for now.

9th of Opal

I knew the peace wouldn't last. Dark Gnomes. They're everywhere. Running around scaring the peasents. I really don't know what to do about it yet, we'll see how much of a nuisance they make themselves.

14th of Opal

I had Haven and Linthar throw on the junk armor that's lying around and, Haven with his axe and Linthar the Kobold's knife, were sent to skirmish with the dark gnomes. They had to chase one all over the map, but eventually Linthar caught up and disemboweled the subdwarven creature.

I decided it was too much work trying to kill the little buggers. Haven has had to chase a few away since, but otherwise they've been low priority.

6th of Obsidian

I'm having enough cabinets made for the commonfolk. I'm hoping to teach them enough about dignity and shame that they will stop turning the fortress into a giant stone garbage heap. This lesson will start with clothing storage.

14th of Obsidian

The experiment was a failure. The commoners are now degenerate, foul-smelling, inbred, mouthbreathers who own cabinets. No amount of furnature can erase what nature has written on these dwarves in grime and failure.

1st of Granite

I don't think I did too bad a job for a first year all things considered. Next year we will need to start a massive fortress-wide beautification project. We'll also need some cage traps to catch some of those dark gnomes. I'm going to determine which of the peasents is the smelliest and have them fight in gladiatorial combat.

Fortress Population: 7
Wealth: Will look up tomorrow. Now sleep. Sleepnow.

Ugh. I chose the scariest looking place I could find and the worst it could throw at me was dark gnomes. I find it difficult to fear any variety of gnome, be they garden or dark.

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 11:25:54 am »

This thread is going to get to be gigantic if we're looking at 7 different fortress journals / turn.

Perhaps judicious use of the spoiler-maker is in order, with some sort of executive summary for the always-visible part of posts?
"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 07:45:13 pm »

Good call SnuggleBear

Starting round 2:  Put spoiler tags on your story.  For the Sunday Vote I'll summarize the stories into 3 or less sentences per person to recap what everyones voting for and to refresh your memories.  If you want to put your own 3 sentence story summary foot note on your post, feel free to do so and I'll use that instead.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 10:11:26 am »

(Gonna have to drop out, it seems... More hardware failures)

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 12:13:32 pm »

No problem, thanks for giving it a shot and good luck with your technical difficulties.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 12:52:15 pm »

Maybe I'll try this... Muhuwhahaha. I'll start right away.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 01:10:04 pm »

Remember all: You need to get this fortress in my today or tomorrow.  Webadict can rush and get his in or he can just start next round. 

EchoP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Parallel Universes
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 10:03:58 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=586
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3633-syrupcrystal

I was running low on time, so I just did the fortress, no story. Sorry about that.

Fortress Population: 7
Fortress Wealth: 36, 900

I spent most of the year establishing the fortress, and then winter turning all my food into lavish roasts and smoothing stone.  :)

The fort has a magma pipe (not discovered), HFS and lots of aluminium.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 06:14:16 pm by EchoP »

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2008, 10:36:16 am »

The chronicles of Nobletowns

1st of Granite 301:  The nobility are idiots. That is the only explanation I can think of for why they decided to establish a fortress here. In the middle of a haunted jungle teaming with undead. Such as the eight skeletal mandrills that were a mere 10 feet from us when our wagon broke down.

Luckily we were not entirely defenseless. Four war dogs and one axe wielding carpenter was enough to save the day. Unfortunately we now have only one badly injured war dog, and one carpenter with an injured spine. And skeletal elephants have been sighted. We’re doomed. All that’s left is to try and dig out something before we die.

9th of Slate: The barebones of a fort have been built. We have workshops, bedrooms, and farms. I’ve even started keeping records of our supplies. The skeletal elephants are waiting outside, biding their time. They haven’t approached yet, but their threat is ever present we’re doomed.

1st of Hematite: Does no one have their priorities straight here. When I say move the food into the nice room that was just dug out, I mean move it, not wait until we have rotten turtles lying around.

15th of Hematite: Surprisingly we’re still alive. This gives me an opportunity to make use of the one redeeming feature of this accursed place, a magma vent. I’ve drawn up plans for a foundry.

18thof Hematite: Kobolds. We’re in the middle of a jungle of a jungle with undead elephants that exist solely to destroy all living beings and we get kobolds. We don’t even have anything worth stealing and we get kobolds. And not just one kobold, three at once. They only get a mere ten feet, before a miner killed two of them, but they shouldn’t be here at all.

14th of Malachite: Is everyone here an idiot. When I say, we’re running low on seeds, why don’t you go brew a few of these plump helmets, I mean brew a few, not brew every plump helmet we have. We have seeds, but we have next to no food. We’re really doomed.

22nd of Galena: The food situation has worsened. All the seeds have been planted, but we’ve yet to gain a substantial harvest. If this goes on much longer we may have to start cooking beer of all things. On the plus side I’ve just eaten in the new dining room, so I’m feeling very happy.

12th Limestone:  The caravan has arrived and with them they brought all important food and seeds. With a few of the crafts I have been busy carving I have ended both shortages we were facing. The talk with the outpost liaison was less encouraging. I tried to convince him that this fortress was a fools venture, but he would not listen. It seems I will be stuck here until I die.

7th of Sandstone: It is done. The final channel has been dug, and the magma has begun to flow. In a few months the metalwork’s will be operational.

21st Sandstone: The caravan has left safely. Or at least it’s left my sight safely; it still has miles of accursed jungle to pass through. Hopefully everyone except the outpost liaison will arrive safely.

16th Moonstone: Over the course of the last month, I have overseen the construction of the first above ground fortifications. It’s just a meager wall, but it provides safe access to a pond, a lifesaver if anyone gets injured.

25th: Moonstone: With the year coming to a close, and death still lurking over my shoulder, I took the time to continue a long held tradition among overseers, building myself a nice tomb. If I’m likely I might not even have to use it.

15th Opal: I’ve been here for almost a full year, and I’ve come to realize that this journal is hardly going to be a lasting legacy. With this in mind I’ve started construction on a hall of history. Each year a new room will be carved out of the depths of the earth, and the most talented engravers the fort can find, will record our history for all to see.

Population 7
Wealth 33007

OOC: I tried to pick a dangerous location, but except for the scariest first five minutes of my Dwarf fortress career, it's been disapointingly tame. There are dangerous undead but they just don't do anything.

The only important detail that's not in the story, is that I've already found more iron then I could possibly know what to do with. There's also sand, but no flux.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5