Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32

Author Topic: Nostalgia Fort, Using Old 2d Version [23_130_23a]  (Read 49280 times)

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia Fort, Using Old 2d Version [23_130_23a]
« Reply #270 on: January 26, 2009, 10:02:55 pm »

That's not how it works at all.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 26, 2009, 10:23:03 pm »

Yeah, you didn't need to do that at all. All you had to do was copy over the region folder into your save folder.

Kiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 26, 2009, 10:27:42 pm »

Hello! It just so happens I've started playing Dwarf Fortress again several weeks ago and I'm from the age of the 2d mountainhome. I'd love to join in this Community fortress, sign me up!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:30:01 pm by Kiri »
GENERATION -22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

"Someone normal walks down the streets of Seattle and passes the train station, when with a sudden roar a mob appears, bursting out the station doors, crying "Hail Armok! Hail Today One! Hail Dwarf Fortress!" And the city of Seattle shall know true fear. " -PTTG?

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 27, 2009, 06:22:53 am »

Okay.  I'll just post an update for my community fort and then I'll get started on that.

Edit:  Crap, not again.  Something's wrong.  I generated the new world and copied the old save over that, but the only options when I open it are "start playing" "create new world" and "quit."

Download 23.130.23a.  Copy the contents of the rar file (probably) of the save into the 'save' directory underneath the Dwarf Fortress directory.  If the save directory doesn't exist, make one named 'save' and do the same thing.

Then it should work.

Kiri:  Ok, added you!  Your turn will be up in, at most, two weeks.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 27, 2009, 05:11:43 pm »

That's exactly what I did my first turn of this fort, and that didn't work.  Some one told me to generate a new world and paste over it, and that worked.  The game kept quitting on me that time, though.  This time I try the same thing and no dice.  I am using 23a.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 27, 2009, 05:39:30 pm »

Try a fresh install.

If that doesn't work i'll re-upload.

Incidently, i only murdered MOST of the miners. also, the tomb vault system is kinda screwed up, i accidently linked the doors to the wrong lever, you might need to do a full rip-and-replace if having the doors linked to both levers doesn't work out.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 06:52:34 pm by (name here) »
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #276 on: January 28, 2009, 07:42:21 pm »

I'm up for annother year.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 28, 2009, 08:51:08 pm »

I'm afraid the fresh install did not work.  But I did notice the "region1.whtver" file outside of the region folder was missing.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 28, 2009, 09:08:50 pm »

Yeah, the old versions used a different file system.  Saves include both a folder, and an indexing file.  You need both.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 29, 2009, 05:49:55 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=814

That might or might not work, somthing went a bit screwy during the uploading and i don't know how well it worked out.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 29, 2009, 09:41:16 pm »

AAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CURSE YOU 2D DWARF FORTRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It didn't work; only option was create new world now (well, quit was there too).  Oh well.  :(
Just so I remember

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 30, 2009, 06:50:26 am »

AAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CURSE YOU 2D DWARF FORTRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It didn't work; only option was create new world now (well, quit was there too).  Oh well.  :(

Make SURE you are using the right link for version download.  There are two '23a' versions right next to each other.

The second upload of the save (just above here) works fine. 

download from http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_23_130_23a.zip
Extract somewhere.
Create a 'save' folder in the 'data' folder.
Extra region file and folder from the save into the 'save' folder.
run game.

I think you've been using the wrong version.  Check the entire version number.  If it still doesn't work, I guess we'll go to the next person.

Edit:  The reason I'm posting this is that I just tested this with that exact procedure.  It works on my machine, and I want you to be able to take your turn.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 30, 2009, 04:57:17 pm »

HUZZAH!

-DIARY OF LEGOLORD, DATE UNKNOWN-

Is this thing on?  Good.  After my first two attempts at time travel failed due to the FDI discovering my time machine in the future, pulling me back to my time, I finally succeeded in remaining in the past by bringing the time machine with me.  Power should not be a concern; magma exists in this location.  I now move to build the great monuments of Powerwork, to ensure that the future I remember remains intact; I want to rule the world, not destroy it with a paradox-induced headache.

I might not be able to get through a whole year by sunday, but I'll try for at least half.  Is that alright?
Just so I remember

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 30, 2009, 11:13:23 pm »

Dude, you had problems starting.  Take an extra week; this is your second or third attempt as I recall.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 30, 2009, 11:17:54 pm »

Erm . . . Looks like I spoke too soon.  It would appear that the year of the save I got was 1054.  There's barely even the beginning of the road, let alone the FTW lever.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32