Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32

Author Topic: Nostalgia Fort, Using Old 2d Version [23_130_23a]  (Read 49223 times)

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia Fort, Using Old 2d Version [23_130_23a]
« Reply #180 on: November 24, 2008, 11:51:14 am »

Sorry for missing my turn, DNS issues.

Would like to get back on the list if that's at all possible.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 24, 2008, 09:52:05 pm »

I've added the folks that asked to be.

My turn will likely take till at least saturday.  I've got an 8-5 job that eats time, but since I'm American I have Thursday and Friday off for Thanksgiving.  I'll have time around then.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 25, 2008, 04:20:15 pm »

I've added the folks that asked to be.

My turn will likely take till at least saturday.  I've got an 8-5 job that eats time, but since I'm American I have Thursday and Friday off for Thanksgiving.  I'll have time around then.
Yay America!
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 26, 2008, 06:41:34 am »

Ok, I'm through summer and into fall.  I'm not taking a pile of screenshots like I normally do; because there just isn't that much interesting stuff happening.  A couple kobolds, a cave in or two since I didn't remember about them, that sort of thing.

Lava gun works now, but I haven't had cause to use it.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 26, 2008, 11:47:16 am »

Is that "works" as in is all set up and ready to fire, come what may, or have you managed to block up all the fortifications and scorch the landscape already (without destroying the fort in the process, like I almost managed)?

Regardless, I think that's an excellent achievement.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 26, 2008, 05:32:32 pm »

Is that "works" as in is all set up and ready to fire, come what may, or have you managed to block up all the fortifications and scorch the landscape already (without destroying the fort in the process, like I almost managed)?

Regardless, I think that's an excellent achievement.

I backed up the save and fired it successfully.

I dug channels in front of the front door fortifications.  This stops the magma, but we can still fire outwards in the case that we need to.  I can't see us really needing to use the cannon, but it works if we do.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 29, 2008, 12:31:11 pm »

So, did you find the deactivation lever?
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 29, 2008, 03:03:59 pm »

Overall, a pretty standard year.  I didn't do much, because the fort is pretty sufficient at this point.  Writeup is sorta dry just because I'm sort of short on creativity lately.  Anyway, here be the report:

1st Granite, 1057:  Made it to my father's previous posting.  Unfortunately, I'm told he's "become one with the mountain" recently.  Out of respect for the dead and possibly guilt, the current leader has abdicated the overseer position to me.  I've got a year to show my family's worth as rulers.

3rd Granite:  Hm, it turns out that the lever to flood the farming area floods both of them.  The miner digging a bypass to fix the magma release nearly drowned.  Nonetheless, a nobleman pulled the lever quickly enough to save him.  No problems.

12th Granite:  A small number of kobolds have targeted our fortress.  They haven't made it through the front door; they were spotted outside.  A guard tore one to pieces just inside the entrance.

14th Granite: A second kobold was chased to the hill on the edge of our lands by a pair of dogs, then torn to pieces.

17th Granite: Elves have arrived for trade.  I've ordered a few trinkets moved to the depot, but I'm not too worried about it.

20th Granite:  Eugh.  Elves are angry due to my disregard for the suffering of trees.  I guess we'll have to do without all the rope reed cloth.  Meh.

5th Slate:  I've ordered channels dug in front of the fortifications in the front of the fort.  Hopefully that will keep the magma out of the storerooms if we ever finish/use this death weapon.

10th Slate:  A chef ran up to me today to tell me that he'd finished his order of 30 lavish meals.  I thanked him for his work, but I had no idea he was supposed to make them.  I ordered another 30 anyway.  We may as well eat well.

12th Slate:  The rock aqueduct is ferrying the magma across the cave river well.  The channels are flooded.  In a pinch, we could fire off the weapon once we get the lever hooked up to the floodgates.  Currently, that would flood our stockpiles and entire fortress with magma.

18th Slate: Asteth Isdtorish, a simple farmer, has become possessed.  I do hope he produces something worthwhile.  He has claimed a craftsdwarf's shop, so I don't predict anything practical.

(Here I tested the now-complete magma gun, after backing up the save.  Works fine.  It does however burn piles of stuff we have outside.  Still though, no problems!  We have infinite siege defense!  Notably, it does take the better part of a month to cover the whole map.)

20th Slate:  I noticed today that the large stockpile space I'm digging out will likely collapse.  I've designated a few stone pillars to be left, and ordered a couple of supports constructed.

28th Slate:  A deep rumbling from the cavern.  I'm not looking forwards to the eventual cave in.  I'm looking for weak areas. Anyway, the farmer has begun some construction, I'm anxiously awaiting the results.

3rd Felsite:  Well, part of the stockpile collapsed, but no one was injured.  No problems.

5th Felsite:  The farmer finished his silly granite idol.  It's a stunning bit of work, but not useful in any real way.  It does have little sculptures of goblins killing dwarves, and dwarves begging for death.  I somehow suspect that this is not an idol to a 'good' god.

8th Felsite:  A pack of immigrants has arrived; the group that I was supposed to arrive with.  Along with the group of twenty-three were three important dwarves:  A bookkeeper, a broker, and a captain of the guard.  Of course, as soon as the bookkeeper arrived, he mandated coin production.  Anyway, group composition follows:

Nobles: 2
Guard: 1
Miners: 3
Carpenter: 1
Peasants: 5
Craftsdwarf: 1
Metalsmiths: 3
Marksdwarf: 1
Jeweler: 2
Hammerdwarf: 2
Farmer: 2

I've slightly rearranged the military to consolidate the squads.

15th Felsite:  Another collapse in the new stockpile.  No casualties.

15th Hematite:  A kobold has been spotted, but another one made off with some goblin plate mail.  A dog was chasing the kobold that had been spotted, and the human caravan arrived ahead of them.  I'm not sure we'll ever find all the parts of the poor bugger.

18th Hematite:  The humans spotted a kobold dragging away a platinum idol.  I don't know how he got to it, but it's not going anywhere now.

9th Malachite:  I traded a few boxes of crafts for piles of meat from the humans.  I gave them a bit more than what was required: maybe that will help their next caravan have more booze.

21st Malachite:  I've told people to stop dragging wood to the new stockpile.  They've done nothing but that for the last month.  Why do we have so many trees rotting in fields?

22nd Malachite:  I swear I will kill this bookkeeper if he continues to ask more five new coins every day.

4th Galena:  More migrants!  A smaller group this time: a marksdwarf, a pair of sworddwarves, an axedwarf, a couple peasants, a crafter, and a trapper.  Nothing terribly useful or interesting, though our previously fairly anemic military is now much more powerful.  On the topic of military, I've been advised by my captain of the guard to stop mining out a hallway past the magma.  I've taken the advice after hearing his stories.

1st Limestone:  A metalsmith has taken an aspect of one fey!  Hopefully he will find what he needs.

2nd Limestone:  Sadly, the metalsmith is in his forge, screaming for a dozen materials.  Wood, gems, rough gems, ore, more wood, bones, etc.  I'm not sure how to help the fellow.

13th Limestone:  A trapper marksdwarf spotted a pair of kobolds out in the wilderness.  Suffice it to say, they both caught a couple bolts.  They still made it away, though they were bleeding profusely.  Another kobold died to the dogs in front of the fort.

14th Limestone:  A child, on his way to a party, has been abducted by a goblin snatcher.  However, as one of the sworddwarf migrants was also attending the party, the most notable result of the conflict is that our dining room is dripping with gore.

16th Limestone:  Caravan arrived from the mountainhomes.

20th Limestone:  I've begun digging an exploratory pattern to search for minerals that the possessed metalsmith might use; but no luck yet.

24th Limestone:  Unfortunately, our brethren from the mountainhomes did not bring wagons.  We've traded some leftover goblin equipment for a few piles of meat.

19th Sandstone: Dwarven Caravan left.  I do hope they bring more goods next time.  Sadly, our metalsmith has gone mad, and now wanders the floors talking to himself.  I'm still allowing the mining to go on, as it doesn't hurt anything.

1st Moonstone: It's winter, and the mud for farming has dried.  We have plenty of food, so far as I can tell.  I'm not worried.

10th Moonstone:  A peasant has become possessed.  I don't anticipate anything worthwhile.

7th Opal:  The peasant just sits in the craftsdwarf shop, asking for a half-dozen items, all of which we have, excepting "a particular ore", on which he refuses to elaborate.

1st Obsidian: The peasant went mad.  I can't say I'm surprised.  It's still a pity.

1st Granite:  My year as leader is over.  I plan to fade into the background here, just leading my crossbow squad.  To future leaders: The lever to control the lava gun is the one directly south-east of the entrance, between the fortification/stockpile and the refuse stockpile.  Make sure you close the door before you fire it.

A few pictures at the end, to show current state of the place:

Lava gun lever be here:

And a full map o' the fort:

Save is here:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=694

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 29, 2008, 04:36:41 pm »

Starting right now, probably won't do a write up or anything fancy like that.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 29, 2008, 06:10:17 pm »

Oh boy, this fortress looks like it was designed by a bunch of newbies.

Journal of Mister Goldnail, Overseer (Aka Hammerer) and Grand leader of Powerwork for the years 1058 to 1059

First entry, Undated
For a dwarf just arriving, this place seems like a happy productive group of slackers. It works, but mostly for luxury and not for Dwarven prosperity. I've cut off the production of gold, silver, and any other luxury metals. No more pandering to the nobles. I've also decided to starve the bookkeeper to death in his room. He wants too much. I'll hopefully get a better one.

Second entry, Undated
The farms here are pathetic, barely bigger than my wife's garden in her home. No wonder the stocks are so bare. I've ordered a major expansion to the farming in the north quarter of the river. Some fool decided to block off a perfectly healthy area without a second look. I'm making it wider to support wild herbs and trees. There will also be a large, dwarf controlled, farm north of it.

Third entry, Undated
Repositioned most/all the magma works. Have five smelters producing steel, iron, pig iron, copper and coal bars. Working on making a second steel anvil to speed up weapon and armor production. We've also decided to kill off all animals of a species if they are not female, leaving only one male for breeding. Meat for real dwarves.

Fourth Entry, Undated
Being a 'Hammerer' I am forced to listen to all the bitching and moaning of the upper class. Those weak backs have no idea the strain they put on the workers with their stupid demands. I am forced, though, by law to beat the hell out of any dissenter. Hey, it happens to everyone. Bookkeeper is still crying from inside his room. He ought to just kill himself and get it over with.
----------------------------------------------
All Ive got for now, about three months worth
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 29, 2008, 09:34:46 pm »

Some fool decided to block off a perfectly healthy area without a second look. I'm making it wider to support wild herbs and trees.

Actually, i decided to block off said area on accout of the tendancy for dwarves to be swept away when the cave river flooded the area.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 01, 2008, 10:50:20 am »

I hope this isn't dead.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 01, 2008, 12:00:11 pm »

I hope this isn't dead.

Well, it's only been two days since the last post.  I'd say it's fine.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 01, 2008, 06:21:50 pm »

I havent had time in the last few days.

Honestly, my DF playing has dropped off significantly in the past few months. I'll soldier through this one. I might not follow up with my narrative, though.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 06, 2008, 09:22:44 am »

Torak, you've got till Sunday.  Are you capable of making it?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32