Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32

Author Topic: Nostalgia Fort, Using Old 2d Version [23_130_23a]  (Read 49210 times)

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia Fort, Using Old 2d Version [23_130_23a]
« Reply #165 on: November 21, 2008, 07:45:57 am »

Hm, guess the best thing would be to create another lever room, after forbidding the door to the current one so that no one else opens it.

Yay 2d!

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2008, 01:54:45 pm »

I'm pretty sure the problem was the aqueduct wasnt made of magma safe materials (steel) and it broke when the magma reached it.

Aqueducts over the magma river have to be steel. Aqueducts carrying magma elsewhere can be iron or stone. (never played it myself, this is info from the old wiki)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2008, 11:45:19 pm »

Aqueducts over the magma river have to be steel. Aqueducts carrying magma elsewhere can be iron or stone. (never played it myself, this is info from the old wiki)

That's not true as I remember. If magma reached the non-steel aqueduct it wuold blow apart, making a permanent steam bath until you cut off the magma.

It's happened to me.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 22, 2008, 12:06:04 am »

That's not true as I remember. If magma reached the non-steel aqueduct it wuold blow apart, making a permanent steam bath until you cut off the magma.

It's happened to me.

What was the aqueduct, in fact, made of? It can't be other metals like bronze etc.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 22, 2008, 01:16:38 am »

What was the aqueduct, in fact, made of? It can't be other metals like bronze etc.

The one over the river was a mix of limestone and the nearest stones, granite, felsite, etc. The one over the magma river was steel, since you couldn't build anything over magma without it being steel.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 22, 2008, 02:29:37 am »

The one over the river was a mix of limestone and the nearest stones, granite, felsite, etc. The one over the magma river was steel, since you couldn't build anything over magma without it being steel.

Eh? You had a magma aqueduct over the magma river? Why do that when you can tap it from the side you want it on in the first place?

There were supposedly other issues with aqueducts over the cave river.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 23, 2008, 05:32:40 am »

Quick update: I'm in to winter now, with, to be honest, not a great deal accomplished. No migrants have arrived or babies been born, and we've had some casualties, so fort population is slightly down. However, the food and booze situation is a lot better now (hope you like plump helmets and dwarven wine!). The chasm is magma-filled now, so no longer a threat, and the magma death weapon has moved one step closer to completion (magma is now pouring in to the cave river as well as the chasm).

I won't deny that there were a couple of slight accidents along the way (cave-in, magma flooding) but by and large, the fort is still there.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 23, 2008, 08:12:34 am »

This sounds more interesting than you say it is.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 23, 2008, 08:21:52 am »

1st Granite, 1056

Darkness rises from the east, as the accursed sun sets in the west and I approach the fortress of "Powerwork". I have controlled many fortresses in this fashion, but for some reason I have been sent here, to a rather backward part of the Empire, stuck eternally in the past. The fortress is dug into the face of a long cliff, all on one level, with a trade depot outside. It reminds me of engravings of long-abandoned fortresses.

Anyway, I arrive to discover that there is no suitable farming land (these dwarves refuse to build farm plots outside, it seems), plus if we flood a small area to create muddy rock suitable for farming, it might flood the entire workshop area. I order some doors placed to prevent this, prior to creating some fields.

There appear to be some tunnels to the south that are intended for lava release; I shall work to complete this weapon, as we're short of, well, a functional military. We've got about 8 soldiers, most of them tantrumming. I've stood them down for now, except a single guard posted outside the front gate.

8th Granite, 1056

I have appointed myself Trade Minister to aid... well, embezzlement. I've ordered a couple of war hammers made - we have plenty of marksdwarves, but we could do with some hammerdwarves.

12th Granite, 1056

With my new doors constructed, I ordered the flooding of the farm area. I forgot to check it was empty first, and a craftsdwarf was engulfed by the tide of water that flowed in. Fortunately he managed to hold his breath long enough for someone to close the floodgates. Sadly, I don't think that the cave river water is any cleaner than the dwarf was in the first place, but never mind. We have mud, and can plant food!

I hope everyone likes plump helmets. I don't think we have seeds for anything else.

13th Granite, 1056

An Elven caravan approaches. I'll order one bin of goods to be sent out to the trade depot, just in case they have something we want - like, say, food.

16th Granite, 1056

As planting begins on our farms, the Elves discover a kobold thief skulking in the wilderness. Annoyingly they failed to finish it off, and merely pointed it out as it sprinted towards our trade depot, at which point our waiting marksdwarf promptly shot the kobold in the head. Sadly he used his only bolt to do so, and as he dashed off to rearm, the kobold crawled away. A few metres. At which point the marksdwarf came back with another bolt. And fired. And missed. And ran off to rearm again. I can't help thinking there must be a better way to do this. Fortunately the third shot killed the kobold.

19th Granite, 1056

Another kobold. Another single shot that misses, but this time the marksdwarf charges the beast and beats it up with his crossbow. Not an ideal use of the weapon, but I'm awarding him points for improvisation.

20th Granite, 1056

Now the Elves have spotted a goblin snatcher, right by the trade depot. Meanwhile, the marksdwarf on duty has decided to slope off for a drink. Great. The goblin already has a child in his bag, and is dashing for the wilds, so I think we'll just have to strike a name off the roster.

Two snatchers now. Again, only being spotted once they are running for the hills. Fortunately this second one was caught by a guard, and splattered over the trade depot. Maybe we can sell goblin chunks to the elves.

Regardless, all the elves brought was rope reed cloth. I bought it all in return for some rock trinkets.

Now we have a third snatcher, again with a child but this time spotted inside the fortress. I activated two nearby civilians, and they ripped the goblin apart. Right over our stockpiles. Couldn't they have taken it outside?

8th Slate, 1056

The fields are almost fully planted now. There should be plenty of plump helmets to eat this year. I'll designate a little extra space to be planted - no harm in having more space as farmland.

11th Slate, 1056

The elven merchants are embarking on their journey. As they leave, a great miasma erupts from the trade depot. I think it's from the rotting goblin corpse, rather than a comment on our hospitality.

28th Slate, 1056

Our farms are doing well - a second Spring harvest is planned, as we plant another load of Plump Helmet spawn. I wish we had some cave wheat, or pig tail seeds, or indeed anything but plump helmets.

In other news, I've been investigating our military. I wish I hadn't. On paper, we have two squads of marksdwarves, a pair and an individual. The individual is on guard outside the fortress, and I just found the pair in their beds, trying to recover from having had bits of their body broken. Other than that we have a squad of recruits - one of which is now considered a Marksdwarf.

I'm considering the magma weapon to be a rush job.

10th Felsite, 1056

I am reminded that a magma death weapon that floods the outside world is not a panacea - a troglodyte has sprung from ambush. Presumably it crawled from the chasm. I activate a nearby metalsmith to deal with it... and the metalsmith is getting beaten up. This isn't supposed to happen. I deactivate him in the hope he will flee past the stone-fall traps, while summoning the marksdwarf guard from the front gate.

The metalsmith is in a bad way, but a passing mechanic has aided him in battle and inflicted a few wounds on the troglodyte. The mechanic fled as soon as the troglodyte was unconscious, so I made him part of the military and sent him back to finish the job, so that other dwarves could use the main corridor to get to the magma forges.

Once the troglodyte was dead, the marksdwarf turned up. I sent him back to the main gate, and left the mess to someone else to clear up. Meanwhile, I note that we are dumping lava into the chasm to prevent this happening again.

1st Hematite, 1056

It is now summer. We're quite well set up for food - I might recruit one or two of the farmers as a hammer squad... meanwhile, a recruit with a missing right arm goes berserk and is... terminally calmed by a passing guard. I think that that new squad might be a good idea.

5th Hematite, 1056

A marksdwarf, I believe from the Fortress Guard, has gone mad. I have no idea why. Fortunately he has announced that he has cancelled his plan of shooting at the archery range because he's too insane.

I wonder what we can do with him.

14th Hematite, 1056

A human caravan has arrived. I've ordered trade goods taken to the depot. Meanwhile, they spot a kobold out by the edge of the wilderness... sadly, it immediately turns tail and flees, rather than getting killed by the guards.

Also, a Carpenter is taken by a fey mood. Hopefully something good will result.

And another kobold is spotted, by the caravan. And another. They are swiftly splattered by the human caravan guards. I wish I could hire some of them...

The Carpenter is working away now on two lumps of oak and one piece of rope reed cloth. Looks like the artifact will be unremarkable, but the Legendary Carpenter will be useful...

8th Malachite, 1056

A giant mole has sprung from ambush. I'm tempted to increase the flow of magma to the chasm. A stray War Dog deals with it, but not without getting injured itself.

Its now unconscious in the channel I'm having dug for the Magma weapon. I hope someone moves it before everything else is prepared...

In other news, we have dealt with the humans, and come away with all their food, booze, leather and cloth. Possibly some other stuff they had and I bought without paying any attention. When you're as loaded with unusable goblin clothing as we seem to be, trading isn't exactly a challenge - getting anything of value in return for unmeltable stuff is a good deal for us.

13th Malachite, 1056

We have had a large rat spring from ambush, next to a Mechanic. The Mechanic splattered it easily, and a passing Mason is clearing up the mess. Why isn't the chasm magmafied yet?

22nd Malachite, 1056

Chasm magmafied. We're now a little bit safer.

15th Galena, 1056

My channels for the magma are still incomplete. The q key does not select undug channels. They're listed as suspended on the job list, and I can't reactivate them. Arse.

Digging more.

9th Limestone, 1056

More traders. Dwarves, this time. I hope we have enough narrow goblin clothing to swap for, well, everything they have.

11th Limestone, 1056

A deep rumbling is coming from the cavern. I think the plump helmet diet is taking its toll... either that or its a warning of something far more serious.

13th Limestone, 1056

As comes a caravan, so come the thieves. One kobold so far, chased away by the guards.

15th Limestone, 1056

Bugger. Apparently the rock here is weaker than the stuff I'm used to, and I over-excavated a section of the cavern at the cave river, leading to a cave-in. Arsebiscuits. No casualties, but our lovely steel lavaduct over the river is slightly annihilated.

3rd Sandstone, 1056

I dealt with the dwarf merchants. They brought nothing of real value - just some assorted meats, which were ritually swapped for narrow goblin clothing.

I'm beginning to worry that we might need a few sieges to replace all the stuff I'm trading away. Which is a problem as we're rather short of a military.

17th Sandstone, 1056

A lizardman has sprung from ambush. And the mason it ambushed has smeared it into a thin paste, which will shortly be channelled through.

I undrafted the mason, who decided that the best thing to do would be to retrieve the corpse of the lizardman he had just killed. So he returns to the corpse, and what happens? He gets ambushed by another lizardman. This one is also splattered. The dwarf decides not to go back and retrieve either corpse this time.

28th Sandstone, 1056

I just noticed the farmer in the fey mood was stuck in a workshop screaming for all sorts of things. The only thing he wanted that I didn't know we had some of was rough gems, so I've sent the miners off to get some.

22nd Timber, 1056

The farmer who was in a strange mood is now insane. Oh well.

2nd Moonstone, 1056

Winter is upon as one of our wounded dwarves, a metalsmith, dies of thirst. I think this is somehow appropriate.

8th Moonstone, 1056

The magma flood device is... technically another step towards completion. However, it's not an intended step. Rather than flooding a nice pre-prepared channel, it flooded the entire corridor, and only a swiftly-dug preventative channel saved the entire fortress from a fiery death (I think we lost one dwarf to the magma anyway). Now we have extra magma falling into the magmafied chasm, and a free steam generator as the magma flows freely into the cave river.

I think I shall leave this system to a successor to finish.  Otherwise Project FTW might begin with project Auto-F.

6th Opal, 1056

Another Craftsdwarf has entered a fey mood. I hope this one turns out better than the last one. He's claimed a clothesmaker's shop, which is slightly more useful than a standard trade-goods crafts workshop.

11th Opal, 1056

A Farmer has died from thirst. No idea what injured him - unless he was the one who went mad a few months ago. Oh well...

17th Opal. 1056

Our craftsdwarf in the clothing workshop is making something, finally, with three bolts of rope reed cloth, some horse leather, and two turtle shells. At least this one won't go nuts and die.

21st Opal, 1056

"Coloreat the Silken Rites of Tongs", a Rope Reed short skirt. Lovely, except it isn't exactly the right weather for that sort of clothing, what with all the snow. Also, it has a charming image on it - one of a dwarf withering away, lovingly rendered in turtle shell.

1st Obsidian, 1056

We're out of bones. Which is rather odd - I expected that enough stuff would have died to keep our craftsdwarves busy. Never mind, they can make skull totems and shell ornaments for a while. I'll have some wooden bolts made as well, just to keep our military in training equipment.

2nd Obsidian, 1056

My recruitment of the farmers is paying off. One has become a trained Hammerdwarf. Perhaps now he'll be able to fight off anything that comes, instead of hoping that marksdwarves will solve all our problems.

1st Granite, 1057

My year is over, and I hand control of this fort over to some unknown hands. Maybe they'll be able to finish the Magma Death Weapon without any further casualties... or maybe not.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 23, 2008, 08:34:21 am »

Save

Also... I don't know how to put this, but... Dadamh, you're, erm, slightly dead. I didn't notice until much later, but your dwarf was the one who got accidentally burned alive in an agonising fashion by the searingly hot magma.

If it makes any difference, I believe he was trying to dig a channel at the time that would safely contain the magma and protect the fortress... after digging a channel that released the magma in the first place. So I suppose that's a reasonably good way to go.

My dwarf is a noble, so if you should wish to gain some sort of revenge, I'm sure that would only be a good thing.

I think everyone else with a name survived. iluogo even gained a level!

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 23, 2008, 08:37:35 am »

Haha, nice writeup.  Good work!

It's ok that I died.  That sort of thing happens.

Ok, I'll get to the game sometime this week.  Yeesh, this fort is turning out to be rife with mistakes from not knowing 2d, which was half the point to start with.  Woo!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 23, 2008, 08:38:11 am »

Cave-ins can plug channels.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 23, 2008, 08:52:50 am »

Yeah, but in most places, the magma is merrily running through corridors, not nice little channels. Hopefully someone can artfully block it off just before the chasm, then sort out some of the mess I made.

Or we could just stick with a partially botched system. Somehow I'd prefer that.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 23, 2008, 10:11:23 am »

Dude, i think there's a lever to seal the magma flow short of leaving the river. i think that on account of the fact that i used it.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 23, 2008, 09:47:07 pm »

So, can i get back on the rotation, since that seems to be how this is working?
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32