Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32

Author Topic: Nostalgia Fort, Using Old 2d Version [23_130_23a]  (Read 49218 times)

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia Fort, Using Old 2d Version [23_130_23a]
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2008, 08:32:35 am »

Blimey, me already? And having to deal with a tantrum spiral?

We might need to reclaim after my go.

Anyway, the formalities: I've got the save file, I'm just off to grab the relevant DF version, and I'll probably find some time to start playing it (or at least screaming "Waaaah! Where are all the controls? Why can't I just dig down?)

Turn time limit is duly noted, I'll keep the write-up relatively brief to avoid overrunning.

<On edit>

Erm. Regarding the whole FTW-lava-flooding plans, most of the front of the fortress is fortified, which I think from memory means lots of handy lava-holes ensuring that the fortress' fate is entwined with that of the world.

Maybe building lots of statues will block them up.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 08:57:30 am by Jools »

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 17, 2008, 06:35:02 am »

Re: Fortifications

Yes, they let lava through!  Don't flood the world until you plug up the fortifications.  I THINK statues will do it, but make sure you block off the front of the fort with doors or floodgates before you pull the lever.

Also, good!  Someone is taking their turn.  That's good to hear.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 17, 2008, 04:58:07 pm »

Yes, they let lava through!  Don't flood the world until you plug up the fortifications.  I THINK statues will do it, but make sure you block off the front of the fort with doors or floodgates before you pull the lever.

Not to worry.  I have a plan.  Getting a channel of magma across the underground river would be nice though.  I have no idea how to do that.  It's mostly a plan for getting the magma out safely.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 17, 2008, 05:17:18 pm »

Not to worry.  I have a plan.  Getting a channel of magma across the underground river would be nice though.  I have no idea how to do that.  It's mostly a plan for getting the magma out safely.

Use an aqueduct, I think.  Has to be magma-safe, so I suppose Steel.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 17, 2008, 05:45:04 pm »

Use an aqueduct, I think.  Has to be magma-safe, so I suppose Steel.
Right, but I remember there was an issue with that in Boatmurdered, and I'm not entirely sure what the problem was.  There was a screenshot of the aqueduct going over the river when the writer of that turn mentioned it.  I don't want to try it and realize I have ruined it entirely.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 17, 2008, 06:01:45 pm »

I'm pretty sure the problem was the aqueduct wasnt made of magma safe materials (steel) and it broke when the magma reached it.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 17, 2008, 08:07:46 pm »

IIRC, it struck the cave river the first time, then a collapse later.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 19, 2008, 04:54:09 pm »

Right. We have problems. Like some bug (code not butterfly or roach) that meant a room became permanently flooded, with a jammed door, and it never dried out... then when some dwarf opened the other door to the flooded room, the entire of the fortress got unstoppably flooded. And then someone opened the front door, and now the world is permanently flooded (though the outside bit is shallow enough to wade through).

And I've got no saves since the first one I downloaded. I'll have to start again, the entire fracking world is flooding due to this bug.

I'll give it a go again, but I may run out of time.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 19, 2008, 06:05:52 pm »

Water is weird in 2d, and floods happen.  Hope you can finish in time.  Good luck!

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 20, 2008, 02:09:20 am »

I miss permafloods.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2008, 04:34:18 am »

I don't. Out of interest, I left the fortress running just to see what happened. 40-odd immediate drownings, one unlucky dwarf being swept into the chasm, and the survivors dying of starvation and dehydration soon after that, all because of one small flood that should have dried up months ago.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2008, 05:37:34 am »

Jools, take another week if you need it.  Given that permafloods only happen in 2d, and that you don't seem to get water dynamics there (not that I do either), go ahead.  This is also because our acceptance rate on even attempting turns is fairly low, and at least you are trying.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2008, 08:23:41 am »

Well, going by the rate I was getting through this one I ought to be able to get most if not all of the turn done over the weekend, so I won't be too much over the original deadline - a day or two at most. I don't want to keep it that much longer than that, though - I'm up in another sucession game soon...

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2008, 05:34:30 pm »

Did you forget to pull the farming lever?

Floods dry up quickly after being seperated from a water source.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2008, 04:08:10 am »

No, I pulled the farming lever to flood the farming area (getting the workshop area flooded into the bargain) but then closed the floodgate again... however, somehow the room with the lever in (between the main corridor and the workshop area) got flooded, and never dried out when the rest of the flood water receded. I then managed to get a few months done, including loads of stuff made in the workshops and fields being planted with, well, mostly plump helmets. During this time the farm lever room was always flooded, with no connection to the river, and then when some dwarf managed to open the door on the main corridor side, it acted as an infinite water source that promptly flooded ever part of the fort that it could get to. And then flooded the world outside...
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32