Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32

Author Topic: Nostalgia Fort, Using Old 2d Version [23_130_23a]  (Read 49191 times)

CaveBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia Fort, Using Old 2d Version [23_130_23a]
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2008, 05:45:35 pm »

The GCS in the Chasm with the elephant skull!
Praise the Miners! You have discovered an Underground Cavern!
You have struck Cave Bacon!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2008, 06:49:44 pm »

Captain Ironblood in the arena with the artifact cabinet.  :)
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

CaveBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2008, 07:59:50 pm »

Yah, Legolord wins.
Praise the Miners! You have discovered an Underground Cavern!
You have struck Cave Bacon!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2008, 11:20:15 am »

been busy, but still progressing. Should make some progress tonight. Everybody is still alive, a jeweler got a fey mood and I had to get a carpenter to throw together a shop for him.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2008, 10:43:33 am »

The Manager, Broker, Sheriff, and Berite arived. Both the Seriff and Berite have the same first name. They brought 24 other dwarves.

Oh my.

---------------------

Discovered Diamonds! Nestled right by the cave river, no less! They're allong the riverside tunnel, near the fishing spot. Since they aren't going anywhere soon and we don't have much use for them at the moment, I will wait until a sufficiently skilled miner is available for the task.

---------------------

Been working on the Noble's Quarter. I've been planning on giving them whatever is available and moving them up as better accomidations are built in. So far, they have beds. They even have doors, too!
They've still been unhappy about not having proper offices and so on. They really should be more patient. After all, Boatmurdered wasn't built in a day.

---------------------

I have had protective rails (made from raised bridges)placed alongside the cave river brige. They seem to be working so far. Unfortunately, the summer flood spilled in thrugh a side passage from a new garden, causing some of the hallway to become muddy. A door would be optimal.

---------------------

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2008, 03:20:58 pm »

If I remember correctly, raised bridges won't stop stuff from being washed off a bridge by flooding.  It will prevent them from getting back on it though.

The best you can do is either build a really wide bridge, or build a "catcher" bridge farther south where critters can drag themselves out of the water.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2008, 11:10:06 am »

---------------------

The FOOLS!
The locusts- the swine, they came, those immigrants. Consumed the last of our food and booze. Now, nearly a dozen of them, and our natives, have gone mad with hunger, scrounging for insects to eat instead of working to gather food for winter! Curse them!

I've ordered all the cats and foals to be slain for food, except for a breeding pair.

---------------------

We've stockpiled our first plant! And two farmers have starved. Why is it always the farmers who starve?

---------------------

I found a farmer loafing around "on break". While half the fortress is starving and winter encroaches, he takes a break! I threatened to throw him in the army or the chasm unless he got to work, and that seems to have motivated him.

---------------------

Until very recently, these dwarves where content to pile their food up in one giant stockpile with all the furniture and swords and everything! No wonder there was no food around. I've set this straight for now, with animals being butchered and some true stockpiles being prepared.

---------------------

Despite the fact that we now actually have some stockpiled, a mason and ANOTHER FARMER have died of stubbornness, choosing to hunt vermin rather than EAT THE PERFECTLY GOOD FOOD THAT'S RIGHT THERE.

---------------------

Oh, and by the way, the Dwarven caravan brought no food with them. Smart move, there, Nomgegeturist. If I ever see them again, I will personally lead them into a flooding trade chamber.

---------------------

Starvation has been staved off for now. We will most likely see disaster during the winter, but for now we are just getting by and we are beginning to stockpile. Meanwhile, the worthless broker has demanded that we make him bronze items. Hello, did you not notice the crushing famine when you arrived?

---------------------

Apparently farmers are just morbidly stupid- now they're off having tea parties in the dining hall.

---------------------

Annother mouth to feed... but not for long...
... I need miners, yes.
Need floodgates, doors.
*PTTG, Fortress Overseer has begun a mysterious construction!*

---------------------

(Everybody OK with me sealing up a few soapmakers and such to lower the population a bit? Oh, and really, Kagus? I've always done that and it seemed to work for me... hummm... if you say so, I'll tear them down.)

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2008, 04:32:04 pm »

i have this bad feeling that i may not have a turn until nostalgia fort 2.0.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2008, 05:49:24 pm »

--------------------

I have locked up some of the worthless excess population in special chambers. Now our food will last through the winter.

--------------------

I have taken the remainder of my time here over to having some steel produced and thus allowing us to build proper forges on the banks of the lava flows.

--------------------

[Three months later]

Grahmblagrahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! RRRRRRAAAAOOOgrmragaragar
homina homina homina.
GGGGGG. he he he he.
Ooooooop oooop walla walla.
[translation: It seems I have gone mad attempting to coerce the production of even a single bar of steel. Even these many months later, we have just now begun the smelting of the first and only bar of steel made here. Well, perhaps the next fortress manager will be able to use the fruits of my labor. Speaking of fruits, food is still a major issue. Farming and plant gathering will need to done immediately. Good news is, the fortress has a lot more character. Bet on a lot of engravings of dwarves wasting away.]

-------------------

Ah, I love a little role-play. Here's The Save

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2008, 07:24:11 pm »

This rocks.  I can't wait for my turn, inheriting a fort of dwarves starving to death from their own laziness.  2D really is more entertaining.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2008, 07:50:38 am »

Ok, webadict, your turn.  Haha, PTTG??, it's amusing how stupid the dwarves are in 2d.  Not that they are briiliant in 3d, but you know.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2008, 04:20:11 pm »

Given the constant forum connectivity issues, I'm figuring I'll extend webadict's 'initial response' time limit.  However, the week turn limit still stands.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2008, 04:29:44 pm »

Sorry. I was unable to access the forums correctly for a while. It's been annoying. I'll start right away.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2008, 09:39:45 pm »

Sorry. I was unable to access the forums correctly for a while. It's been annoying. I'll start right away.

Hey, good to see it was forum issues and not inattention or boredom with DF.  Good luck with the turn!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2008, 10:25:21 pm »

Actually, after reviewing my schedule... I don't think I'll have enough time. I'm sorry. But, I'd rather say so now. Whoever is next, you may go now.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32