Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32

Author Topic: Nostalgia Fort, Using Old 2d Version [23_130_23a]  (Read 49215 times)

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia Fort, Using Old 2d Version [23_130_23a]
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 08:47:11 pm »

I'm in.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 08:57:01 pm »

Wow, another sudden flurry of joins.  I suppose there's some pressure to actually get the fort off to a strong start now.  Be forewarned:  This won't happen.

Still, hey, lookin' forward to it.  Seems the old 2d version had a higher rate of blatant insanity anyway.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 09:43:14 am »

Wow, another sudden flurry of joins.  I suppose there's some pressure to actually get the fort off to a strong start now.  Be forewarned:  This won't happen.

Still, hey, lookin' forward to it.  Seems the old 2d version had a higher rate of blatant insanity anyway.

Woo! Go insanity... As year #5 (Or whatever)... I'm screwed. That's when everything starts sucking, right? Some time around year 4?

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 10:02:22 pm »

Ok, things led to things (Combating Majestic 12, and not watching the clock) and I ended up with little time today.  I assure you that I won't miss the week deadline.

I did, however, embark.  I haven't written up a formal anything yet, but here's the material I brought along:

2 Iron Picks
1 Iron Battleaxe
31 Plump Helmet Spawn
11 Plump Helmets
37 Turtles
2 War Dogs (In case)
2 Cats (Kitten mittens soon)

Also I brought
2 miner/engraver/masons
1 woodcutter/carpenter
4 growers with assorted other skills

This should be sufficient to get a stable food supply, and tradesmen can be trained or migrated.  All the stonecrafts in the world aren't worth anything if you don't have food.

Also note that you don't get anvils to start in 2d mode.  Also picks are 100 each, so no starting with seven miners.  I will begin digging tomorrow morning and work on getting something meaningful posted then.  Until that time, I have this image:

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 10:10:07 pm »

I'd sign up, but there's already quite a few people, and I could never stand the absence of a rewall.

(cept I could, the game was so great)

I'll just watch.

And laugh.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 10:16:30 pm »

If I could make a big suggestion, screw RPing.  Let's just do this thing and forget the time-consuming process of pointless characterization.

I see you went with an ordinary biome.  Will it freeze?  Is it savage?  Since we'll all be inside the whole time I guess it doesn't matter too much.

And if you're going to fight MJ12, don't namby around with worrying about alarms and such, blow them away fast and remember that there's more ammunition around every corner.  It's effectively impossible to get the no-kills ending, so save the effort and take them out the easy way.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 11:04:58 pm »

You should totally make a guard 'tower' on that island in the river. Maybe even a gate house that a road and bridges run through.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

iluogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 02:21:41 am »

You should totally make a guard 'tower' on that island in the river. Maybe even a gate house that a road and bridges run through.

I don't think you totally understood what 2d means, This means no towers because towers go up in the air (which isn't there in 2d). You also can't make walls in the 2d version so you can't build anything outside

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2008, 04:44:47 am »

Ahh, man...  The memories...

This is gonna be beautiful.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 05:41:09 am »

@Aqizzar:  Didn't know there was a no-kill ending.  I like skulking around for some reason, and made it till I got captured with no kills.  However, at that point I decided from an RP perspective, as well as a "screw it" perspective, that JC was tired of nonlethal attacks and I just picked up an AR and went to it.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 05:55:34 am »

I don't think you totally understood what 2d means, This means no towers because towers go up in the air (which isn't there in 2d). You also can't make walls in the 2d version so you can't build anything outside

I know you can't build up, thus the ' '. I didn't know you couldn't build walls though. Bummer.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 07:31:43 am »

@Dadamh: That's about the way I treated it, since I didn't know it was required and thus allowed to kill Anna.  But the AR sucks wind.  Level up rifle and head-shot people from six feet away.  It's ridiculously easy.

I know you can't build up, thus the ' '. I didn't know you couldn't build walls though. Bummer.

I've heard of building "walls" out of doors or floodgates or fortifications or something though.  Not sure how that works.  I'm also pretty sure that you can't build anything except workshops outside...

Holy crap.  Hey guys, I just had an awesome idea!  We'll build exterior walls made of workshops.  Gem-works for the west side, something else for the top and bottom.  It'll be hilarious.  I'm going to do this in my turn.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 08:41:47 am »

All right, sign me up too. I was dubious at first as I'm not always capable of getting through a year in a week but I just finished a turn in another fort in a few days, so I ought to be able to make it.

Also I occasionally try and play Deus Ex in a pacifist manner, but goddammit I always start running out of prod charges and tranquiliser darts around the time I first meet MJ12, and the urge to pick up that LAW in their armoury and shoot them with that instead becomes overpowering.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2008, 10:13:27 am »

Holy crap.  Hey guys, I just had an awesome idea!  We'll build exterior walls made of workshops.  Gem-works for the west side, something else for the top and bottom.  It'll be hilarious.  I'm going to do this in my turn.
Whoa whoa whoa... can you shoot through workshops? Because that might work... This is just insane enough to work! When my turn comes around though... All is lost! And I'll build the doomsday devices... Yes...

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2008, 10:25:51 am »

Don't raised drawbridges make the best walls in the 2-d version? Or can you only make retracting bridges? And statues are like a poor mans constructed fortification, aye?

EDIT: use channels to keep buildingdestroyers away from your workshop-walls.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32