Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 32

Author Topic: Nostalgia Fort, Using Old 2d Version [23_130_23a]  (Read 49213 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia Fort, Using Old 2d Version [23_130_23a]
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2008, 09:19:50 pm »

However will we have fun? gather leathers and watch Dwarves suffer butcher assorted meats?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2008, 07:37:13 am »

Ohh, man...  This is all coming back...  So beautiful...  It's a pity that I feel such nostalgia for the old Dwarf Fortress, but I do.  The new version is far more sandbox than game, and while that's all well and fine, every now and then I just want a challenge for the little bearded buggers.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2008, 09:10:24 am »

i am embarrassed to admit i haven't quite figured out non-nile type farming before now.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2008, 10:35:53 am »

i am embarrassed to admit i haven't quite figured out non-nile type farming before now.

I'm still trying to figure our how to flood my fields. I don't see any water pumps in the build menu ???

So far I've relied on the quarterly flood to muddify the mined out space next to the river.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2008, 10:52:20 am »

Build a floodgate next to the river, or next to a channel you've dug from the river. Opening the floodgate (using a lever linked to it) will make the tile next to the floodgate (the one on the opposite side of where the water is coming from) a "water source" tile. If this is in a channel, it'll flood the channel, and water will just stay in the channel. If this is a normal-height tile, it'll flood the room and anywhere it can get to until stopped by a (closed) door.

Close the floodgate again and the water will dry up pretty quickly, leaving you with a muddy floor ready for turning in to a field.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2008, 11:07:27 am »

Actually, I think a floodgate can only flood an area if it's letting the fluid out of a channel.  A single floodgate next to the river won't do anything, but two floodgates right next to each other (or a floodgate right next to a channel into the river) will flood the room.

Also, make sure to read up on the wonderful "permaflood" effect.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2008, 12:52:55 pm »

Perma-floods are why it must not be permitted to escape.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2008, 06:25:46 pm »

Also: water moves bloody fast in the old versions.  The 3d versions make it act like jello.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2008, 11:22:07 pm »

Also: water moves bloody fast in the old versions.  The 3d versions make it act like jello.
Remember though that channels will never overflow. So it is a good idea to use them when needed. Of course channels are also permanent so be cautious.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

iluogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2008, 10:27:39 am »

I'm almost finished with my year and I can already tell this fortress is going to be a mess. I don't have any idea how the layout of a 2d fortress should be and you can't rebuild walls so mistakes are for ever. Also farming is a lot more difficult in this version but I seem to have enough food for winter

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2008, 03:18:57 pm »

Haha the permanency struck me as unusual also.  There's basically nothing you can't fix somehow in the current version, but 2d is a lot less forgiving.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2008, 04:06:15 pm »

There's basically nothing you can't fix somehow in the current version, but 2d is a lot less forgiving.
Then nobody better mess with my doomsday devices... I'll see if I can't set up a view traps and what-not.

iluogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2008, 04:06:03 am »

1sth of granite

my reign has officially begun! Last winter we all almost starved to death so I will chance that.

3rd of granite

after I checked the stockpiles i now reallies how little food we have. luckily a farm has been build and seeds planted

12th of granite

Today i was walking through the fort seeing a lot of people idling. I asked what the problem was and they said there was no work! no work! we are almost starving to dead and they said there was no work! I have ordered them to go fishing

3rd of slate

Today our first plump helmet was ready to harvest. I will throw a party to celebrate!

13th of slate

Migrants. what are those useless peasants doing here. we barely have enough for ourselfs. I hope there are not to many.

15th of slate

it could not have been worse, after counting It turned out to be 20 migrants. 20! thats more than our whole population so far. I hope we can feed this bunch.

15th of felsite

something really strange happened today. Ablel was looking at one of the idols our crafters made when he started screaming! he was running around in circles screaming:
where's the forge!
I tried to tell him we had no forge but he didn't listen so I ordered a forge to be build. It seemed a bit useless since we didn't have any fuel anyway but as soon as We finished he came screaming and said he needed ore. I tried to ask him what ore but he just said ore. I hope we can find what he wants

25th of felsite

our miners found a deep chasm today. I ordered a bridge to be build so we can see what lies deeper in the mountain.

2nd hematite

today our miners found some casserite. As soon as ablel heard it he ran to get 3 pieces and some wood and started to work

23rd of hematite

today ablel came out of the forge with a very nice idol. It depicted me and Dadamh and all the other founders. Ablel now is a legendary furnace operator

17th of malachite

just as I had food production going fast enough another bunch of peasants comes to eat our food. 8 in total. we now have 46 dwarves! and we started with 17! I have ordered a military to be started so they have something to do

14th of malachite

today the humans came. luckily I had a road build so there wagons could reach us. I have traded our crafts for 80 pieces of meat. That should help us feeding our men

7th of galena

today another dwarf was doing strange. Our carpenter took some wood and got to work in a bowyers shop.

19th of galena

today he came out with a magnificent.....bow. I don't know what he wants us to do with it because nobody knows how to use such a thing. I immediately ordered him to make some crossbows for our men

11th of limestone

today the cave river overflowed. only one peasant was dumb enough to stand an watch it. he fell in to the river and drowned. He is our first death.

9th of sandstone

today a stream of magma was found. It will be handy for smelting ore.

27th of timber

another mood, one of our miners this time. He is demanding rough gems. I showed him all the gems we have. even our precious diamond but none of them were good enough. I hope he survives this.

22th of opal

today he went berserk. He killed a peasant and smashed a carpenter before the marks dwarves rushed in to kill him. the carpenter is now nothing more than a vegetable. his skull was cracked and he has pretty severe brain damage. Maybe we should help him out of his misery.

17th of obsidian

the ice has melted and it is time for me to pass leader ship on to a new ruler.
good luck!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
the save

i forgot what a pain in the ass moods were in the 2d version and I got 3 of them! luckily only 1 died
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 06:32:47 am by iluogo »

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2008, 05:49:39 am »

i forgot what a pain in the ass moods were in the 2d version and I got 3 of them! luckily only 1 died

It's not just moods either. I'm finding nearly everything in the 2d version is more of an "Oh shit!" moment than the latest version. My first death was before the first winter even: a pack of ratmen ambushed my woodworker in by the river (I had mined out to the chasm, but the hallway was empty). While he managed to kill a few of them, numbers won out and he was strangled to death. Since then I've had a cave crocodile rampage through my main halls; killing 3 dwarves and severely wounding another. One of my first two miners also drowned while digging a channel by the cave river. It just seems like there's so much more than can go wrong.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2008, 05:52:39 am »

It just seems like there's so much more than can go wrong.

Which is half the point!  Makes it more interesting.

So, Iluogo, did you basically just dig straight east?  You found most of the features already!  Haha, but the magma is good because we need forges and fuel is a pain in the arse.  Of course, as I recall, we will be having a lot of chasm and lava monsters now.  This is a good thing of course. 

Man, what a crapton of immigrants.  Also good.  More dwarves means more gets done!  Sort of.

Also a legendary Furnace Operator?  Weak!

Ok!  It's Glacies' turn.

One week from Monday, so woo!  Go!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 05:56:08 am by Dadamh »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 32