Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32

Author Topic: Nostalgia Fort, Using Old 2d Version [23_130_23a]  (Read 49288 times)

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia Fort, Using Old 2d Version [23_130_23a]
« Reply #300 on: February 03, 2009, 10:10:22 pm »

Did you jam a floodgate open with somthing?

Otherwise, it takes as long to cool as it did to spread, or thereabouts.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 04, 2009, 07:14:30 am »

When you shut it off, the lava immediately disappears from the place it started, and spreads outwards from there.

If it's still there, you've permaflooded, though I have no idea how.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 04, 2009, 02:26:37 pm »

Oh no . . . Both floodgates were closed . . . and it kept spreading.  Didn't start disappearing from the floodgate.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 04, 2009, 08:24:30 pm »

25th Granite, 1061
   It would appear that there has been . . . a glitch in the magma cannon.  Precisely what the problem is cannot be determined, as that would require the rest of the fort be opened to the barrel of the cannon.  At any rate, magma continues to flow into the world, and there does not seem to be anything we can do to stop it.  Due to being locked in, I have ordered a new area dug out for tower cap farming.
   This goes against all written history . . . and there never was a solution to permafloods.  My only option could be to return to my time . . . or go beyond it.

Er . . . yeah, I think I've permaflooded the whole dang world with magma.  I think I know what caused it too.  I had removed the doors that were keeping magma from flowing back into the supply channel.  I think this might have confused the game, because there would be walking level magma-filled tiles and magma channel tiles right next to each other.  So I have three ideas:  one, I could go back to (name here)'s save.   Two, I can have my turn skipped.  Or three, I can post the fort as is for the next person to take up and see if they can figure out how to fix it, 'cause I have no idea.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 08:28:32 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 04, 2009, 08:36:10 pm »

Legolord keeps rolling natural 0's on all of his Skill and Perception checks. I think it's funny.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 04, 2009, 08:36:55 pm »

Man, you just don't have the best of luck with this game.

You can't fix it, and you are correct about what caused it.  You're going to have to restart I suppose.

On the plus side, you were only 25 days in.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 04, 2009, 08:49:23 pm »

Very well . . . Although I think I might try one or two experiments.
Just so I remember

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 04, 2009, 10:02:08 pm »

15th Slate
   We’re all doomed.  The magma flow backed up, destroying the time machine.  Now the entire fort is flooding.  The last of the miners have already died to the magma.  Hopefully it will stop at the chasm.  Even if this does happen, we are still entirely trapped, with the entirety iron and coal mines flooded.

16th Slate
   Yes, we are all dead.  The bridge across the chasm allowed the magma to flow over it.  The doors would have stopped it, but some moron dug a tunnel around it.  C’est la vie.

Test didn't work.
Just so I remember

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 06, 2009, 09:45:25 pm »

Diary of LegoLord, 1st Granite, 1061
   Oh, what good fortune!  The destruction of the time machine caused me to be flung back to my own time.  The fort was still flooded, yet there was no one else there.  Though it goes against my oath as a member of the Evil League of Evil, I have come back in time to prevent what I put wrong, to save the world.  The League probably doesn’t even exist in the flooded future anyway; Bad horse was born outside of Powerworks.
   My first action was to gain control.  All I had to do this time was use my knowledge of pressure points from the future.  The swordmaster should be waking up shortly.  Next, I ordered the barrel of the magma cannon extended, so as to prevent a repeat of the glitch that flooded the world.  Anticipating an elven attack, I will order all dwarves indoors as soon as the miner has been rescued from the island in the river.  Some idiot ordered a channel dug, and he was on the wrong side at the wrong time.

11th Granite
   I noticed a guard chained in the prison today.  Upon enquiring what he had done, he told me he was in for violation of production order.  He also told me that his name was “name here,” and that he was the previous overseer.
   Serves him right.

An elven elite bowmen squad ambushed a carpenter today, as we are still unable to come completely inside.  He, a metalsmith, two wrestlers, a recruit, four marksdwarves, three cats, a swordsdwarf, a horse, a speardwarf, an axedwarf, two legendary craftdwarves, and two dogs were killed before the elves fled.  One of them hit a bull’s eye on the way, though.

17th Granite
   We have loads upon loads of pig iron and iron, but no steel!  Why?!  The former rulers were clearly too slack.  This is just unacceptable.  Some one shall pay . . .

20th Granite.
   Two miners are not enough.  I grabbed a couple of peasants and handed them picks, telling them that they damn well better learn to dig or they’d be digging past the magma flows.  That sure got them working.  Who ever thought it was a good idea to kill off all the miners was an idiot.  How are we supposed to get limestone for steel making without good miners?

Okay . . . didn't go quite so well that time.  But at least I didn't perma-flood the world with magma.  Also, I'm working on making it so that we don't have to worry about the doors that held back the magma jamming.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 09:48:56 pm by LegoLord »
Just so I remember

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 07, 2009, 11:38:40 am »

13th Slate
   Migrants arrived.  They should survive this time.

20th Slate
   Arghh!!! These stupid nobles keep making mandates!!  In other news, the magma cannon upgrade is proceeding well.  The shaft leading away from the barrel has been widened, so that once smoothed an a road is built up to it, it will function as a second entrance.  The trade depot chamber is almost complete, but some rock crystals were found in the walls.  The magma cannon itself is almost operational once more; the floodgates need only be linked to the lever.  The old lever was replaced with a new one so the old floodgates would remain open.  It is important that they not be removed, as this could cause flooding.

Events of the 1st Hematite, 1061
   LegoLord sat at his desk, working hard on his plans to improve the fort.  The door creaked open, but he did not notice.  A dark shadow moved across the room.  LegoLord turned at the sound of a sword leaving its sheath, only to be decapitated in a seconds.  His body fell sideways out of the chair, knocking a map of the fort with notes scribbled on it to the floor.

The assassin picked up the map and looked at it.

“Interesting . . .” the dwarf said, folding it up and placing it in a pocket.

map
save-now uploaded
Oi.  That sure is tiring.  I would have played past spring but I just have too much to do and don't want to hold this up.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 01:09:37 pm by LegoLord »
Just so I remember

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 09, 2009, 06:31:17 pm »

MAGMA CANNON!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 09, 2009, 06:58:11 pm »

Yes.  And you have until the end of spring to play with your pretty new toy, since I ended my turn after my first season.

MAAAAAAAAAAGMAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
Just so I remember

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 09, 2009, 10:59:50 pm »

Lol, bulls eye.  ;D

Formula for 2d DF:

1. Get some food/booze production going
2. Find river
3. Find chasm
4. Find magma
5. Get sieged
6. Make magma super weapon
7. Go crazy with power
8. Hit HFS and die horribly/tantrum spiral -> die horribly

Or thats the basic way ive seen these types of forts go.  :D  Damn, this is the fort thats made me want to go play the 2d version....better go download it...

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 12, 2009, 12:23:01 am »

Eita, I suppose you are skipping your turn?  I sent you a message but never got a response.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 18, 2009, 05:44:54 pm »

Ok then.  Been WAY too long but I lost track of things.

Kiri's turn now.  Good luck!  You've got till next Sunday (28th) so take your time.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32