Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32

Author Topic: Nostalgia Fort, Using Old 2d Version [23_130_23a]  (Read 49192 times)

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia Fort, Using Old 2d Version [23_130_23a]
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2008, 11:05:49 am »

Oh wow.. this is certainly different. I started playing DF after z-levels were implemented so I never got to experience the glory of the 2d version. This thread has changed that. I'm only into the first summer and already I've had two cave-ins at my workshop area. Luckily none of my dwarves were hurt.

And to not derail this thread into a "your 2d experiences" thread:
Don't raised drawbridges make the best walls in the 2-d version? Or can you only make retracting bridges?

You can make raised, in addition to retracting, bridges.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2008, 11:06:47 am »

I don't think you can link outside bridges to levers, though. I may be wrong but I'm sure I had trouble with this before.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2008, 11:35:07 am »

Since nobody's mentioned it, granite.exe used to allow people to rewall, though I'm not sure if we want to do that or not.  Also, outside bridges cannot be linked, they have to stay down.  However, raised underground bridges make great safety walls for the chasm.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2008, 04:13:48 pm »

But we get magma, right? Just to play with... Yes... play...

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2008, 04:44:20 pm »

I say no cheating.  That's no reveal, granite, whatever.  Keep it vanilla.

Also yes.  There's cave river, chasm, magma, and 'other features' on every map.

Also I'm in mid-summer at the moment.  Should be a writeup either this evening or tomorrow sometime.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2008, 06:19:48 pm »

Beware the "other features."

Also, there's a way to cheat that i'd like to be allowed, because otherwise we're either going without somthing nice or running a high risk of fortress death.

HFS spoilers

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 06:21:26 pm by (name here) »
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2008, 06:21:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2008, 06:51:27 pm »

OK!  Not to double (or possibly shortly triple) post, but the year is done now!  I made it through winter, which is good.  There are things that need doing here and there, but by and large the fort is reasonably stable for the moment.

I will now start converting my notes to a simple writeup.  I'm not going overboard with the dramatics, just a fairly simplistic one for the first year.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008, 06:57:21 pm »

I'm glad you guys are doing this. I wish I could join up, but last time I tried playing the old version it just killed my computer. I was dealing with the whole computer crashing every season or so. So I look forward to reading, anyway. Besides, by the time it got to my turn I'm sure the fortress would be a reeking death-hole.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2008, 07:00:02 pm »

Haha everyone is assuming that within just a couple turns, everything will be caked in blood, vomit, and death.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2008, 07:12:26 pm »

That's because in just a couple of turns, everything WILL be caked 5 feet deep in blood, vomit, death, and *cat leather blank*

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2008, 08:01:12 pm »

I say that we name a player after ourselves. I just feel the need to.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2008, 08:05:02 pm »

Ok, so apparently you can't name forts in the 2d version.  Still, we got "Powerwork", which is just awesome.  The year went smoothly, with no real problems, so the writeup is short and a bit bland.  I'm sure things will pick up in a week or two.  Aside from a couple, the pictures will be posted as thumbnails.  I don't want to gunk up the page with a lot of huge images of text.   I named a miner after myself, but didn't bother getting into the RP silliness. Here goes:

Journal: Midorducim, "Powerwork", 1051

1st Granite:  We've arrived here at the site chosen for Midorducim.  It's been a long road, and we've already consumed all the libations we initially brought along.  Still, we have sufficient food reserves for a time, and the land here seems plentiful.  I've designated a few small stockpiles, and told the lads to get everything sorted.  The woodcutter is off cutting wood for use as beds and barrels, and one of the farmers has begun constructing a still.  The miners are eagerly clearing the front of the cliff here, as well as digging eastward, in search of wealth or water.  As an aside, the region we are in is known as "The Eternal Horns".  The name is too similar to a fort I've heard of, that was rumored to be cursed, and I fear that it bodes ill for this outpost.  I hope we won't see that here.

6th Granite:  The miners have struck silver as they dig deeper into the mountain.  The workshops are coming along well, and the wood stockpile is increasing steadily.  I'm feeling optimistic about our future here.

12th Granite:  Our first alcoholic drink in nearly two weeks is ready!  The new still has produced some rather decent plump helmet wine.  Nothing quite like the seasoned stills in the mountainhomes, but better than drinking water.  I've designated an area for mining inside, eventually to be a large stockpile for food and valuables.  However, in the interest of eventual farming, I've decided not to let the miners at it yet.

14th Granite:  We've struck a cave river!  It was rather high when we broke through the wall, and I had to run quickly to escape drowning.  The water flooded the passageway, and even came out into the daylight.  Still, it's good that we have found the river.  Soon we can begin work on an indoor farm, and get out from under this yawning expanse of sky.

Cave river!:

OH GOD OH GOD

Final result: 

17th Granite:  The flood waters are receding.

7th Slate:  With the flood waters completely gone, the miners began expanding the hallway and digging out a stockpile room.  I've moved the food inside.  None too soon either, as the midspring temperatures and constant rain outside were beginning to turn the turtles that we'd brought along a bit ripe.

4th Felsite:  The large stockpile inside is complete.  The miners are now working on a farm, closer to the river.  Hopefully we can finish it in time to get a few decent harvests in before winter.

20th Felsite:  Took quite a while, but the farm room is now dug.  We've still got to build the relatively simple mechanism to flood the room and make it farmable.  Shouldn't be too hard.

28th Hematite:  A metalsmith has arrived, bringing an anvil.  He's currently carrying it across the valley.  He's carrying an anvil, by himself, presumably all the miles from the mountainhomes, right to our doorstep.  I don't think he'll be having any worries regarding bullying.  Meanwhile, our farm still isn't operational, because no one can seem to bring themselves to get to installing the floodgates.

11th Malachite:  We have nothing to trade, and as fall approaches, I worry that I will look like a fool for the caravan.  The farm is still unfinished.  Though the flooding went well, as did the drainage, there are dozens of stones all over, and they are interefering with the furrowing.  The bedrooms that we've been working on for months are now finished, and the beds are in place.  We still need doors to complete them, but that shouldn't be long.

18th Galena:  A dull month has passed, with mundane tasks.  The bedrooms are all doored now, and assigned.  The front wall is partially smoothed, awaiting fortification carving.  Also the cave river is now bridged, for future expansion.  First harvest!  A few plump helmets.  I don't know if we can make it through winter; we just didn't get the plants growing early enough.

1st Limestone:  It's officially fall.  The caravan won't have much to trade if they show up.  We have been focusing primarily on food and housing, and haven't produced much in the way of trade goods.  Foodstocks are still low, and you can feel the tension as the temperature outside drops.

10th Limestone:  I've stopped the brewing of more wine.  We have a river if we need it, but we can't eat rocks and that's quickly becoming the closest thing that we have to food.

13th Limestone:  The woodcutter has spotted the caravan on the hill to the west!  We don't have a proper road, so they haven't brought wagons, but hopefully they have some foodstuffs and other assorted goods.  I've ordered our meager bits of crafts and mechanisms out to the depot.  Hopefully it wil be enough.

19th Limestone:  The caravan has arrived, complete with gloomy thoughts.  No one has moved anything to the depot!  I've stopped any tasks I can find and told only farmers to worry about harvesting plump helmets for the moment.

22nd Limestone:  Having moved a few crafts and a mechanism into the depot, I've traded for most of their store of meat.  Assuming I'm able to trade again, I'll get the rest.  They brought little else, just meat, mushrooms, and cheese.  Still, it's good to have some meat after all this time, and it's much more helpful than the growing pile of stone crafts.

3rd Sandstone:  I attempted another trade, but the merchants' mules were overburdened.  We are low on food but should survive the winter at least.

10th Sandstone:  The caravan leaving, also gave advice with regards to roads and humans.  I don't think roads are likely to be on the top of my list of priorites when we can't even tell if we have food enough for winter.

18th Sandstone:  We've got one row of tables in place in the dining room, though the walls and flooring are a bit rough.  I find that it's often important to enjoy meals, and so I intend on making the dining area a nice place to be.    The food situation seems fine for the winter, I can't see us blowing through the dozens of meals we have available.

9th Timber:  Migrants have been spotted on the approach! 

We haven't finished the expanded bedrooms yet, but the ectra people might help in some way.  However, this places us severly low on food again.  Still, extra hands make all the work lighter.  I remain optimistic that all things will work out.

9th Timber addendum:  There are more than we thought. 

"Severely low" doesn't start to cover our food situation.  Thankfully one of the migrants is a fisherdwarf, who might be able to help increase our stores.  Overall we've received a Fisherdwarf, another Metalsmith, a skilled Craftsdwarf, a third Miner, Two Peasants, a Trapper/Marksdwarf who may be useful if we ever see any animals around, a largely useless Jeweler, and an apparently orphaned Little Girl.  This places our population at 17.

1st Moonstone:  Winter is upon us.  Have about 63 edible meals, and 46 drinks.  We should be ok with that, and if not, well, it's too late to do anything about it now.

6th Moonstone:  Finished new indoor workshop area, which hopefully will allow me to stay indoors from now on.  It's getting too cold outside to do any real work anyway.

13th Moonstone:
  The food is holding up mostly.  Snowstorm outside, which makes me worried that the river will freeze over.

16th Moonstone:
  Looks like I was right: 

The river has frozen.  The cave river is still fine though.  Nonetheless, that cuts off the availability of fish.  Nevertheless, we seem to have enough food, and I look forward to a few calm months of indoor work and safety.

7th Obsidian:  We certainly had enough food for the winter.  The river is starting to thaw, which means that spring is approaching and that we'll be able to fish again soon.  The past few months flew by with no real happenings.  A period of calm is welcome.

12th Obsidian:
  The river is completely thawed!  The fisherman has returned, and is pulling out more turtles as we speak.  We made it!

1st Granite, 1052:
  Well, we've survived the first year.  Many new outposts fail in this time, and many believe that the hard times are now behind us.  I certainly hope so.  I'm relinquishing command to Iluogo.  I've got mining to do, and the dining room isn't going to smooth and engrave itself.  We have fairly low stores of food, but enough to last until the harvest comes in, if we plant in the next few days.  We have nothing to trade to the elves, which should arrive shortly, but we may have time yet to carve a few stone baubles.  With that, I leave the fort to my worthy successor  Good luck!

Final Status:

Final Map:

Like I said, overall everything is stable.  All our crafts currently are shells, and we have plenty of bone bolts, but the elves won't buy that crap.  So Iluogo, you may want to switch both workshops to produce rock crafts.  Also, be sure to flood the farm (the lever next to it, make sure the doors are closed and locked), and rebuild/reassign it to plump helmets.  Anyway, good luck, and here's hoping for a fun year!

Save:  http://rapidshare.com/files/150416450/region1.zip.html(seven megs, so it might take a bit to download)
Just unzip that in the df_23_130_23a\data\save directory.  Should put a region1.sav file and a region1 folder in there.  Iluogo!  You have a week!  Strike the earth! Woo!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 08:11:17 pm by Dadamh »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2008, 08:54:23 pm »

Nice nice... I plan to revamp this when it's my turn. Were there any wildlife attacks? Why so peaceful?

I think what I'm trying to say is... Where are the Elephants...  :o

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2008, 09:51:09 pm »

I saw NO ANIMALS AT ALL.  It was kinda depressing.  Temperate woodlands, so I rather doubt elephants, but I sorta expected foxes and raccoons and whatnot.  Seriously though, I saw no wild animals at all, for the entire year.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32