Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32

Author Topic: Nostalgia Fort, Using Old 2d Version [23_130_23a]  (Read 49247 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia Fort, Using Old 2d Version [23_130_23a]
« Reply #240 on: January 04, 2009, 11:07:34 am »

As soon as I find the link to the save, I'll get started.  It might take me a little while, because I might practice my 2D management with another fort so I don't destroy this one.  Or I could just go for broke, with absolutely no practice or preparation since my abortive first attempt.

Wish me luck, and that I don't get devoured by Civ 4 any more for a few days.

Civ4 is fun times, but DF shouldn't take too long.  A couple hours?  Been a while since I've run this fort.
Ha!  Not a chance!  The FPS is at about 15-20.  Sometimes 7.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 06, 2009, 03:48:55 pm »

Okay, I got the save, and I'm playing.  Right now, my list of things to do includes building an office for the broker, so I have an actual stocks screen; building more coffins for the graveyard, since we don't have any tombs; building a glass furnace so I can at least try to meet some demands; and building noble rooms, because we have 13 nobles out of 104 dwarves.

Speaking of which, I love that the mayor has to walk to his suite by squeezing through a fish-workshop.

And who named Mebzuth the Captain of the Gourd?

FPS hovering around 12 while playing, wish me luck.

EDIT: Aw crap, goblin siege on 15th Granite.  Let's see how the military holds up.

EDIT MOAR: There's 70+ goblins, with a human macelord.  We have a dozen each meleedwarves and marksdwarves, half of whom are recruit level with many laid up in bed.  Fuck this, it's magma time.  The Elven Diplomat already walked into a wall of arrows after chewing me out about trees, so I've nothing left to worry about.

MOVIE EDIT: The magma release mostly works.  Don't know why the video is so fast though.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 05:45:50 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 07, 2009, 06:06:40 am »

Cool!  The magma gun functions!  Well, I tested it on my turn and savescummed, but I'm glad it works in an actual seige.  Now there is piles of free iron if we want it.

Also:  Glad someone is playing their turn.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 12, 2009, 05:13:15 am »

I'm still alive, just haven't had a chance to sit down with DF lately.  I am through Spring though.  Dadamh has already chewed me out.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 12, 2009, 06:33:11 am »

Dadamh has already chewed me out.

Whoops, sorry man.  Didn't mean to come across like that.  I've just been annoyed that both of my succession games have been skipping people left and right.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 12, 2009, 07:31:18 pm »

Nah, just mentioning that I was alerted.  S'all cool.

Population is up to 121 right now.  I'm trying to reestablish some infrastructure at the magma end of the fort for the smiths to live in, and balance out the economy regarding all the Repeat orders.

Just got an artifact too - Usirrinal Udstemelbukith Līd, "Glacierivy the Willful Responsible Turmoil of (the screen is too small)".  It's a jet bracelet, 52800☼, with pictures of dwarves shooting dwarves and goblins burning.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 12, 2009, 10:45:20 pm »

pictures of ... goblins burning.

Oh god, shades of Boatmurdered.  This is possibly all we will see from now on.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 12, 2009, 10:48:29 pm »

Yeah probably.  I got about 40 of them in that hit, along with the human.

I didn't realize that with the economy on, I can't assign rooms to non-legendaries or non-nobles anymore.  So one legendary metalsmith is living by the forge, while everyone else bunks by the front door.

Also, I just caught (and killed) a kobold named Jreengus.  Awesome.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 13, 2009, 10:21:45 pm »

Aaand, I'm finally done.

Pretty uneventful turn I suppose.  I didn't do anything crazy or start big projects.  Dug some new apartment closets (that still no one can afford), dug more suites for nobles (didn't get all of them), and dug more storage rooms (that are completely filled).  I set up a magma glass furnace and smelter, to cover mandates and moods, and I believe I filled every mandate (except coins, screw that noise).

Fended off two goblin sieges, both with magma, flawlessly.  Only lost one dwarf all year, a talented carpenter who was too picky to use diamonds, emeralds, or sapphires in his mysterious construction and went berko.

One tiny problem, I completely spaced on farming or butchering, and thought all the crap I bought from merchants would be plenty of food.  Apparently I was wrong.  There's like no food anywhere, except a lot of raw fish and animal fat, both being processed painfully slowly.  Have fun with that.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 14, 2009, 06:35:01 am »

Hey, we knew that playing the old version would lead to weird things.  At least it went better than last time, eh?

Woo, one turn done!  Ok, next up is Eita.  They've got till Wednesday of next week.

Ok, Eita said to postpone, so I'll knock them back a bit.  Next up is (name here).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 06:07:39 pm by Dadamh »

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 16, 2009, 06:53:19 am »

I'll get on it tonight.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 16, 2009, 05:23:29 pm »

1st granite

I arrived at the fortress I had been sent to rule to see ashes coating the ground.

That’s rarely a good sign…

(second entry)

It was a type 2 bad sign: Magma superweapon causes neglect of internal defenses and food production. Rectification proceeds now.

Yeah, there seems to be no food. like at all.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 16, 2009, 06:31:08 pm »

Do what I tried - slaughter puppies as fast as possible.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 16, 2009, 08:18:10 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 08:28:29 pm by (name here) »

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 17, 2009, 07:12:33 am »

Haha, I'd considered doing the same thing.  It's up to you if you want to do it, but ok.

Hope you get the food thing sorted out at least.  This fort never seems to have the security with regards to food that modern forts take for granted.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32