Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32

Author Topic: Nostalgia Fort, Using Old 2d Version [23_130_23a]  (Read 49185 times)

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia Fort, Using Old 2d Version [23_130_23a]
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2008, 05:40:50 am »

Actually, after reviewing my schedule... I don't think I'll have enough time. I'm sorry. But, I'd rather say so now. Whoever is next, you may go now.

Hey, that's cool.  Better to say so than to just leave and wait for time to expire.  Next is Aqizzar!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2008, 05:50:24 am »

Hooja?  Whu?  My turn?

Uh yeah.  I'm definitely up for it.  One tiny little hitch, I can't get started until Friday.  I've got to write a paper on the Palestinian Mandate today and tomorrow, so I need to put this off until then.

I'm stoked about building my Great Wall of Workshops.  But the way my work ethic goes, I have to convince myself I can put this off to get anything else done.

(It is a bitch fixing typos with these forum slowdowns.)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 06:07:25 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2008, 10:46:27 am »

Well, you have till next wednesday to finish, so it's plenty o' time.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2008, 01:59:29 pm »

Opened it up to look around.

I don't know how to find dwarves!  (Q) doesn't do nearly as many things as it's supposed to!  Material selection is all out of whack!

Oh God, where the hell is my stocks screen?!!??!

We don't have any bones!  We don't have any doors, and I can't find the mason's shop!  We don't have an anvil!  I think?!  I can't find out!!!  We don't have any booze either, maybe!  For the love of Armok where are the farms?

We have a giant pile of very expensive gems and iron bars just laying around outside, but everybody's busy hauling [Idon'tknow!?!] how many corpses and a giant pile of clothing from near the magma river that I don't care to dwell on.  And even if I could get them to move stuff, I can't quantum-stock all these god damned rocks to put down a stockpile and I'm afraid of causing a cave in but why isn't the magma river collapsing then and oh god oh god I can't forbid things

I'm through the looking-glass and flying blind here.  I'd have an easier time of this if I'd never played DF before than I am now, trying to unlearn all the 3D stuff to play retrograde style.  This is going to be hard.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2008, 02:07:46 pm »

Aqizzar, let me first sympathize with you.
Now I must laugh, possibly out loud, picturing your tough-as-nails avatar having that conniption fit.
He he he heee.

Don't forget 't' and to lock doors.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2008, 03:01:13 pm »

poor guy. sounds like you don't have a bookkeeper.
but i recall that u still brings up the unit list.

also, ouch. magmaman?

and yeah. those rocks will be your friends for a long, long, time unless you get a magma superweapon and put them in it's path.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2008, 06:28:59 pm »

I tried out this version after reading the first bit of it  (couple weeks ago?).  A few important tips for you, Aqizzar.  Use "t" to suspend construction or deconstruct buildings that require mechanisms to change the settings of.  All nobles are immigrant nobles (even book keeper), so do everything you can to defend your useful nobles.  Do NOT make the mistake of digging out a pillar supporting the dining hall ceiling when you only meant to have it smoothed (this caused a tantrum spiral that destroyed my fort).

But you're probably still doomed no matter what you do. >:D
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2008, 12:04:44 pm »

Hello? This still alive?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2008, 02:27:17 pm »

Technically alive.  It's my turn right now, but I have to abdicate for the next person.  I've got the World's Longest Paper due in six days, so I really can't afford to be playing DF right now.  Sigh... My Great Wall of Workshops was coming along so well too.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 02:31:00 pm by Aqizzar »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2008, 06:06:52 pm »

I might have to take a turn at this, if possible.  I recently started a second 2D fort, and things are going much better.  I haven't gotten the hang of keeping miners from drowning whilst building channels, though.

Also, a possessed metalsmith claimed a kennels.  Future overseers should keep this in mind.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2008, 06:20:36 pm »

... They can claim kennels?

"This is a wardog. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It means with spikes of dog bone."

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2008, 06:44:24 pm »

... They can claim kennels?

"This is a wardog. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It means with spikes of dog bone."

She actually made a platinum sarcophagus.  I locked her in her own room because she was a novice and therefore unnecessary.
Just so I remember

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2008, 12:00:36 am »

This looks awesome, sign me up. I tried to build a 2d fort once, my miner died making a channel for a farm. Then I read up on permafloods and shuddered.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2008, 06:52:44 am »

Too bad, Aqizzar.  Real life seems to be a problem for succession forts in general.

I added the two new folk.  Welcome!

Ok, it's NTheGreat's turn.  Since the forum was all stupid for so long, I figure extra time for his turn, so maybe next sunday?

NTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2008, 08:01:38 am »

Gah, my turn already? I'm already part of the way though another succession game, but I should be able to get this one done as well before Sunday.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32