Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: UnReal World, anyone?  (Read 4316 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: UnReal World, anyone?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 07:03:56 pm »

I wasn't impressed, but I just played the demo for a bit until I got killed by the first animal I found, a bear.  My biggest gameplay complaint is that in char-gen, what the hell does all that stuff mean?

My biggest overall criticism is, what's with the doofy photos in every background?  I get that they wanted some images of gritty Norwegian survival, but did they have to use hardware store axes and rayon backpacks?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 07:12:29 pm »

I wasn't impressed, but I just played the demo for a bit until I got killed by the first animal I found, a bear.  My biggest gameplay complaint is that in char-gen, what the hell does all that stuff mean?

My biggest overall criticism is, what's with the doofy photos in every background?  I get that they wanted some images of gritty Norwegian survival, but did they have to use hardware store axes and rayon backpacks?

Totally agree.  It's like a couple geeks went into the forest with crappy costumes and took pictures of them playing as vikings.

The game-play is pretty fun once you get the hang of it though.  I hunted down a deer and it was a pretty epic battle...er...hunt.  I kept shooting it with arrows and it kept falling down, then it would start running again, dropping blood.  A lot like DF I guess.

MeshGearFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 05:32:19 pm »

I get that they wanted some images of gritty Norwegian survival,

Finnland.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 02:03:58 am »

A new version of this just released, looks like lots of nice changes. Graphics overhaul and some AI improvements. It's no longer possible to trap a Stag in a bunch of trees and beat it to death with your fists - now they run around trees and move faster than you. I've still been able to sneak up close with an axe, but if you don't kill it in a swing or two it's gone. I did kill one out of 5, though - sliced its head off with the battleaxe after sneaking up to it :)
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Gradir

• Bay Watcher
  • https://discord.gg/A2aDA9N3p3
    • View Profile
    • Quetzal Studios
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 11:16:41 pm »

...at least they are going out to the forest, and doing something, not like sitting on a chair and pretending to be a viking virtually... :P
the game is great, it has many nice features such as temperature with layered clothing, and the survival part, which is, actually the sense of the game is great. But its pretty boring, too, without anything specific for your character to do.
It could be great with multiplayer, heh. At least you would have someone to talk to, not just trees around

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2008, 09:23:04 pm »

Oh, bloody hell, I just have to share it:
I played for a while on a trial version, got a character who started as an escapee from a slave camp, he managed to steal a knife and some dried meat before he had to run, then after some weeks in the wild, when he ate all his stolen food, tried to kill a sheep. Even though he managed to stab one to death, he got wounded so badly, that he failed to heal before those newly acquired food supplies ran out, so in the end he was crawling(leg disabled) around in the forest looking for something alive and slow moving to kill somehow(there are no turtles in Finnland, aparently), when - a miracle - he stumbled upon a fellow adventurer, resting. As the game didn't provide an option to ask for help, he just crawled closer and killed the poor bugger in his sleep. He survived on human flesh for a while, but then a bear came across. Running was not an option, as the leg was still wounded, so the game ended soon after that.
Conclusions:
1.Meeting people in the wild is a good thing.
2.Karma is a bitch.
3.I played it some years back, it wasn't until I stumbled upon DF, that I managed to laugh so much at such a gruesome stuff.
Pages: 1 [2]