Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: UnReal World, anyone?  (Read 4317 times)

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
UnReal World, anyone?
« on: September 26, 2008, 08:50:48 pm »

http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html
Heard of this a couple of years ago, but only got to play it recently. An interesting RPG set in ancient northern Europe. Your goal is simply to survive, by hunting, fishing, farming, etc. Don't forget to get warm for winter.
I actually ran into DF when someone on their forum mentioned it. Now that DF/M&B/URW are my top 3 games, but URW seems far less popular than the other two. It really deserves more.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UnReal World, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 09:13:14 pm »

I'm bored. I'm going to try it out - If they really did the whole fight to survive thing well, it could be really awsome. I've only seen about 2 games pull it off, and even in those you could get it set up eventually so that you would get truckloads of food without even trying and spend all your time killing deer for fighting skill :(

Is this free? These sites never say nuthin'!
If I ever make one of these games, I will just flat out say on the homepage "This is a top down RPG with zombies and guns. There are action points and health points. There is a one week free trial. You need to download this and register."
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 09:17:56 pm by Wooty »
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Vodalian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 10:09:45 pm »

Nah, it's shareware. The full version costs like $3 or something. It's an alright game, but I personally never really cared much for it. I don't really like the feel of it.

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 07:52:32 am »

same here, tryied ot but, meh

i guess i would jst rather survive in DF adv mode

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 09:23:29 am »

Its an ok little game with interesting gameplay elements. I would prefer to have some fantasy setting instead of this finnish stuff to be honest.  :)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 05:56:49 pm »

I've downloaded this game like 3 times in the past and could never get past the high learning curve.

I'm trying once again, the tutorial is actually pretty helpful.  I could see how it would be a lot of fun, but it takes a huge amount of determination to get into.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 06:48:06 pm »

I've downloaded this game like 3 times in the past and could never get past the high learning curve.

I'm trying once again, the tutorial is actually pretty helpful.  I could see how it would be a lot of fun, but it takes a huge amount of determination to get into.

Eh, that's like DF, so no excuses for us forumgoers!

Pretty fun, though seems simplistic in some places, though thoroughly defined in others.

AmberMac

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 05:08:17 pm »

I own the Single Major Version.. And Ive played it for about 3 months now, It isn't that much of a learning curve as DF was, Gosh o.O Anyway, The longest Ive survived is like.. 3 years.. Until i was hunting and a pack of elk wounded me mortally, And i then died from severe injuries and then freezing to death (I was far away from my cabin >_>)
"As soon as life start, It ends, there is no meaning, But to live your years, Turn into mulch for the next generation."

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 05:47:05 pm »

This might seem elitest of me, but from studying the FOTF, it seems like DF might one day rival unreal world in adventure mode, though I can't tell what might happen between now and then.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 11:30:29 pm »

The last thread ain't even a month old yet.

Anyways, it's a very buggy, unpolished and horribly unbalanced game with a 40 dollar pricetag and a very ugly interface.

Edit:  Vodalian, the 'full version' I would consider to be the lifetime registration, since having to re-buy the game with every update and patch is just asinine.   It's currently 55USD.   But you can spend 3 dollars for a key for the current version.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 11:33:02 pm by Capntastic »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 08:32:07 am »

This might seem elitest of me, but from studying the FOTF, it seems like DF might one day rival unreal world in adventure mode, though I can't tell what might happen between now and then.

Yeah Im pretty sure about that also, if Toady can code in everything what he wanted at least.  :)

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 10:50:55 am »

Strange. I'm quite sure I did a search before posting, but nothing. Wrong options perhaps.
Apparently a new version will be out in October, and people are suggesting making the game moddable on the forum (citing DF's txt files! ;D). It may never approach the level of complexity of DF, but, well, it's fun and creative enough.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 03:12:25 pm »

I actually bought the 5$ single version game, I enjoy it. The concept of surviving, making clothing from animals, finding food, trading, etc. is pretty cool and fairly well programmed. The interface is pretty poor, but it's pretty cool. Did you know some people pay something around 50 bucks as a life-time pass? I doubt they'd play 10 versions of the game, as each version has about 5 releases, which take a  month or two to complete. So, unless you planned on playing for years, that is a crap-tol-a waste of money.

AmberMac

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 05:31:34 pm »

Hey!! Im Ambz on URW Forums, Im still trying to figure out how to make cord, Lmao
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:37:19 pm by AmberMac »
"As soon as life start, It ends, there is no meaning, But to live your years, Turn into mulch for the next generation."

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 06:56:37 pm »

I pad $43 for a lifetime registration, and so far, even with just a couple major versions since I paid, it's been fully worth it. UrW gives me something to kill time with, and the amount of fun to be had is pretty proportionate to the things you're willing to do to make gameplay tougher on yourself, much like DF.

Sami responds to feedback very well, many things involving balance and even a couple new mechanics have made it in because of feedback I have given during beta-testing. It's nice to watch the game grow and evolve the way it has been. To top it off, the game has already been in development for 10+ years. I know I'll get my money's worth. If he's already spent as long as he has working on it, the odds of him deciding to one day give it up are slim to none. He does it because he loves it, and because of that, I get an awesome game to play in my spare time.
This is not a signature.
Pages: [1] 2