Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 49

Author Topic: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions  (Read 135024 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions
« Reply #660 on: November 20, 2009, 01:54:45 am »

Wait, backpack? Do they actually use backpacks in the fortress mode? I haven't produced one because they always haul just one thing. But do they put their belongings inside, or what? Or do you make it "for fun/flavor"?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: November 20, 2009, 07:36:04 am »

I recall that backpacks can be used by military dwarves to hold a food ration so that they can stay on patrol for longer at a stretch. Whose working on this at the moment, I am half-tempted to make another attempt at a fortress, but I doubt I will, without pressure plates I couldn't practically make my waterworks horror...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: November 20, 2009, 08:27:10 am »

Yeah, set them to "carry one/two rations" in their squad preferences and they will equip backpacks if available and put food in them.

So if they get hungry on duty, they eat whats in their bag rather then running off to the stockpiles.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: November 20, 2009, 10:20:13 am »

Well, im 'working' on this at the moment, but im running into a lot of problems being unable to use pressure plates. The best traps I can make now are just things like doors behind pressuresed magma.

Also, a question, can adventurers see through glass doors and other non-window furniture? Because I know they cant see through glass walls.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: November 20, 2009, 03:14:24 pm »

And is there anyway at all to make a perpetually repeating spike trap?

And sorry, but I don't have a clue what adventurers can see
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: November 20, 2009, 03:18:23 pm »

repeating spike trap? I'm not sure of the exact design, but I believe it involves water, pumps, and pressure plates. There might be a repeater design on the wiki.

furniture that can be walked over can be seen "through" AFAIK. I duno about glass stuff... I don't think the transparency is simulated yet.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: November 20, 2009, 03:41:46 pm »

Yep, but apparently pressure plates don't work in adventure mode, I don't really do adventure mode, so I wouldn't know, but from what I cave been told the repeater wouldn't work, and I would want something a bit more complicated so that OI could have the spikes trigger in an intricate pattern.
Read the First Post!

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: November 20, 2009, 03:58:11 pm »

unless your adventurer's willing to stand and pull a lever, pressure plates are the only option.

WE NEED A EXPERIMENT:
test if pressure plates work in adv. mode! You will have to enable traps in the init.txt. Some say this works, some say they don't work even then. I have never tried myself. WE NEED SCIENCE!
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: November 20, 2009, 10:46:44 pm »

unless your adventurer's willing to stand and pull a lever, pressure plates are the only option.

WE NEED A EXPERIMENT:
test if pressure plates work in adv. mode! You will have to enable traps in the init.txt. Some say this works, some say they don't work even then. I have never tried myself. WE NEED SCIENCE!

I've heard you get an error message and then DF crashes. I've also heard that it just plain glitches up. Either way, you should still test it for SCIENCE!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: November 21, 2009, 01:11:14 am »

I thought that it was disabled because when you're caught in a cage trap there's no way out. I haven't heard about any crashes.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 21, 2009, 01:56:46 am »

There is an option in the settings to just turn off traps, but due to the nature of this project everyone should be making very certain that there are no effectively lethal traps in the world. The real question is, if you turn on traps in the settings, will pressure plates be triggered by chatacters? water? magma? and will the trigger doors/floodgates/etc. while in adventurer mode?
Read the First Post!

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: November 23, 2009, 02:14:47 pm »

Is anyone currently working on a fortress? Because I would love to get in on this.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: November 23, 2009, 06:25:31 pm »

Well, im 'working' on this at the moment, but im running into a lot of problems being unable to use pressure plates. The best traps I can make now are just things like doors behind pressuresed magma.

Also, a question, can adventurers see through glass doors and other non-window furniture? Because I know they cant see through glass walls.
Read the First Post!

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: November 24, 2009, 12:30:10 pm »

I downloaded the save yesterday and played a bit, but was quickly pwned by tentacle demons before I saw the outer walls of the fortress (actually i killed three, the fourth got lucky).  Whoever's fortress is all the way on the right near the top, screw you :D
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: November 24, 2009, 02:20:28 pm »

Oh my.

Pressure plates DO NOT work at all, don't waste your time, they simply disappear in Adv. mode.

Someone count how many times we've gone over this?

Edit: For that matter, neither do any ^ trap. Only options are lever and door.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 04:03:01 pm by yougiedeggs »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 49