Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 49

Author Topic: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions  (Read 135071 times)

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
Re: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions
« Reply #480 on: May 07, 2009, 09:42:08 pm »

Unfortunately I must leave for a week, but I've uploaded the world with what I have finished.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=975

If you want to see what I did, it's in the southeastern corner of the world in that tiny mountain range. Don't expect to be able to do much with regards to puzzle solving.

this is the save you should be using. the one on the front page may not be updated. im currently up for a turn, ironicly right at the start of this thread, when i had several days a week with nothing to do but fill the world with green glass towers and artificial canyons and giant castles and bridges was when everyone was clamoring for a go, then passing.

ive got some free time now, so pm me when you guys need another person. there are several bits of mountain/river combos ive been eying off that look great for some of the ideas i have.

edit: there are no dwarven civs in the game, they all got wiped out in world gen, though when i looked there were a few peasants hanging around in the ruins of some of the old dwarf mountainhomes. the game will generate migrants and some nobles, but you wont get caravans and i dont think you will get a king. there are only 2 or 3 actual friendly towns in the bottom right corner of the map. its a very hostile world.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 10:30:54 pm by Cheshire Cat »

Jakkarra

« Reply #481 on: May 08, 2009, 01:31:31 am »

dont worry, ill fix those "friendly" towns if  get a go.

on a more serious note, think we should build some little ouposts for adventurers to stop at?

love, jakkarra

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 08, 2009, 02:02:38 am »

be careful about messing with the friendly towns. you need them to start off your adventurer at. and also, im pretty sure that embarking on a town will still break all the shops as of this version, so unless you test it and confirm it wont, then its probably best not to go messing around with them. i was wanting to add sewer systems and such in the one biggish human town and fill them with caged nasty things, but i dont want to break the ability for adventurers to use the town shops.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #483 on: May 09, 2009, 11:52:23 pm »

That is the save, it's the same one as on the front page.

And I'm working on it. I hope you like mazes!

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #484 on: May 11, 2009, 04:01:02 pm »

Sound the trumps! Cobracanyon is finished!

I think it's somewhere in the south tundra, by a glacier. Might be slightly difficult to find aboveground, but look for a 3x3 tower.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1017

If you're frustrated by the maze, just follow the native copper vein and keep going down.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 04:44:18 pm by Kishmond »

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 12, 2009, 07:46:43 am »

so... tempted.... to.... steal... jakaras.... turn....

Jakkarra

« Reply #486 on: May 12, 2009, 09:29:18 am »

have it cheshire, ill ask for another one later...

still in planning phase.

love, jakkarra

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: May 12, 2009, 06:27:09 pm »

hooray! i have tomorrow off work, so ill ramp up the dwarves to 1 speed with no eat or sleep, and crank out one or two world wonders. pity you just cant disable the pause anouncement thing, you can never leave something bulding without having it pause 10 seconds after you walked away because someone gave birth.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 12, 2009, 10:16:37 pm »

You can turn off birth...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Jakkarra

« Reply #489 on: May 13, 2009, 01:47:13 am »

im sure there is an option to turn off announcements, either in the inits or game options.

could you please check if there are any deserts left?

also, if i get a second go, id like to use an oceon tile. ill use an island if there is one, need to find someway to get peoples from place to place...

love, jakkarra

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 13, 2009, 08:45:31 am »

plenty of deserts, with and without aquifers, frozen and non frozen, and you can find magma vents poking out of the surface everywhere. the temperature variance on this map is insane, such that you can have a scorching desert and a freezing tundra in one standard embark. so deserts change from sweltering to snow covered, with brooks that suddenly turn to ice. i embarked upon some to have a look, its like there is literally a line drawn across the area where the snow starts, and water freezes on one side and boils on the other. it is completely iretarded, its like looking at the surface of mercury where the light side meets the dark. also, somewhere along the line the last elf forest retreat fell to the demon onslaught, so i may stick a bunch of adventurers in the last remaining human town to bolster its defences a bit before i really get into the swing of my turn. otherwise there will be nobody left to play as except the goblins.

there is only one smallish terrifying ocean to the far west of the map with mostly forests along the shores, and no islands at all. i went looking carefully along the coast because building a stupidly giant bridge to a walled island fort was one of my ideas. there were plenty of seaside brooks and lots of caves along the shores, with a reasonable variance of biomes considering how small the ocean is.

ive taken the volcano directly beneath the last free human settlement in the very bottom right corner. it has the biggerst cliffs ive ever found directly, and i lucked out and got a chasm that actually has little windows looking out of the steep hill side. there are LOTS of other magma vents everywhere for people that want them, and my site has no HFS or flux.

using tweaks embark cheat lets you embark somewhere with 50 proficient masons and as much stone as you want. no quarrying, you can just raise a castle out of the ground anywhere, but you need to put the save in a straight 40d version of DF for it to work. im using all the nosleep noeat tags, but does anyone know how to make the dwarves speed 1? could not find out how after a forum and wiki search.

edit: pictures, courtesy of imageshack. urk.

cliffs, from down low
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
cliffs looking down from the top. chasm runs inside these hills paralel to the cliff face here, and has a few holes where chasm creatures have spilled out, though they are nearly impossible to see.
very quick mspaint plan of possible megaproject?

ive done huge dams before. biggest issue is waiting for them to fill, specially with magma. takes forever. if i can turn off births/messages then leaving it overnight would work. my horde of dwarves are on site and digging big fancy many layered galleries to start with. suggestions anyone?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 09:05:07 am by Cheshire Cat »

Jakkarra

« Reply #491 on: May 13, 2009, 10:40:33 am »

there... arent... any... islands...

buggery,

ill have to Dload the Embark Anywhere mod, and make a really, really, REALLY large embarkment site that JUST touches land with some sort of bridge,

DO NOT READ THIS SPOILER IF YOU WANT TO PLAY MY FORT, PLEASE.
unless you don't care about spoilery goodness...

oh, and i want a desert (with some form of water, preferably an underground river) preferably with some fuel. this will assist my awesome (completely logical) LIGHTHOUSE OF DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

mmkay?

love, jakkarra

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 13, 2009, 02:42:58 pm »

mmkay?

love, jakkarra
This is the greatest quote ever.  And that lighthouse sounds pretty fun.  You hosting a party anytime soon?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 13, 2009, 05:23:01 pm »

you can allways embark on a coastal site, breach a stupidly big section of aquifer, then make your own artificial harbour.

Jakkarra

« Reply #494 on: May 14, 2009, 01:31:53 am »

you can allways embark on a coastal site, breach a stupidly big section of aquifer, then make your own artificial harbour.

the lighthouse is in the centre of the desert.

this is what makes it awesome.

Oh, and, zchrist, what do you mean by party?

love, jakkarra
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 49