Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 49

Author Topic: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions  (Read 135169 times)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions
« Reply #180 on: October 17, 2008, 07:03:36 pm »

Well, there's always Arkoth, god of Fate. We could make some sort of arbitrary symbol up and plaster it on things, I guess.

What kind of a symbol would a dwarf god of fate have? Does this fate refer to the day to day lives of the dwarves? Maybe an hourglass to represent the passing of time, or something like dice to represent chance. Or this could refer to a consequence of actions, or justice sort of way, in which something like a hammer or chain would be more appropriate. If it refers to a more final fate, IE death, then a skull or scythe would work. Or if it refers to the fate of the dwarven nation as a whole, a crown might do.

Of all of these, the hourglass strikes me as the best idea, but tell me what you think.

Alternatively, perhaps we should make the symbol an object we can actually build, then have that kind of item laying around or stockpiled in treasure chests.

Exactly what I was thinking. The crown, scythe, skull, hammer, and chain sound like really good ideas, too.

Here's that history part from the world we're using:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I highlighted Arkoth and some other stuff that I think could be interesting. The guy who's a god of courage, the night, dreams, and nightmares sounds like a god that we could make an awesome cathedral for, but it would probably have to have some deep metaphorical constructions to be as awesome as it could be.

We could go for a "Palace of X" thing, where we make themed dungeons. Like, The Palace of Chains (dun dun dun), with a chain on every wall or something. That would tie in with the Palace of Poisons, which is where Usmza Heatmenaces is in this world (I think). If we're going to do that, expanding the palace of poisons to a really impressive size and configuration would be cool, too, but we'd need to make sure the right person did it.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #181 on: October 17, 2008, 07:06:38 pm »

I just realized we're stuck on .40d for this whole project. Bummer.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 17, 2008, 07:17:19 pm »

Hey, no pressure at least. If we all screw up, we can just make a better one with the next version.

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 17, 2008, 10:24:57 pm »

A good abstract symbol for fate:
-<>-
you can deviate in the middle as far as you like but the end is the same.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The circle/wheel is always a classic too

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 17, 2008, 10:50:11 pm »

Palace of X? How about the palace of dreams? Dedicated to K rar, diety of courage, night, dreams, nightmares. I think I just found out what Im going to name my monument. Now I need to think up a good symbol for K rar. A crescent moon is the first thing that comes to mind, but ideas that dwarves could actually build include a harp or some sort of weapon or shield to symbolize courage.

Now thats not to say someone else cant do it as well. It would be interesting to see the different styles of monuments people might attribute to a particular deity. If someone else wanted to build something dedicated to K rar, thats fine by me.

As for the .40d issue, does that version have the ability to place more than one square of wall or floor at a time? cause my plans involve a ton of such constructs.

Lastly, can you encrust totems with gems? Thats starting to strike me as fitting for Arkoth, especially since the dwarves dont have a specific god of death.

Edit: I got beaten to the punch by the Professor. I do like that abstract symbol idea.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 10:52:12 pm by Fortis »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 17, 2008, 11:54:20 pm »

I'm thinking green glass spires and winding stairs for the dream-god. I might do that too. It'll be interesting to see what everyone associates with him.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 18, 2008, 12:09:06 am »

40d is the current version, so it does have the ability to place many tiles at once.

I definitely want to do a palace of nightmares.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 18, 2008, 12:14:42 am »

Well, we have a deity of fortresses and another deity of jewels. Those could definitely be interesting.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 18, 2008, 12:26:20 am »

K rar is going to have quite a dual nature.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 19, 2008, 10:05:05 am »

The night, dreams, nightmares and courage.

What I thought of, after a while of consideration, was Freddy Krueger.

I'm planning on making a rather interesting fortress, which might include a small church for all the gods.

EDIT: Finished a rough draft of the first level. I don't think it'll fly though.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 12:52:03 pm by Boksi »
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 19, 2008, 08:02:50 pm »

Any word from Cheetar?

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 22, 2008, 04:08:36 pm »

We haven't heard a word from him in this thread for three weeks. I say we skip him and move on to Sarath, if s/he is still interested, of course.

In fact, a time limit for starting your turn would be a good thing to have to prevent us from waiting on people who signed up and forgot about this project in the future. Three days from the PM from the last fortress manager would be more than enough time for someone to at least confirm that they have at least started choosing an embark site.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 04:14:12 pm by Jamini »
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 29, 2008, 08:15:38 pm »

We haven't heard a word from him in this thread for three weeks. I say we skip him and move on to Sarath, if s/he is still interested, of course.

In fact, a time limit for starting your turn would be a good thing to have to prevent us from waiting on people who signed up and forgot about this project in the future. Three days from the PM from the last fortress manager would be more than enough time for someone to at least confirm that they have at least started choosing an embark site.
I took the liberty of PMing Sarath. I'll let you know when or if I hear back from him/her.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 29, 2008, 08:39:08 pm »

How about this: We have a week. We have a second week if we post. We skip after a few days after no response and the deadline has passed.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 30, 2008, 02:30:52 pm »

Crud crud crud crud crud crud CRUD.[/b]

Gotta start designing more of the surprise! I've only got seven z-levels and they're not even completely finished! I'm not even halfway through!

At least I've done the biggest ones, I suppose...
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 49