Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 49

Author Topic: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions  (Read 135149 times)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2008, 03:10:11 pm »

Well, if it doesn't work it isn't a very big deal. Stuff probably shouldn't be trap-centric anyway, with the exception of a few thematically unique locations.

You could try reclaiming, also.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2008, 03:13:17 pm »

Tried reclaiming, didn't work.  It's mostly a pressure plate which is ruining my fort.  Its linked to about 20 floodgates, floor hatches and wall hatches and simply signals an apocalyptic amount of water.

To everyone else:  Make sure you have ADVENTURER_TRAPS:Yes set before you start your fortress!

5 hours of work wasted unless I can fix this somehow.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 03:15:05 pm by Qloos »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2008, 03:34:10 pm »

Try turning it on, then reclaiming an deconstructing the plate, then rebuilding it and linking it to all the floodgates.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2008, 03:55:14 pm »

That would probably take more work than starting from scratch, I'm skipping my turn.  My enthusiasm to get this done has taken a large blow from this and I need time to recover.

Stack me back on to the end of the list, I'll be feeling energetic then.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 04:04:27 pm by Qloos »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2008, 03:56:29 pm »

So, the next guy re-gens the world with adventurer traps on to see if that works?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2008, 04:43:45 pm »

I'll test to see if just starting a fort with it on works.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2008, 05:06:44 pm »

Okay, I think it'll work.

Edit: Ugh. Nevermind. Adventurer mode is basically unplayable. I can't even find the huge building that I put the trap in in a human town, much less walk without horrible, gamebreaking slowdowns.  :P
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 05:29:50 pm by inaluct »

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2008, 07:06:45 pm »

Well then, I suppose I'll get started. I'll make sure show traps is on when I start, but go ahead and test so we know what we're dealing with, cause I may take a couple days.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2008, 08:44:03 pm »

Well, I seriously can't find the trap. I recommend that someone who understands Adventurer mode test this.

I can't actually find the building it's in, either.

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2008, 11:00:53 am »

Hey please sign me up at the bottom of the list.

A shame i didn't see this post earlier, I spent all weekend on a fort for my adventurer to loot.  So far I have artifact adamantium chain mail, chain leggings, and a short sword.

Also I was wondering:

If you set up traps that released caged hostiles, will they be there for the adventurer?

Could you build a goblin fortress, train a fearsome legendary army, and then assault the town as a normal adventurer?

Also I think 'nature preservation' would be good for these projects.  Using a lot of cage traps to prevent killing the legendary invaders and megabeasts, then releasing them right before you abandon.
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2008, 11:10:48 am »

Hey please sign me up at the bottom of the list.

A shame i didn't see this post earlier, I spent all weekend on a fort for my adventurer to loot.  So far I have artifact adamantium chain mail, chain leggings, and a short sword.

Also I was wondering:

If you set up traps that released caged hostiles, will they be there for the adventurer?

Could you build a goblin fortress, train a fearsome legendary army, and then assault the town as a normal adventurer?

Also I think 'nature preservation' would be good for these projects.  Using a lot of cage traps to prevent killing the legendary invaders and megabeasts, then releasing them right before you abandon.
Sadly, the only things that survive after you abandon is your own dwarves (sometimes; not always) and megabeasts. I don't think building cages then releasing them in adventurer mode would work, either, but you're welcome to try.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2008, 01:11:41 pm »

Okay, guys, I won't be here for the next week and can neither update nor add anyone to the list.
I'd like someone (preferably Qloos, because he wrote the first answer in this thread) to modify his first post in this thread if a new version of the world gets uploaded.
Until then, see you later!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2008, 06:43:27 pm »

Okay, guys we need to figure out if changing the adventurer traps in the init will make it so new fortresses will have working traps, or if the world needs to be regen'd.

Alright, so can anybody verify that turning traps on after world gen works?

Alternately, can someone test it? I tried, but I'm woefully incompetent in adventurer mode and I couldn't do it.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2008, 07:59:31 pm »

I did a temp abandon and found that I can saunter straight through the traps I had set up. Damn it. I am pleased to report though that the portion of the dungeon I finished was full of troglodytes and ratmen. You don't think it's possible that one of them set off the trap? Should test with a cage trap and see if there's a trapped troggy inside.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2008, 08:01:33 pm »

A pressure plate might be good for testing, too, since pressure plates never break or need to be reset.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 49