Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49

Author Topic: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions  (Read 135003 times)

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
Re: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions
« Reply #705 on: January 25, 2010, 03:35:57 pm »

I think I'm after Grim, but go ahead, won't be doing much till exams are over :)
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 28, 2010, 01:43:48 pm »

Ugh ok, im having setback after setback with trying to create a machine that turns a frozen brook into an underground river.

As it turns out, water freezing behavious is quirky as hell. Magma doesnt actualy defreeze magma when its not moving around (the magma), water freezes only when exposed to light, 'light' tiles cannot be made into 'dark' tiles, but vica versa they can.

Also unfreezing part of a brook doesnt actualy make it an aquifer like water source.

My best result yet is a machine that makes 2 walls of ice a z-level below my brook. Makes for a nice way to train engravers and kill miners, but not much else.

Now trying to make it produce water by having it repeatedly freeze and unfreeze water, without using pressure plates.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: February 18, 2010, 11:22:15 am »

The new version approaches.  Any ideas for how we can organize the new world?

Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 18, 2010, 07:11:20 pm »

I say we make a small/medium size world in worldpainter. People request features before it's generated. This is will be harder becuase of the new map features though.

It could probably start once people have a general idea of the new version.
Meh.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: February 20, 2010, 07:43:42 pm »

This is an awesome idea. I heard that Toady's fixing traps for this next version so they can work in Adventure mode. If that's true, this shit's gonna get awesome-ER!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 20, 2010, 09:02:05 pm »

Now remember kids, randomly placing artefact traps with large numbers of artefact and adamantine weapons is not an elegant or clever way to kill adventurers.

I recall the current world of traps and attractions having issues with civilisations getting wiped out, this should be a serious consideration for future efforts...

If it were up to me I would probably void using mods, but this is the time to discuss the possibility.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 21, 2010, 12:01:41 am »

If i had the patience to do this, I'd probably just use weapon traps and magma floods. Is it possible to make a trap that's only triggered when an item is removed from its place, ala Indiana Jones?
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: February 21, 2010, 03:50:14 pm »

If i had the patience to do this, I'd probably just use weapon traps and magma floods. Is it possible to make a trap that's only triggered when an item is removed from its place, ala Indiana Jones?
So, you mean a giant room with a single artifact thing in the middle? You could place a pressure plate under the item, so that's basically what you want to happen. Mind you, it doesn't work in the current version.
The problem is that all items get scattered around everywhere once you abandon, heavier items get moved less. Thus, you should build a lead bin or mod in an even heavier metal to make bins from, designate a one-tile stockpile that allows one bin and only the artifact and that should work.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: February 21, 2010, 05:33:40 pm »

Yeah, no significant modding sounds like a good idea. Just being able to drop the world into a clean DF install would probably increase our audience by a fair amount.  Limit developers to speed boosting dwarves and the item corpse cheat for stuff that absolutely can't be made on site. 

The heavy bin trick always works. If you absolutely must have a treasure chamber with loose gems, absolutely sealing off it from every edge of the map with closed, lever operated doors works.  So does requiring the player to swim underwater to reach it.

Adamantine weapons are a strange and special case, unless they are in a bin it doesn't matter what you do to lock them up, they completely and absolutely disappear from the map.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: February 21, 2010, 07:41:49 pm »

Adamantine weapons are a strange and special case, unless they are in a bin it doesn't matter what you do to lock them up, they completely and absolutely disappear from the map.
Are you sure about this? Did you reclaim and search for them or did you search an incredibly large area as an adventurer? If you did the latter, it's (kind of) proven. The former, however, only shows that adamantine items get scattered like you wouldn't believe it which makes sense, considering how ridiculously lightweight adamantine is.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 21, 2010, 08:38:19 pm »

So if you put something non-adamantine behind a lever locked door you can force the adventurer to pull the lever to get the item, if the lever happens to do something else...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: February 22, 2010, 01:10:37 am »

Are you sure about this? Did you reclaim and search for them or did you search an incredibly large area as an adventurer? If you did the latter, it's (kind of) proven. The former, however, only shows that adamantine items get scattered like you wouldn't believe it which makes sense, considering how ridiculously lightweight adamantine is.

2x2 fortress area with a huge stockpile of adamantine (masterwork and artifact) weapons and armour underwater and behind locked doors with bones for decoration.

Going there with adventurers I found about half of the armour clear down in the glowing pit area itself, but none of the weapons were findable anywhere in the embark area.  None of the bones from inside the locked chamber had moved an inch.

And no, it isn't conclusive, but I've also tested it with steel and copper weapons as well as various other junk and they stay put perfectly fine. It's only adamantine weapons that displays that degree of autonomous mobility.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 22, 2010, 03:00:38 am »

So, if i wanted a static treasure zone, I would have to make them heavy enough (dumping my nice Adamantine shortswords in a bin of lead and whatever) or put them behind locked doors?
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: February 22, 2010, 09:14:00 am »

Light objects get strewn around, heavy ones dont. Adamantine is preposterously light, so it gets strewn around a lot. It also seems that some item types never move, regardless of their weight. Some which I noticed are: stones, logs, bars and corpses (not corpse parts or bones though)

Just put your items in bins weighing at least 1000 dwarf weights. Lead works well, though platinum or gold might be more to your taste.

Locking stuff behind doors doesnt do a thing for me, though making parts of a fortress inaccesable to adenturers does seem to stop things from being strewn around there.

Also, more valuable items seem to prefer being strewn around underground. Not sure what the exact limit is.

And lastely a progress report!
Well not much progress to be honest. I got my fancy entrance up, as well as most of digging work for the fortress, but attempts to get an infinite source of water have been numerous but failing constantly. I keep running into problems with water freezing in the wrong places, and magma evaporating too quickly while I am unable to replace it in the delicately balanced water making machine. Party due to the lack of pressure plates.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: February 27, 2010, 09:48:39 am »

For the new version, I suggest you do so without modding, yes. I would totally have joined this, except when I originally read about it waaaay back when you started, my impression was that you were modding it to include heavy cheats which would essentially make DF mode unplayable, to make adventure mode more fun.

If you just had people build the fortress in legit ways, it would enhance dwarf mode and adventurer mode, since the former would have more history to work with via engravings (or things to reclaim if you loose in sufficiently awesome ways), and adventurer mode would have stuff to explore.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49