Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 49

Author Topic: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions  (Read 135056 times)

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions
« Reply #525 on: June 11, 2009, 01:10:03 am »

how do we make unlimited adamantine? I tried extracting it and it says I need ore and I tried smelting it and it said I need wafers
Of course, why else would dwarves risk life and limb to retrive one sock during a full scale siege onslaught.
The depressing thing is that they quite often lose life and limb(s) in the process.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 11, 2009, 01:51:25 am »

It worked fine for me when I dl'd the files to play around with and make a crazy equipped adamantine spiker (he throws spiked balls and is covered in armour, serious juggernaut material).

Try taking out reagents and fuel from the reactions.

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 11, 2009, 02:03:41 am »

yeah I got it

but one more thing, if I channel water from a river, drop it down a few z-levels and run it through tunnels under my bedrooms can I get it to move back up?

it goes down 3 levels and moves about 300 squares
Of course, why else would dwarves risk life and limb to retrive one sock during a full scale siege onslaught.
The depressing thing is that they quite often lose life and limb(s) in the process.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 11, 2009, 02:05:20 am »

That should pressurize it plenty.
Remember, there's no friction in DF.
Lack of friction means the water does not lose energy.
As long as the exit point is not higher than the entry, it will burst forth.
It's like a rollercoaster.

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 11, 2009, 02:08:27 am »

I just need it to move up about 2 levels so I can pump it

so sweet!

EDIT: don;t read the spoiler if you are going to try out the fort
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

REDIT: I might take a little longer than I hoped I just ambushed by goblins and lost 5 of my dorfs, I'm not going to restart because im doing too well,

REREDIT: ok, wow, it just crashed on me, I never saved... luckily I have enough caffeine in me to stay up til tomorrow so I have 6 hours til I pass out and then I have all day til I pass out over my keyboard again, then I have work on friday then I have all weekend from I wake up til when I pass out so I will have it done by monday
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 05:07:43 am by sausage »

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 11, 2009, 05:44:25 am »

the business end of a tentacle demon.

Every end of a tentacle demon is the business end of a tentacle demon. It laughs at global recession.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 11, 2009, 06:57:27 am »

Every end of a tentacle demon is the business end of a tentacle demon. It laughs at global recession.
That is not all it does to a globe of recesses...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 11, 2009, 07:33:54 am »

HAH! I've found a new sig quote.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 11, 2009, 09:23:38 am »

And if you run out of dwarves then you should probably reclaim...

Especially with a carp filled river, with 4-5 pages of carp and such fish you get the maximum reclaim size, 70 dwarves. ;D

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 13, 2009, 01:37:03 am »

ok, so if I make this a REALLY long dungeon that requires you to survive 4 sections of dangerously *wet* of dungeons and pull a lever in each to open the last room in which you get treasure is that ok?

it might get kind of redundant...

and one more question, how do you make it so all the items in the treasure room stay there? I tried sealing it, but that didnt work

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 13, 2009, 01:42:53 am »

I've heard that putting it all in a lead (or some other really heavy material) bin can help.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 13, 2009, 01:54:25 am »

how would I make sure it is using the lead bin instead a wood one and how would I make sure its what I want in it instead of useless junk?

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 13, 2009, 01:57:31 am »

I really don't know, never tried it myself.

You could make a lot of lead bins... and/or temp. forbid all the other bins... might try dump/reclaim to get what you want out of whatever bin it's in... luck...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 13, 2009, 01:40:22 pm »

Forbid all non-lead bins, then set up the stockpile. And if you want to get items out...just make a one square dump, then select the tiems in the bin you want to dump. If you want to get rid of most/all the itme,s mass dump the bins  and then remove the designation from the bins MANUALLY-all the stuff in them will be dumped, but the bins themselves won't.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 14, 2009, 09:34:28 am »

so wait, my turn has been supersceded? blarg, oh well, i was taking a while. and just when i figured out using map reveal would stop all the annoying "you have struck uselessite" messages which had delayed me.

i was conisdering doing a completely stupid hand drawn and caligraphy catalogue of all the forts waaayyyyy back when this thread first started, and i was unemployed, miserable, and looking for something to do that would fill the endless time i had and recapture the feeling of some of the artsy things i used to do as a teenager (i did a bunch of illustrated kids books that i allways intended to polish up for publishing but never ever did. they are long gone now) at the time such a project was well within my power, but this thread has been such slow going with all the forts taking so long to appear that life went on for me, and now as i have a job and do a whole lot more socializing i have nowhere near the time.

if sausage isnt too far into his turn i can post my save with my incomplete fort and he can use that world, i have a LOT of digging done and some huge hollowed out areas inside the mountains, as in, 30 z levels of empty with a chasm at the bottom and little bridges here and there, which currently lead to nowhere. if hes well into something then dont worry, ive figured out how to do fast projects of that size now without the message slowdown, and i did all the difficult experimentation and planning. if the site is still free in a few turns time i can do it again in a more timely manner.

its very easy to create caveins for adventure mode. you can even make areas that can only be accessed through caveins making holes in the floor which you need to jump into. all you need is a section of stone which is only held up with supports, and that those supports are linked to a lever. removing the supports causes the stone to fall. instant cavein. i think that supports made of non magma safe material will collapse if exposed to magma, so there is another option for you right there. i havent personally tested this, but aparently large solid sections of rock can survive falling with internal passages intact, but everyting inside dies. be careful not to create a scenario where an adventurer can possibly change the landscape so they get trapped somewhere stupid, especially in your reward room. that would be very frustating.

as i said before in previous posts, the tweak utility works in DF 40d, you can give yourself 50 starting dwarves and enough steel bars on embark to create a metal techno tower of doom without needing to even dig. after you embark you can stick your save back into a 40d11 version. and adding the tag [SPEED:1] to dwarves makes them super duper fast. so things get done really quick.

good luck there sausage. may you create awesomeness.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 49