Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 49

Author Topic: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions  (Read 135117 times)

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
Re: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions
« Reply #300 on: December 12, 2008, 05:09:31 pm »

Boksi has some really awesome ideas, but he's taking extremely long.
I hate to do this, but if he doesn't post anything in this thread in the next three days, he gets skipped, okay?
Someone should write him a PM. I'm using the DS Browser which is pretty damn annoying.

You are now Pretty Awesome, or in DF terms, *person* (can't get those alt-0105 stars now...).
1: You have Fawful on your avatar.
2: You use the the DS browser.
3: References to both the Most Awesome game and the Most Awesome book in your signature.
* Vlynndar bows.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 12, 2008, 05:29:19 pm »

Thank you, Vlynndar. =) I get everything but the book reference. What's the book you're talking about?

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 12, 2008, 07:08:00 pm »

I PMed Boski, and it sounds like we should move on to the next person in line.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 13, 2008, 05:55:27 am »

hurrrr. can we set a one week time limit on everyone? and then they pass it on, regardless of how finished it is? even having half done ruins and monoliths scattered around the world would be better then nothing. also, can we get confirmation from whoever is next? theres a lot of people on the list, and unfortunately some of them have probably dropped out and lost interest due to the amount of time that has passed.

for problems like boski's where you need to do something crazy huge, i would suggest editing the speed of dwarfs down to a really low number.

and also, im intending to use the stuff available in the tweak utility and embark anywhere, and i would reccomend these to peope for fixing terrible mistaks and generally speeding things up a bit. embarking over bits of your old fortress doesnt seem to work that great, due to the way DF stores old fortress sites, but you can still do things like make tunnels deep into the mountains and place forts there in retarded clifffaces. also embarking on towns and things breaks the shops, unfortunately.

tweak's default modules lets you do things like embark with 50 dwarves and as much stuff as you want. so if like boski you need a few thousand wooden blocks for that statue of yourself visible from the mood, then you may as well embark with them. it also has tile edit, so you can edit tile properties and things. better then tile edit is 'for each tile', its fantastic for instantly creating giant magma pools and lakes and things. you can edit anything from mud to vomit to trees, and create aquifer and brook tiles, so you could if you wanted to do underground brooks which flow into chasms. all fantastic, but cant seem to get 'for each tile' going with 40d.

tweak -
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Rick/Tweak

for each tile (requires tweak, i cant get it going in 40d though aparently its doable) -
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/User:Exponent/For_Each_Tile
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 06:07:52 am by Cheshire Cat »

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 13, 2008, 06:28:17 am »

First of all, /me actually works? Fun!

Thank you, Vlynndar. =) I get everything but the book reference. What's the book you're talking about?

The book is The Book. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. The quote in your sig seems to reference it. Without spoiling too much,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 14, 2008, 06:17:10 pm »

Bah. I can't get the save to work. I extracted it to my saves folder, even tried renaming it to region11 instead of region9001, but it didn't work. Any help?

skoondi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 15, 2008, 12:51:10 am »

This is a great idea, hope it keeps going. If I get better at Dwarf Fortress and get a new computer so I can play adventure mode without massive slowdown I'd contribute.

I have to agree with this:
If only there was a way to combine worlds so more people could work on this at once.

This has the potential to make adventure mode so much more interesting

I notice that all the other threads for games of this type that I could find seem to peter out after a while see: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19248.0 and http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=16106.0 for example.

Now seems like a good time to try and do this as the next update would appear to be a while away.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 04:34:12 am by skoondi »

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 15, 2008, 10:54:25 pm »

Well, of course you can, but don't expect to get the save in the next few days. Or weeks, for that matter.

yea put me down im not going anywhere, and if anyone has seen my earlier work...i have some great ideas and it wont take a week to do even.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 16, 2008, 06:23:15 pm »

Then, it shall be so! Boksi's skipped and it's inaluct's turn.
It's pretty damn late here where I live, so I won't write the PM today. But tomorrow, I will!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 16, 2008, 08:09:14 pm »

to make up for lost time, someone should do like, 20 demon pit forts....just to release demons into the world.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 16, 2008, 11:34:33 pm »

No need to PM me. I'll get on it.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 18, 2008, 04:38:12 pm »

It's been too long for me to have much enthusiasm with this project, with recent developments I don't really have time for it either.

Please remove me from the list.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 21, 2008, 11:25:45 pm »

Bah. I can't get the save to work. I extracted it to my saves folder, even tried renaming it to region11 instead of region9001, but it didn't work. Any help?

Can someone re-upload the modified raw file(s) so that newcomers can use the save? The page four download (last one with them) was taken down.

PLEASE?!
I want to be murdered in tomb-raider-esque traps as an adventurer.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 22, 2008, 01:00:19 pm »

Quick question: is the save link in the OP current? I'd like to adventure through what's been created.

EDIT: I duno if this issue was resolved, but i (think i) figured out why pressure plates don't work in adv. mode: they're traps.

EDIT2: Will I need moded raws to play adv. mode?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 01:13:07 pm by SolarShado »
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 22, 2008, 03:18:19 pm »

Quick question: is the save link in the OP current? I'd like to adventure through what's been created.
I think it is.

EDIT2: Will I need moded raws to play adv. mode?
Yes, hence the last couple questions about them.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 49