Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 49

Author Topic: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions  (Read 135129 times)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions
« Reply #270 on: November 25, 2008, 01:10:35 pm »

Well, since the people demand it, screw sensibility, I'M GOING IN! RAWR!

EDIT: Wait, do windmills require an open space above them to work or something? I'm not getting enough power here!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 01:13:19 pm by Boksi »
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 25, 2008, 01:57:36 pm »

cant you walk over brooks though?

If the only way in is an underground water-filled tunnel that taps a brook directly with no open channel, it would be inaccessible.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 25, 2008, 02:55:37 pm »

Boski, here is the power chamber I use:

Floor 1, channel the entire space under the waterwheels.  Levers, left to right, floodgate and mechanism above pump.  I disconnect the pump to left a dwarf fill the area, then connect the pump.  Next open the floodgate.  You can close the floodgate once power is initiated, but it will need to be open for power to initiate for adventurers.

Lining up the stairs should give you all the details.  Oddly the floodgate got the wrong symbol when I created it in a smelter, it looks like some bars.  Yes that is a waterwheel over on the left blocking the passage.  Don't expect that trick to last for too many versions because it is actually a bug.

Total power 5000.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 26, 2008, 08:05:14 am »

there wasn't that much to see - just a rectangular tower over a brook with block fortifications letting you see the stairs down inside. normally no, you cant swim in brooks, they have that invisible forcefield over the top of them that simulates a shallow bubbling brook that can be waded in.

however this one had a channel taking water underground somewhere (underground access blocked by a floodgate) which you could jump into, and from there you could swim under the invisible skin of the brook. however, as soon as i got under there i started drowning.

from under the skin, using the alt key, you can choose to move back up onto the top of the skin. so you could ostensibly drown your way into the tower, and with luck climb your way out of the middle of the brook back onto its walkable surface.

so, either the creator thought you could swim in a brook like normal to get in, there was another proper entrance somewhere in the surrounding hills i didn't find, or, what is more likely on reflection, there was a metal door somewhere in the walls that i mistook for a piece of block fortifications because of the new tileset i got in preparation for adventuring.... regardless, the other fort there was fun, if a little full of death by drowning.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 26, 2008, 08:27:22 am »

there wasn't that much to see - just a rectangular tower over a brook with block fortifications letting you see the stairs down inside. normally no, you cant swim in brooks, they have that invisible forcefield over the top of them that simulates a shallow bubbling brook that can be waded in.

however this one had a channel taking water underground somewhere (underground access blocked by a floodgate) which you could jump into, and from there you could swim under the invisible skin of the brook. however, as soon as i got under there i started drowning.

It always tags you as "drowning" if there's not air directly over your head.

It is impossible to swim under the brook. As I said, I have actually tried this from a location where I would have access. Think of it as a wall that water is flowing through, not a floor that water is flowing under.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 26, 2008, 08:55:46 am »

Using waterwheels instead of windmills will, and I don't say this lightly, fucking ruin all the motherfucking aesthetics of the whole clusterfucking thing.

EDIT: Plus, I don't have any water.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 26, 2008, 03:27:30 pm »

Oddly the floodgate got the wrong symbol when I created it in a smelter, it looks like some bars.

Is it glass? Some glass furniture has different symbols.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 26, 2008, 05:13:46 pm »

Nah, the smelter reaction was set to use adamantine.  The axels and waterwheels in that post are adamantine wood.  I working on how to produce ice right now, but may have to live with water.  That is right, I figured out how to make a smelter reactions to create whatever out of water.  My goal is to actually make things that disappear properly so I am currently testing water blocks.

Boski, WTF do you need power for if you have no water?!  The only thing power can do for you is operate pumps, and the only things to pump are water and magma.  If you are working with magma then having adamantine wood sounds like it might be helpful.  The smelter recation to produce 20 pieces is
[PRODUCT:100:20:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
You can always stick the perpetual motion power generator off in an out of the way spot to hide it from an adventurerer.

Other useful recations:
[PRODUCT:100:20:GRATE:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
[PRODUCT:100:20:HATCH_COVER:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
[PRODUCT:100:20:DOOR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
[PRODUCT:100:30:TRAPPARTS:NO_SYBTYPE:STONE:BAUXITE]
[PRODUCT:100:20:FLOODGATE:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
[PRODUCT:100:20:TRAPCOMP:ITEM_TRAPCOMP_ENORMOUSCORKSCREW:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
[PRODUCT:100:20:PIPE_SECTION:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 26, 2008, 11:47:46 pm »

Since I'm not going to be in this, I'll share my idea. There is a fortress closed off with a floodgate, with a lever in front of it. You pull the lever and the ground you are on (which is connected to by bridges, so they don't give support) crumbles. You fall 1 or 2 z levels, and find yourself trapped on top of a long stairway down. You go down to the bottom, and have to fight your way back up to the top before the magma/water also triggered by your lever pulling killed you.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

CyberCube

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 27, 2008, 12:46:11 am »

Hmm... hey, if you fall a looong distance into water, say, ten z-levels, do you explode on impact as if you'd hit solid ground or do you just get stunned and start drowning? Assuming you're a dabbling swimmer, of course.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 27, 2008, 03:54:12 am »

It's just getting stunned and drowning, I think.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

CyberCube

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 27, 2008, 12:38:24 pm »

Excellent. I don't think I'm going to join this just yet, but a long shaft that you have to jump down into water would be fun. Well, to me at least. But a way out of the water for non-swimmers is important. Remember that, if any of you decide to use something like that.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 27, 2008, 04:15:28 pm »

I'm not telling you what I'm going to do with all that power, and I'm quite competent with reactions thank you. But it's rather more ambitious than mere pumping projects...

Still, it shows that you still have no idea of what I'm building.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 27, 2008, 04:55:26 pm »

A massive automated obstacle-course-esque Zelda-ish Indiana Jones dungeon?

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 28, 2008, 03:35:30 pm »

YAY! That sounds awesome! Please, please continue, Boksi. Better taking a long time than every player skipping their turn. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 49