Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 49

Author Topic: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions  (Read 135146 times)

Teeto_K

• Bay Watcher
  • Deforesting Woodland Biomes
    • View Profile
Re: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions
« Reply #165 on: October 15, 2008, 07:59:48 pm »

Only named creatures appear to hang around to occupy your fort. I don't know if they will stay in the same place you put them though.

So, say you breach the demon pits, you MAY end up with demons scattered all over your former fort? Mmmm demony.
Refar Wrote:
They have not mastered the art of safe fishing, safe drinking of booze, safe [you name it]... Why would someone think they mastered safe sex?

How I dorf:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3901-thecitadelofartifice

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 15, 2008, 08:46:43 pm »

How is the current progress?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2008, 08:48:51 pm »

So the only way to ensure tha animals will stay in an abandoned fort is to feed a dwarf to them? Fair enough.
You might want to test that before you rely on it too heavily. Being named is the common trait between all of the creatures I have seen that will stay at a fort after you abandon (demons, megabeasts, and dwarf killer GCS) but there may be other factors.  For example, merchant's pack animals often stick around even though they appear nameless.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 15, 2008, 09:18:10 pm »

Perhaps I should have said 'a sure way' rather than the only way. Either way, named animals stick around at the abandoned fort.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 16, 2008, 11:10:33 pm »

Is anyone but me going to make a cathedral dedicated to some in-world god? I think that if a bunch of people are, it would be cool to have some architectural motifs in common.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 16, 2008, 11:44:01 pm »

I don't know the in world gods yet. If there is a suitable one, then I might. But I already have the architecture of my place mostly planned out already. I'd have to know what motifs you were thinking of before I could decide if they conflicted with my plans or not.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 17, 2008, 12:20:32 am »

Well, there's always Arkoth, god of Fate. We could make some sort of arbitrary symbol up and plaster it on things, I guess.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 17, 2008, 03:12:59 am »

so ecxatly how do we start? do we just down load the map and drag it onto the dwarf fortress folder? need instuctions, as im sure everyone does. as we need to do this the same way to aviod messing the map up

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 17, 2008, 09:36:52 am »

As I understand it, we take turns making various tourist traps on the map. One person downloads the current save and starts a fortress, builds their monument, ruins, dungeon or whatever, then zips the save (or the whole program with mods) and posts it here. The next person on the list downloads, rinse, lather, and repeat. (Said list is on the first page in the first post, by the way.)

It'll be a while till it gets to you or I, Micro. However, I need the time to get my plans written up, so I don't particularly mind.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 17, 2008, 10:20:33 am »

BTW I have another Community thing going on, that might intervene can I postpone my turn if needs be?
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #175 on: October 17, 2008, 01:13:17 pm »

A chance to conspicuously and blatently cheat? Count me in!

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 17, 2008, 01:38:09 pm »

I've got a design that i'd like to build, i will need a magma pipe for it though, so if i can reserve one pipe for my turn that would be great

i'll watch this thread, but also PM me when my turn comes up
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 17, 2008, 02:20:36 pm »

Well, there's always Arkoth, god of Fate. We could make some sort of arbitrary symbol up and plaster it on things, I guess.

What kind of a symbol would a dwarf god of fate have? Does this fate refer to the day to day lives of the dwarves? Maybe an hourglass to represent the passing of time, or something like dice to represent chance. Or this could refer to a consequence of actions, or justice sort of way, in which something like a hammer or chain would be more appropriate. If it refers to a more final fate, IE death, then a skull or scythe would work. Or if it refers to the fate of the dwarven nation as a whole, a crown might do.

Of all of these, the hourglass strikes me as the best idea, but tell me what you think.

Alternatively, perhaps we should make the symbol an object we can actually build, then have that kind of item laying around or stockpiled in treasure chests.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 17, 2008, 02:51:28 pm »

Arkoth means "prophecy".

Does he have any other spheres?
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 17, 2008, 04:56:19 pm »

If we're going with the fate one, I'm all for using skulls as their symbol.  They are easy to get in game by killing things, And huge images of skulls adds nicely to any dangerous dungeon's atmosphere.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 49