Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 49

Author Topic: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions  (Read 135164 times)

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Re: Combined project - The world of traps and attractions
« Reply #150 on: October 14, 2008, 11:46:55 pm »

I'll get in on this, I guess.  Haven't had too many amazing ideas, but I've got plenty of time to plot.  I'm thinking hillariously huge waterfalls and a climate that allows for proper aboveground farming (so no mountains) so I can build a "Hanging Gardens" type thing.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

EvilCheerio

• Bay Watcher
  • Whats Candlejack doing h
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 15, 2008, 02:55:20 am »

um, i totally want in on this, it's like playing DnD, except with one person (well, many different groups of 1 i guess) and they don't get made if you ruthlessly kill them off with all sorts of traps. This makes me with there was a way to engrave notes into your base, so you could make an epic adventure with puzzles.
Delicious wine biscuits
 A real dwarf can survive on meals consisting of Wine, beer, and more wine.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 15, 2008, 10:23:53 am »

Just include a small .txt file with ominous clues and ponderous, confusing riddles for the users to solve :3
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2008, 11:31:45 am »

Spell it out in large glass block letters.  Or mine it out,  channel it out, have a switch puzzle that fills certain channels (hidden among others) that spells it out...

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2008, 01:52:49 pm »

Hi, guys, I'm back! Finally home again with quite a bunch of time at hand. I updated the list, I guess. If I did something wrong, please don't hit me. Just correct me. ^^

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 15, 2008, 02:49:48 pm »

This sounds very interesting. I've got several ideas for potential dungeons/ temples/ ruins/ palaces for this. However, I also have little experience with modding. Would there be a way to get large amounts of glass blocks of various types without the need for charcoal or magma? A good supply of gems and valuable metal would be helpful as well.

If you could tell me how to do this, and reserve me a spot in the desert with a river or aquifer, I'd like to sign up.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 02:58:12 pm by Fortis »

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 15, 2008, 03:38:46 pm »

I don't think I can reserve you a spot... Well, maybe I could divide the whole world into squares and reserve spots for some people, but that would take hours. So, no, I probably won't do that. But I reckon there's more than enough desert.
BTW, you're officially signed up. :P

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 15, 2008, 04:00:36 pm »

sign me up, but i need some intructions on what to do. i see the link but when i download it where do i put it? do i delete my other fortress first? plus any other info that i might need to know.

why assign areas to people? it will look much better if everything is done naturally

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 15, 2008, 05:44:37 pm »

Hey Fortis, I think there's a reaction that makes charcoal out of lignite or something in there. You could probably use that.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 15, 2008, 05:56:13 pm »

Well, if you only want to use the materials you can already produce in the smelter, there's an easy solution. Open "reaction_standard.txt" in the /raw/objects folder and remove the "reagent"-line at the reaction you want to use. Then, you should be able to produce the stuff out of thin air.
You can also change the product to the material you want to use, but right now I don't feel like looking the tags up, because it's damn complicated! :D

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 15, 2008, 06:01:28 pm »

Heh, already did it. The world was generated like that, actually.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 15, 2008, 06:10:10 pm »

Yes, I know; I was just telling Fortis. It can be pretty handy. :P
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 07:15:42 pm by MC Dirty »

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 15, 2008, 06:17:23 pm »

Thanks for the info!

Anyway, will caged or contained animals remain in the fortress after it has been abandoned? Or will wild animals/ monsters automatically inhabit an abandoned fortress?

On a related note, is it possible to alter the product to, say, giant desert scorpions, caged or otherwise?

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 15, 2008, 06:29:21 pm »

As of my current tests:  Caged animals will die, so will all tame ones.  Contained wild ones seem to disappear.  Only named creatures appear to hang around to occupy your fort. I don't know if they will stay in the same place you put them though.

However all of the underground biome creature will move into your old forts over time.  A moderately large fort abandoned for a couple years will probably have a GCS in it somewhere.

You might be able to use Dwarf Companion to change the local wildlife to more interesting stock.  You have to save and reload before it works fully though, otherwise the animal keeps the old body file.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 15, 2008, 06:51:49 pm »

So the only way to ensure tha animals will stay in an abandoned fort is to feed a dwarf to them? Fair enough.

But I was wondering if I could use that smelter trick Mc Dirty mentioned to make said beasts.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 49